MU scientists take a new look at the importance of keeping your eyes on the road
With the recent advances in vehicle-assisted safety technology and in-car displays, this old adage has a new meaning, thanks to two new applications of eye-tracking technology developed by researchers at the University of Missouri.
Designing a better collision avoidance warning
Observing how someone’s eyes change — specifically the pupil — while they respond to an alert given by a vehicle collision avoidance warning could one day help scientists design safer systems.
“Prior to a crash, drivers can be easily distracted by an alert from a collision avoidance warning — a popular feature in new vehicles — and we feel this could be a growing problem in distraction-related vehicle crashes,” said Jung Hyup Kim, an assistant professor of industrial and manufacturing systems engineering in the MU College of Engineering. “Therefore, a two-way communication channel needs to exist between a driver and a vehicle. For instance, if a driver is aware of a possible crash, then the vehicle does not have to warn the driver as much. However, if a vehicle provides an alert that, by itself, creates a distraction, it could also cause a crash.”
Kim and Xiaonan Yang, a graduate student at MU, watched how people’s pupils changed in response to their physical reactions to a collision avoidance warning by a vehicle-assisted safety system. Researchers believe they have enough data to begin the next step of developing a two-way communication model.
Evaluating rear-end accidents from a driver’s perspective
A person’s pupil could also help scientists find a way to decrease distracted driving crashes through a first-hand perspective into a driver’s behavior, according to Kim and Rui Tang, a graduate student at MU. Using a driving simulator at the MU College of Engineering, the researchers evaluated a driver’s physical behavior in real-time by focusing on the driver’s eyes as the crash happened.
“We saw the size of a person’s pupil changed depending on the behavioral response to the severity of the accident,” Kim said. “Now, we want to take that data, find common patterns and build a model to test how we could help decrease distracted-driving crashes.”
The conference papers, “Evaluating rear-end vehicle accident using pupillary analysis in a driving similar environment,” and “Pupillary response and EMG predict upcoming responses to collision avoidance warning,” were presented at the 2019 International Conference on Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics in Washington, D.C.
The Latest on: Eye-tracking technology
via Google News
The Latest on: Eye-tracking technology
- Eye Tracking Market 2020 Industry Outlook, Comprehensive Insights, Growth and Forecast 2025 – Market Research Engineon January 9, 2020 at 10:50 pm
New York, January 10, 2020: The report covers detailed competitive outlook including the market share and company profiles of the key participants operating in the global market. Key players profiled ...
- Tobii Brings Eye Tracking to VR Headsets for Faster Frame Rateson January 9, 2020 at 11:02 am
It's done through tech Tobii is calling foveated rendering. It leverages an eye tracking sensor in the headset, which allows graphics quality outside of the wearer's angle of view to be rendered at ...
- CES 2020 car show features liquid crystal sun visors, EyeLocks, and smart LiDARon January 9, 2020 at 3:18 am
More and more cars are using digital displays to present information to drivers. Bosch's 3D display uses passive 3D technology, meaning there are no glasses or eye-tracking cameras. Instead, the ...
- Eye Tracking 2020 Global Market Net Worth US$ 2,142 million Forecast By 2026on January 9, 2020 at 1:05 am
“Eye Tracking Market” WiseGuyReports.Com Publish a New Market Research Report On –" Eye Tracking 2020 Global Market Net Worth US$ 2,142 million Forecast By ...
- 13 Taiwan startups win CES 2020 Innovation Awardson January 8, 2020 at 7:09 pm
Happy Island's bone-conduction music shells (MP3) for use by swimmers, YunYun Tech's smart baby camera integrating AI with vision technology, and Ganzin Technology's eye tracking solutions that can be ...
- Ganzin Technology's Eye Tracking Module Combines the Virtual and Real World, Replacing the Hand-operated User Interfaceon January 6, 2020 at 7:00 am
- Eye Tracking Market Worth $1,786 Million by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarketson January 6, 2020 at 2:31 am
The increasing penetration of eye tracking technology in the consumer electronics vertical, and high demand for eye trackers for personalized advertisements and consumer research purposes are a few ...
- Eye Tracking Market Worth $1,786 Million by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets™on January 6, 2020 at 2:30 am
/PRNewswire/ -- According to the new market research report "Eye Tracking Market by Offering (Hardware, Software, and Services), Tracking Type (Remote ...
- Pico reveals Neo 2 Eye VR headset with eye tracking and Boundless XRon January 5, 2020 at 6:47 am
But it turns out the company still had some surprises left to reveal. Today, it formally announced two separate Neo 2 family headsets: Pico Neo 2 Standard and Neo 2 Eye, the latter incorporating Tobii ...
- Eye Tracking Market 2020: Global Industry Trends, Sales Revenue, Industry Growth by 2025 – MRE Analysison January 1, 2020 at 7:13 pm
New York, January 01, 2020: The Eye Tracking Market is segmented on the lines of its offering, application, tracking type, vertical and regional. Based on offering it covers Hardware, Software and ...
via Bing News