A research team led by Shinshu University’s Tsuyoshi Takata, Takashi Hisatomi and Kazunari Domen succeeded in developing a photocatalyst that can split water into hydrogen and oxygen at a quantum efficiency close to 100%.
The team consisted of their colleagues from Yamaguchi University, The University of Tokyo and National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST).
The team produced an ideal photocatalyst structure composed of semiconductor particles and cocatalysts. H2 and O2 evolution cocatalysts were selectively photodeposited on different facets of crystalline SrTiO3(Al-doped) particles due to anisotropic charge transport. This photocatalyst structure effectively prevented charge recombination losses, reaching the upper limit of quantum efficiency.
This study refined the design and operating principle for advancing water splitting methods with a high quantum efficiency. The knowledge obtained in this study will propel the field of photocatalytic water splitting further to enable the scalable solar hydrogen production.
(Images:Structure and function of the developed photocatalyst for efficient water splitting.)
This study was reviewed in News & Views and selected as a Hot Topic with the same issue and journal.
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Former businessman who lives as a 'sea gypsy' and spends up to six weeks without seeing land or another person after splitting from his wife tells Ben Fogle the key to his ...on June 23, 2020 at 10:17 am
Rick Page, from London, sold his business, moved to Australia and bought a boat in 2007. He told Ben Fogle on tonight's New Lives In The Wild on Channel 5 how he doesn't push himself too hard.
- New water rule takes effecton June 22, 2020 at 5:05 am
New limits on the reach of the Clean Water Act take effect in 49 states today after a federal judge in Colorado blocked implementation there. — The Trump administration has advanced a piece of a ...
- Why Do Whales Jump Out Of The Water?on June 21, 2020 at 11:06 am
The image of whales jumping out of the water is iconic and is often used in many forms of media; the 1990s movie Free Willy is one of the most well-known examples.
- Colorado Couple Accused Of Killing Son By Forcing Him To Drink Too Much Wateron June 19, 2020 at 10:55 am
A Colorado couple has been accused of killing their 11-year-old son by forcing him to drink too much water, then leaving him alone to die in his bed.
- “We Tried Band-Aiding the Problem”: Black Lives Matter Activists Split on How Radical Change Should Beon June 18, 2020 at 2:00 pm
Reform? Defund? Abolish? Nationwide protests have demonstrated unity against racial injustice, but people taking to the streets aren’t of one mind when it comes to fixing policing in America. “We need ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Cummins To Form JV With NPROXX For Hydrogen Storage Tanks - Quick Factson June 23, 2020 at 5:45 am
(RTTNews) - Power solutions company Cummins Inc. (CMI) announced Tuesday an agreement to form a joint venture with NPROXX, a leader in hydrogen ...
- Plug Power Inc. Completes Acquisitions of United Hydrogen and Giner ELX, continuing to execute on its five-year planon June 23, 2020 at 5:30 am
Plug Power Inc. (NASDAQ: PLUG), a leading provider of hydrogen engines and fueling solutions enabling e-mobility, has completed the acquisitions of United Hydrogen Group Inc. and GinerELX These ...
- Cummins to Form Joint Venture With NPROXX for Hydrogen Storageon June 23, 2020 at 5:16 am
The addition of hydrogen storage to our existing capabilities in hydrogen production and fuel cells enables us to accelerate the viability and adoption of these technologies in commercial markets.” ...
- Monolayered Platinum Nanoparticles as Efficient Electrocatalysts for the Mass Production of Electrolyzed Hydrogen Wateron June 23, 2020 at 2:14 am
High-performance/low-cost platinum (Pt)-based electrocatalysts have been established by top-coating both sides of a titanium plate with Pt nanoparticles. The average diameter of t ...
- Plug Power Stock Will Soar on Increasing Use of Hydrogen Fuel Cellson June 22, 2020 at 1:16 pm
Plug Power has signed big deals with Amazon and Walmart, and the growing profile of hydrogen fuel cells is more good news for PLUG stock.More From InvestorPlace Why Everyone Is Investing in 5G All ...