via Tohoku University
Researchers have solved a major problem for optical wireless communications – the process by which light carries information between cell phones and other devices. Light-emitting diodes (LEDs) pulse their light in a coded message that recipient devices can understand.
Now, a team of researchers based in Japan has married the two options into the ideal combination of long lasting and fast LEDs. They published their results on July 22 in Applied Physics Letters.
“A key technology for faster modulation is to decrease the device size,” said paper author Kazunobu Kojima, associate professor at the Institute of Multidisciplinary Research for Advanced Materials at Tohoku University.” However, this tactic creates a dilemma: although smaller LEDs can be modulated faster, they have lower power.”
Another issue is that both visible and infrared optical wireless communications can have significant solar interference, according to Kojima. To avoid confusion with visible and infrared solar light, the researchers aimed to improve LEDs that specifically communicate via deep ultraviolet light, which can be detected without solar interference.
“Deep ultraviolet LEDs are currently mass produced in factories for applications related to COVID-19,” Kojima said, noting that deep ultraviolet light is used for sterilization processes as well as in solar-blind optical wireless communications. “So, they’re cheap and practical to use.”
The researchers fabricated the deep ultraviolet LEDs on sapphire templates, which are considered an inexpensive substrate, and measured their transmission speed. They found that the deep ultraviolet LEDs were smaller and much quicker in their communications than traditional LEDs at that speed.
“The mechanism underlying this speed is in how a lot of tiny LEDs self-organize in a single deep ultraviolet LED,” Kojima said. “The tiny LED ensemble helps with both power and speed.”
The researchers want to use the deep ultraviolet LEDs in 5G wireless networks. Many technologies are currently under testing to contribute 5G, and Li-Fi, or light fidelity, is one of the candidate technologies.
“Li-Fi’s critical weakness is its solar dependency,” Kojima said. “Our deep ultraviolet LED-based optical wireless technology can compensate for this problem and contribute to society, I hope.”
This work was supported in part by Five-Star Alliance and the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science.
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Deep ultraviolet LEDs
- UV light disinfection, foot pedals for lifts: Delhi Metro to bank on tech push for safe rideon September 5, 2020 at 11:09 am
DMRC managing director Mangu Singh said the Delhi Metro was trying out “tech friendly” ways to ease the commute and ensure safety of passengers.
- ISRO's AstroSat detects galaxy that is one of the earliest sources of UV-light in spaceon September 2, 2020 at 5:35 am
Ultraviolet (UV) light originating from a galaxy called AUDFs01 that is 9.3 billion light-years away from Earth.There are three subdivisions of ultraviolet radiation: near-ultraviolet (NUV), middle ...
- Indian Satellite Discovers One of the Earliest Galaxieson August 26, 2020 at 2:27 am
A team of international astronomers has laid claim to the discovery of UV light emanating from a galaxy 9.3 billion light-years away from Earth, using India's AstroSat.
- 7 Best UV Sterilizer Box For Gadgets In 2020on August 25, 2020 at 5:56 am
SUNUV's UV LED Sterilizing Box specializes in UV LED cleaning ... It's great for accessories with its wide, large, and deep base giving it a sanitizing capacity of 1.6x3.9x7.1 inches to fit ...
- Indian satellite AstroSat detects extreme ultraviolet (UV) light from galaxyon August 24, 2020 at 10:49 pm
has detected extreme-UV light from a galaxy, called AUDFs01, 9.3 billion light-years away from Earth," it said. The discovery was made by an international team of astronomers led by Dr Kanak Saha ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Deep ultraviolet LEDs
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Everything you need to know about Wi-Fi on the Mac, iPhone, or iPadon September 5, 2020 at 9:22 am
Fi numbering system doesn't help explain the technology, speeds, and limitations all that well. This essential guide will explain all you need to know about the names and terminology of Wi-Fi ...
- Light Fidelity (Li-Fi) Devices Market Research Report 2020-2029 Also Understand The Impact Of Covid-19 Situation Across The Globeon September 3, 2020 at 4:33 am
Devices Market 2020. Straits Research announces the addition of its new research report titled, “Light Fidelity (Li-Fi) Devices Market Survey an ...
- Wireless Fidelity (Wi-Fi) and Light Fidelity (Li-Fi) Market Outlook By Industry Size, Share, Revenue, Regions and Top Key Players Analysison September 2, 2020 at 7:53 am
Fi has emerged that uses visible light communication instead of radio signals. Li-Fi delivers high-speed in a much more secure way that even the latest Wi-Fi advancements cannot offer. Li-Fi allows ...
- Signify and Edzcom partner to push Li-Fi for manufacturingon September 2, 2020 at 7:51 am
Edzcom builds and operates private wireless networks at the edge, connecting assets, equipment and people in the most challenging environments. These include the manufacturing, mining and oil and gas ...
- POE LED Lighting Market 2019 – Industry Size, Share, Dynamics, Status, Outlook And Opportunities: 2026on September 1, 2020 at 11:01 pm
According to a report by Fortune Business Insights, the globalPOE LED Lightingmarket will rise from a value of ...