Durham University engineers have been inspired by nature to create what they say is the first manufactured non-cuttable material.
They got the idea for the new lightweight material from the tough cellular skin of the grapefruit and the fracture resistant shells of the abalone sea creature.
The material – called Proteus after the shape-changing mythical god – could be used in the security and health and safety industries.
It’s made from alumina ceramic spheres encased in a cellular aluminium, metallic foam structure and works by turning back the force of a cutting tool on itself.
In tests Proteus could not be cut by angle grinders, drills or high-pressure water jets.
When cut with an angle grinder or drill, the interlocking vibrational connection created by the ceramic spheres inside the casing blunts the cutting disc or drill bit.
The ceramics also fragment into fine particles, which fill the cellular structure of the material and harden as the speed of the cutting tool is increased
Essentially cutting the material is like cutting through a jelly filled with nuggets – if you get through the jelly you hit the nuggets and the material vibrates in such a way that it destroys the cutting disc or drill bit.
Water jets are also ineffective because the curved surfaces of the ceramic spheres widen the jet to substantially reduces its speed and weaken its cutting capacity.
Our researchers say Proteus could be used to make bike locks, lightweight armour and in protective equipment for people who work with cutting tools.
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Designing the most effective - and comfortable- face mask yeton September 3, 2020 at 10:55 pm
"If we want to reopen the economy and ask people to go back to work, we need a mask that is both comfortable and effective," said Sundaresan Jayaraman, the Kolon Professor in Georgia Tech's School of ...
- aluminium foamon August 28, 2020 at 5:00 pm
How cool would it be if there was a material that couldn’t be cut or drilled into? You could make the baddest bike lock, the toughest-toed work boots, or the most secure door. Really ...
- Bioinspired material can’t be cuton August 19, 2020 at 9:57 am
According to the team, the new material could find applications in security, such as doors and bicycle locks, and personal health and safety equipment, such as non-cuttable elbow pads or reinforced ...
- Cosmic Rays Might Have Played a Role in Shaping Our Genetic Materialson August 14, 2020 at 2:49 pm
DNA, whose signature double helix structure scored Watson and Crick (and Frankland presumably according to many) a Nobel prize, lies the center of the genetic coding system of life on Earth. Its ...
- First -80°C Liquid Nitrogen-Based, Automated Storage System to Offer Inventory Control and Reporting Capabilitieson August 14, 2020 at 12:53 am
The patented design automatically locates and lifts the storage racks and will eject the targeted material upon the user indicating they are ready to receive it. This design of the BioStore IIIv ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Global Connected Medical Technology Market 2020 Growth Opportunities, Market Shares, Future Estimations and Key Countries by 2025on September 7, 2020 at 3:19 pm
The recently launched report namely Global Connected Medical Technology Market 2020 by Company, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 by MarketsandResearch.biz presents industry states and ...
- Medicines for Asthma, Jaundice can prevent COVID, say Malayalee researcherson September 5, 2020 at 10:20 pm
Some medicines prescribed for asthma and jaundice can prevent COVID-19, according to a study by Malayalee researchers. A group of researchers in Kannur University and Bengaluru Kristu Jayanti college ...
- Online Medical Market to Witness Huge Growth by 2026 | Key Players: BaiDu, Alibaba, Tencent, DingXianYuanon September 3, 2020 at 2:37 pm
Market Development Scenario " Study has been added to HTF MI database. The study covers in-depth overview, description about the Product, Industry Scope and elaborates market outlook and growth status ...
- Shionogi Granted New Technology Add-on Payment For FETROJA ® (Cefiderocol) by CMSon September 3, 2020 at 12:13 pm
Shionogi announces that CMS has granted a NTAP for FETROJA® (cefiderocol) when administered in the hospital inpatient setting.
- All-electric Skoda Enyaq pricing confirmed | New Release - Car News Sep 2020on September 3, 2020 at 1:12 am
An all-electric version of the Skoda Enyaq will go on UK sale later this year, priced from £33,450. The all-new Skoda Enyaq iV comes in two model variants, the iV60 with a 62kWh battery, and the iV80 ...