A NEWLY DEVELOPED FABRIC REPELS WATER AND ALLOWS MOISTURE TO EVAPORATE FROM THE SKIN.
Air conditioning and other space cooling methods account for about 10% of all electricity consumption in the U.S., according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration. Now, researchers reporting in ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces have developed a material that cools the wearer without using any electricity. The fabric transfers heat, allows moisture to evaporate from the skin and repels water. Watch a video about the new fabric here.
Cooling off a person’s body is much more efficient than cooling an entire room or building. Various clothing and textiles have been designed to do just that, but most have disadvantages, such as poor cooling capacity; large electricity consumption; complex, time-consuming manufacturing; and/or high cost. Yang Si, Bin Ding and colleagues wanted to develop a personal cooling fabric that could efficiently transfer heat away from the body, while also being breathable, water repellent and easy to make.
The researchers made the new material by electrospinning a polymer (polyurethane), a water-repelling version of the polymer (fluorinated polyurethane) and a thermally conductive filler (boron nitride nanosheets) into nanofibrous membranes. These membranes repelled water from the outside, but they had large enough pores to allow sweat to evaporate from the skin and air to circulate. The boron nitride nanosheets coated the polymer nanofibers, forming a network that conducted heat from an inside source to the outside air. In tests, the thermal conductivity was higher than that of many other conventional or high-tech fabrics. The membrane could be useful not only for personal cooling, but also for solar energy collection, seawater desalination and thermal management of electronic devices, the researchers say.
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Another Heat Wave: City Of Citrus Heights Hosting A Cooling Centeron September 5, 2020 at 4:02 am
If you are unable to cool off, please visit the City's Cooling Center at the Community Center (6300 Fountain Square Drive). This service is open to the public to help our community avoid heat-related ...
- Earth911 Reader: EV Savings, Cooling Clothing, Saving $50 Trillion Over 30 Yearson September 5, 2020 at 2:09 am
In this week's Earth911 Reader, dive into Electric Vehicle savings, cooling clothing, global climate actions that can save $50 trillion over the next 30 years, and much more.
- The best athletic wear for staying cool in hot weatheron September 1, 2020 at 7:15 am
Companies have embraced what are called cool touch materials for all sorts of products. Bedsheets that will ease hot flashes, facial tissues that will calm a sore nose, or a busin ...
- Zazzle's Face Mask Is The Most Cooling I've Tried This Summeron August 31, 2020 at 7:12 pm
Not only are they great in the heat, they're $12.95, come with a pocket for a filter, and are fully customizable, y'all.
- This Company Is Re-branding Linen as a Luxury Fabric. Here's Why You Should Careon August 31, 2020 at 6:00 am
The vibrant shades of pure linen make for an instant upgrade to your home—an easy touch of elegance and luxury.
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Personal cooling fabric
- Zazzle's Face Mask Is The Most Cooling I've Tried This Summeron August 31, 2020 at 7:43 pm
But what I love the most about them is how genuinely cooling the fabric feels on your face. I cannot claim any scientific validity to this statement, but I personally *feel* like this mask is ten ...
- 21 Best Luxury Bedroom Items for a 5-Star Hotel Experienceon August 28, 2020 at 9:17 pm
The mattress, which is made with cooling gel foam and caliber coil ... can help you achieve the same effect in your bedroom. The non-woven fabric can be used to create a backdrop for your bed ...
- 7 Pairs of Cooling Pajamas, So You Don’t Wake Up In a Puddle of Sweaton August 26, 2020 at 2:01 pm
Below, shop our picks for cooling pajamas. This pink chemise says, “I wake up in the morning to birds chirping and then drink an herbal tea while dyeing fabrics using berries I picked in the ...
- Uniqlo Just Turned Its Signature Cooling Material Into Breathable Face Maskson August 24, 2020 at 11:35 am
Uniqlo just dropped a line of face masks made of its signature cooling material dubbed Airism. Previously reserved for casual tops, leggings, workout gear, loungewear, and undergarments, the special ...
- Uniqlo Just Turned Its Signature Cooling Material Into Breathable Face Maskson August 24, 2020 at 10:31 am
It seems like every day another fashion brand releases its own take on personal protective equipment ... a line of face masks made of its signature cooling material dubbed Airism.