via Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering
With easy-to-use tests, everyone can check themselves every day.
Simple at-home tests for the coronavirus, some that involve spitting into a small tube of solution, could be the key to expanding testing and impeding the spread of the pandemic. The Food and Drug Administration should encourage their development and then fast track approval.
One variety, paper-strip tests, are inexpensive and easy enough to make that Americans could test themselves every day. You would simply spit into a tube of saline solution and insert a small piece of paper embedded with a strip of protein. If you are infected with enough of the virus, the strip will change color within 15 minutes.
via The New York Times
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Is COVID-19 spreading at Oregon’s bars? Contact tracers aren’t askingon August 9, 2020 at 6:09 am
Oregon says bars aren’t COVID-19 hotspots and won’t shutter them, but contact tracers aren't asking if sickened people have been to one recently.
- Giants Making the Right Choices to Keep COVID-19 Outbreaks at Bayon August 9, 2020 at 6:07 am
The COVID-19 virus has shown it doesn't discriminate. But with the NFL having had months to learn from other sports leagues, thus far, the response of players, coaches, and support staff has been ...
- Coronavirus Live Updates: Latest News and Analysison August 9, 2020 at 5:27 am
President Trump signed executive measures for pandemic relief as stimulus talks stalled. And Brazil reached two coronavirus milestones: more than 100,000 deaths and more than three million cases.
- As U.S. infections near 5 million, Fauci says public should temper expectations on COVID-19 vaccineon August 9, 2020 at 4:53 am
You must never abandon the public-health approach,’ Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told a ...
- Fed's Kashkari calls for 6-week economic shutdown to control coronavirus spreadon August 9, 2020 at 3:17 am
Neel Kashkari, president of the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, called for a nationwide economic shutdown for up to six weeks to get coronavirus under control on Friday, warning that the rest of ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
At-home tests for Covid-19
- From at-home virus tests to wearable COVID monitors, a futurist shares his tech forecaston August 9, 2020 at 4:05 am
Are we on the verge of virus-sensing implants and virtual hamster balls? Futurist Paul Saffo tells us which inventions are on the horizon and what will only be found in sci-fi stories.
- How to stop the COVID-19 pandemic? Harvard doc says cheap tests are the answer.on August 9, 2020 at 3:23 am
Harvard infectious disease expert Dr. Michael Mina says use of frequent, cheap tests could quell COVID-19 outbreaks in a matter of weeks.
- More Michigan teens testing positive for COVID-19 after proms and partieson August 9, 2020 at 3:17 am
More younger people testing positive for COVID-19 in Michigan, spots across United States and world. WHO leader: "Young people are not invincible." ...
- US kids, parents perform DIY tests for coronavirus scienceon August 8, 2020 at 5:32 pm
In a comfy suburb just outside Nashville, a young family swabs their noses twice a month in a DIY study seeking answers to some of the most vexing questions about the coronavirus. How many U.S.
- A business spends $800 a week to test staff for COVID-19. Could rapid, cheap tests help?on August 8, 2020 at 2:50 pm
Experts say antigen tests could be used by businesses and universities where there is a demand for frequent, rapid testing.