Device could deliver wave energy to thousands
The device costs less than conventional designs, has fewer moving parts, and is made of durable materials.
It is designed to be incorporated into existing ocean energy systems and can convert wave power into electricity.
Small scale experiments in an ocean simulator show that one full-size device could generate the equivalent of 500kW, enough electricity for about 100 homes.
Engineers say that their design could be used in fleets of low-cost, easily maintained structures at sea within decades, to take advantage of powerful waves in Scottish waters.
Engineers from the University of Edinburgh and from Italy developed their device – known as a Dielectric Elastomer Generator (DEG) – using flexible rubber membranes.
It is designed to fit on top of a vertical tube which, when placed in the sea, partially fills with water that rises and falls with wave motion.
As waves pass the tube, the water inside pushes trapped air above to inflate and deflate the generator on top of the device.
As the membrane inflates, a voltage is generated. This increases as the membrane deflates, and electricity is produced. In a commercial device, this electricity would be transported to shore via underwater cables.
A scaled-down version of the system was tested in the FloWave facility at the University of Edinburgh, a 25m diameter circular tank that can reproduce any combination of ocean waves and currents.
The system could replace conventional designs, involving complex air turbines and expensive moving parts.
Learn more: Device could deliver wave energy to thousands
The Latest on: Wave energy
via Google News
The Latest on: Wave energy
- Cracking 60-year-old mystery of Sun's magnetic waveson December 2, 2019 at 11:39 am
Scientists have accepted for a long time that magnetic waves channel energy from the Sun's vast interior energy reservoir, which is powered by nuclear fusion, up into the outer regions of its ...
- 'Waves' Director Trey Edward Shults Reveals His Painful Film Is Largely Autobiographicalon December 2, 2019 at 10:00 am
D.C. premiere of "Waves" last month when a young man in the audience stood up and shared how the film had inspired him to open his own new line of communication with his father. “That night was ...
- Scientist leads international team to crack 60-year-old mystery of Sun's magnetic waveson December 2, 2019 at 8:58 am
However, this is the opposite of what seems to happen on the Sun - its outer layers are warmer than the heat source at its surface. Scientists have accepted for a long time that magnetic waves channel ...
- Controlling the optical properties of solids with acoustic waveson December 2, 2019 at 7:33 am
To do this, the researchers launched a high-frequency (hundreds of gigahertz), large-amplitude acoustic wave in a material using ultrashort laser pulses ... a cheap and abundant semiconductor that is ...
- 8 powerful Nigerians making waves in Africa’s energy sectoron December 2, 2019 at 4:54 am
The African Energy Chamber has released a list of the top 25 movers and shakers in the energy sector to watch. It features eight names from Nigeria including Aliko Dangote, Mohammad Sanusi Barkindo, ...
- Toward more efficient computing, with magnetic waveson December 1, 2019 at 1:28 pm
"By using this narrow domain wall, we can modulate the spin wave and create these two separate states, without any real energy costs. We just rely on spin waves and intrinsic magnetic material." ...
- Solution to Overheating Mobile Phones Using Spin Waves and Magnon Torqueon December 1, 2019 at 10:01 am
Now, a ground-breaking study conducted by researchers from NUS Electrical and Computer Engineering has found a new efficient way of using ‘spin waves’ to switch magnetization at room temperature for ...
- Kofi Kingston loves the South’s energy and passion as WWE 'SmackDown’ returns to Alabamaon November 29, 2019 at 7:46 am
After debuting in World Wrestling Entertainment in 2008 and grinding for 10 straight years as one of the industry’s most electrifying in-ring performers, he rode a wave of fan support to a WWE ...
- Is Wave and Tidal Energy Market Trapped Between Growth Expectations and Uncertainty?on November 29, 2019 at 3:33 am
Nov 29, 2019 (HTF Market Intelligence via COMTEX) -- Advance Market Analytics recently introduced Global Wave and Tidal Energy Market study with in-depth overview, describing about the Product / ...
- Wave and Tidal Energy Market Outlook and Growth Stance Forecasted Through 2029on November 27, 2019 at 1:30 am
Nov 27, 2019 (AmericaNewsHour) -- Factors Driving the Market Growth: - Increased R&D investments In contrast to wave technology, the tidal stream, which transforms kinetic energy into electricity, saw ...
via Bing News