A replacement for oil has become a burning need in the 21st century
A replacement for oil has become a burning need in the 21st century, with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu having made it clear that for the Jewish state at least, developing oil alternative is a national priority.
Ben-Gurion University of the Negev (BGU) researchers have invented a process to make a green feed alternative for crude oil out of two of the most common substances on Earth – water and carbon dioxide, which is a greenhouse gas detrimental to the environment. The project is partially supported by I-SAEF (Israel Strategic Alternative Energy Foundation).
Prof. Moti Herskowitz, Prof. Miron Landau, Dr. Roxana Vidruk and the team at BGU’s Blechner Center of Industrial Catalysis and Process Development have developed a green feed that can be converted using well-established technologies into liquid fuel and delivered using existing infrastructure to gas stations. As opposed to other alternative fuel sources, such as electric cars, which require additional infrastructure, this green feed would merely replace oil as the input for refineries.
Herskowitz unveiled the revolutionary breakthrough at the Bloomberg Fuel Choices Summit in Tel Aviv last week, on Wednesday, November 13th.
“It is an extraordinary challenge to convert carbon dioxide and hydrogen to green feed,” says Herskowitz. “The technology is based on novel specially tailored catalysts and catalytic processes. Well-established, commercially available technology can be directly applied to the process developed at BGU. It is envisaged that the short-term implementation of the process will combine synthetic gas produced from various renewable and alternative sources with carbon dioxide and hydrogen.”
Prof. Herskowitz, who is the Israel Cohen Chair in Chemical Engineering and the VP & Dean at BGU, indicated that the new process should become a reality in the near future.
“It is an extraordinary challenge to convert carbon dioxide and hydrogen to green feed,” says Herskowitz, “The technology is based on novel specially tailored catalysts and catalytic processes. Well-established, commercially available technology can be directly applied to the process developed at Ben Gurion University. It is envisaged that the short-term implementation of the process will combine synthetic gas produced from various renewable and alternative sources with carbon dioxide and hydrogen. Since there are no foreseen technological barriers, the new process should become a reality within five to ten years,” he says.
Regarding other alternative fuels, Herskowitz maintains that his invention represents a game-changer.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- At Sea-Tac Airport, where emissions are rising, Gov. Inslee pitches low-carbon fuel standardon January 10, 2020 at 10:41 am
“What I am saying, there is an alternative to doing what the environmentalists want and what the governor wants.” Last session, the low-carbon fuel standard bill died in Hobbs’ committee, as Democrats ...
- Greens launch campaign targeting fossil fuel divestmenton January 10, 2020 at 7:00 am
Major national environmental groups are launching a new effort today to prod banks, insurers and financial regulators to divest from fossil fuels. — House Democrats' sweeping bill to tackle ... W.Va.
- Alternative Aviation Fuels Gaining Traction Amid Sustainability Issueson January 9, 2020 at 4:54 pm
More airlines are buying sustainable fuel and more production capacity is coming on line, but cost remains a major issue. As a subscriber to one of Aviation Week Network’s market briefings ...
- Nikkiso Cryogenic Industries Group Acquires GP Strategies’ Alternative Fuels Divisionon January 8, 2020 at 4:29 pm
TEMECULA, Calif., Jan. 08, 2020 -- Nikkiso Cryogenic Industries’ Clean Energy and Industrial Gases Group (“Group”), a subsidiary of Nikkiso Co., Ltd (Japan), closed the.
- BRIEF-GP Strategies Divests Its Alternative Fuels Divisionon January 8, 2020 at 1:17 pm
GP Strategies Corp: * GP STRATEGIES DIVESTS ITS ALTERNATIVE FUELS DIVISION * GP STRATEGIES CORP - SALE WAS EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2020 * GP STRATEGIES - DIVESTED ITS ALTERNATIVE FUELS DIVISION TO ...
