A new type of energy storage system could revolutionise energy storage and drop the charging time of electric cars from hours to seconds.
In a new paper published today in the journal Nature Chemistry, chemists from the University of Glasgow discuss how they developed a flow battery system using a nano-molecule that can store electric power or hydrogen gas giving a new type of hybrid energy storage system that can be used as a flow battery or for hydrogen storage.
Their ‘hybrid-electric-hydrogen’ flow battery, based upon the design of a nanoscale battery molecule can store energy, releasing the power on demand as electric power or hydrogen gas that can be used a fuel. When a concentrated liquid containing the nano-molecules is made, the amount of energy it can store increases by almost 10 times. The energy can be released as either electricity or hydrogen gas meaning that the system could be used flexibly in situations that might need either a fuel or electric power.
One potential benefit of this system is that electric cars could be charged in seconds, as the material is a pumpable liquid. This could mean that the battery of an electric car could be “recharged” in roughly the same length of time as petrol cars can be filled up. The old battery liquid would be removed at the same time and recharged ready to be used again.
The approach was designed and developed by Professor Leroy (Lee) Cronin, the University of Glasgow’s Regius Chair of Chemistry, and Dr Mark Symes, Senior Lecturer in Electrochemistry, also at the University of Glasgow with Dr Jia Jia Chen, who is a researcher in the team. They are convinced that this result will help pave the way for the development of new energy storage systems that could be used in electric cars, for the storage of renewable energy, and to develop electric-to-gas energy systems for when a fuel is required.
Professor Cronin said: “For future renewables to be effective high capacity and flexible energy storage systems are needed to smooth out the peaks and troughs in supply. Our approach will provide a new route to do this electrochemically and could even have application in electric cars where batteries can still take hours to recharge and have limited capacity. Moreover, the very high energy density of our material could increase the range of electric cars, and also increase the resilience of energy storage systems to keep the lights on at times of peak demand.”
The Latest on: Energy storage
via Google News
The Latest on: Energy storage
- 2 Top Renewable Energy Stocks to Buy Right Nowon January 16, 2020 at 8:59 am
There's also the long-awaited ramp of the Encharge energy storage portfolio, which will be closely watched in 2020. In other words, analysts worried that the company's market share in microinverters ...
- Ion Storage Systems Hires Energy Industry Leaderon January 16, 2020 at 8:56 am
WASHINGTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Ion Storage Systems (ISS), inventor of the game changing solid state battery technology, has named Ricky Hanna as CEO. Hanna will transition the breakthrough technology ...
- Dominion Energy Moves Forward with Electric School Bus Programon January 16, 2020 at 7:39 am
Electric school buses will soon be on the roads in Virginia safely carrying children and reducing emissions as Dominion Energy moves forward with the nation's largest electric school bus deployment.
- Wind, Storage and EVs Are Racing Ahead While Wider Green Investment Stallson January 16, 2020 at 7:11 am
A few renewable energy technologies are bracing for rapid growth, breaking away from stagnation in investment across the whole industry last year. A BloombergNEF report that counted $282.2 billion in ...
- How Far Should California Shift Its Storage Incentives to Protect From Blackouts?on January 16, 2020 at 6:20 am
California may reserve the bulk of its main storage incentive for those most vulnerable to blackouts. Battery vendors like Sunrun and Tesla say the program needs more flexibility. California's 2020 ...
- A Battery Of Opportunities: NEC Energy Solutions Looks To The Future Of Energy Storageon January 16, 2020 at 5:43 am
When NEC Energy Solutions CEO Steve Fludder looks at today’s electric power grid, he sees a network of conventional power plants, wires, and poles that have generated and transported power for well ...
- India's Materials Start-up Ecosystem, 2019 - The Need for Material Innovations for Mobility, Packaging, and Energy Storage is Driving the Ecosystemon January 15, 2020 at 5:15 am
/PRNewswire/ -- The "Assessment of Materials Start-up Ecosystem in India" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. This research study ...
- Advanced Energy Storage Systems Market 2020 Analysis Focusing On Top Companies- ABB Ltd. , Samsung SDI Co. Ltd. , Saft Groupe S.A. , Evapcoon January 15, 2020 at 1:08 am
New Jersey, United States, - The report titled Advanced Energy Storage Systems Market is one of the most comprehensive and important additions to Verified Market Research's archive of market research ...
- NEC Energy Solutions to Provide 100MW of Grid Energy Storage Projects in Northern Ireland for Gore Street Energy Storage Fundon January 14, 2020 at 4:00 am
WESTBOROUGH, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--NEC Energy Solutions, Inc. (NEC ES), announced today it will provide 100MW of energy storage in Northern Ireland for the Gore Street Energy Storage Fund (GSF) and ...
via Bing News