- GP Strategies Divests Its Alternative Fuels Divisionon January 8, 2020 at 12:15 pm
- Alternative Fuel Vehicles Market 2018 To Collect Hugh Revenues Due To Growth In Demandon January 7, 2020 at 3:27 am
Acumenresearchandconsulting.com started a new study on the global Alternative Fuel Vehicles market, with the help of a comprehensive outlook, provides readers with an assessment of the global market ...
- JetBlue moves to use renewable fuel and become first carbon-neutral U.S. airlineon January 6, 2020 at 11:22 am
JetBlue also will purchase renewable jet fuel from Finland’s Neste Oyj, mixing between 25% and 40% of the alternative with conventional fuel to power the airline’s 17 daily flights from San Francisco ...
- JetBlue to use alternative fuel source on flights out of San Franciscoon January 6, 2020 at 7:37 am
Jan 6 (Reuters) - JetBlue Airways Corp on Monday said it would use an alternative fuel source for flights leaving from San Francisco and plans to curb carbon dioxide emissions from jet fuel for ...
- UDOT launches opt-in mileage charge for alternative-fuel vehicleson January 4, 2020 at 1:30 pm
A program launched on the first day of the year aims to do just that. The Road Usage Charge program started by UDOT gives Utah drivers of alternative-fuel vehicles the option of paying by the number ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Replacement for oil
The Latest Bing News on:
Replacement for oil
- Contango Oil & Gas Is Buying Its Way Backon January 11, 2020 at 10:52 am
Every now and then the most important part of the quarter is not the earnings. That was definitely the case for Contango Oil & Gas (MCF). The company replaced its credit agreement with a new 5-year ...
- She went head-to-head with an oil company five times the size of her own. And won.on January 10, 2020 at 7:48 am
How Vicki Hollub, the CEO of Occidental Petroleum and the first woman to lead an American oil company, outmuscled Chevron.
- How an escalation in the Iran conflict could help Russian oilon January 10, 2020 at 6:43 am
The big picture: That could result via the unlikely — but not impossible — event that Iran shut down oil tanker traffic through the Strait ... "Not only does Russia produce the 'right' quality of ...
- Deep Down Receives Orders for Emergency Repairs to Subsea Oil and Gas Umbilicalson January 10, 2020 at 4:29 am
HOUSTON, Jan. 10, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Deep Down, Inc. (otcqb:DPDW), a specialist in subsea oil and gas production control equipment and services, today announced that it has received orders from ...
- Egyptian Govt Could Move To Cash Disbursements For Needy Residentson January 10, 2020 at 3:49 am
The Egyptian government is investigating the possibility of a feasible transition to a limited, new cash payment system that would replace the ration cards on which tens of millions ... through more ...
- Asia's crude supplies could be disrupted if Iraqi oil facilities are targetedon January 9, 2020 at 11:52 pm
Middle East tensions heightened after Iran targeted more than a dozen ballistic missiles against U.S. forces in Iraq.
- Get garden tools in shape for new yearon January 9, 2020 at 4:17 pm
Winter is the time for gardeners and the garden to rest. During this slower gardening period, take the time to check and prepare garden tools for the tasks that begin in spring. Repairing, cleaning ...
- Trump says America doesn't need Middle East oil. It's not that simpleon January 9, 2020 at 4:04 pm
Only Saudi Arabia has the spare capacity required to rapidly respond to a shortage. That's why Trump pleaded with Saudi Arabia in 2018 to pump more oil to replace barrels sidelined by sanctions on ...
- Rising Need For Replacement of Metallic and Non-conductive PVC and ABS Pipes in End-user Industries to Drive Market Demand - ResearchAndMarkets.comon January 7, 2020 at 8:56 am
Pipelines are mainly used to transport and distribute oil, gas, fuels, chemicals, and water in end-applications including oil ... This study evaluates the potential of using electrically conductive ...
- 5 Energy ETFs to Buy for Higher Oil Priceson January 3, 2020 at 11:23 am
were a miserable bet in 2019. Indeed, the energy sector was the worst-performing sector by a mile, gaining less than 5% - far below the S&P; 500's 29% return, and significantly lagging even the second ...