A research team led by Shinshu University’s Tsuyoshi Takata, Takashi Hisatomi and Kazunari Domen succeeded in developing a photocatalyst that can split water into hydrogen and oxygen at a quantum efficiency close to 100%.
The team consisted of their colleagues from Yamaguchi University, The University of Tokyo and National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST).
The team produced an ideal photocatalyst structure composed of semiconductor particles and cocatalysts. H2 and O2 evolution cocatalysts were selectively photodeposited on different facets of crystalline SrTiO3(Al-doped) particles due to anisotropic charge transport. This photocatalyst structure effectively prevented charge recombination losses, reaching the upper limit of quantum efficiency.
This study refined the design and operating principle for advancing water splitting methods with a high quantum efficiency. The knowledge obtained in this study will propel the field of photocatalytic water splitting further to enable the scalable solar hydrogen production.
(Images:Structure and function of the developed photocatalyst for efficient water splitting.)
This study was reviewed in News & Views and selected as a Hot Topic with the same issue and journal.
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Appomattox Volunteer Fire Department details overnight swift water rescueson November 12, 2020 at 1:26 pm
Crews from the Appomattox Volunteer Fire Department and Concord Volunteer Fire Department responded to a number of swift water rescues through the night ... to help out, so we split our crews that we ...
- Dust storms on Mars propel water's escape to spaceon November 12, 2020 at 12:32 pm
Mars was enveloped by dust storms (seen here in a Mars Express image) that helped water escape the planet. Two years ago, Mars went undercover. Martian dust storms are common, but every decade or so, ...
- Cash-strapped municipalities rack up R15bn water billon November 12, 2020 at 11:53 am
Human Settlements, Water and Sanitation Minister Lindiwe Sisulu has revealed that water boards were owed a whopping R15 billion by cash-strapped municipalities.
- Martian dust storms parch the planet by driving water into spaceon November 12, 2020 at 11:10 am
One known escape process comes from the Sun’s ultraviolet (UV) light, which can split small amounts of water near the surface of Mars, sending hydrogen and oxygen—both lighter than the planet’s mostly ...
- Chemical reactions high in Mars’ atmosphere rip apart water moleculeson November 12, 2020 at 11:06 am
Mars is so dry because its water constant escapes into space. A new study suggests this process occurs in the ionosphere and faster than thought.
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Cummins Expands in Europe, Focuses on Hydrogen-Powered Trainson November 12, 2020 at 3:12 pm
Columbus-based Cummins Inc. (NYSE: CMI) is expanding its global footprint as it also expands its development of hydrogen fuel cell systems for the rail industry. The company announced plans to open a ...
- Daily on Energy: Trump DOE makes late push on hydrogen and solar to secure clean energy legacyon November 12, 2020 at 1:49 pm
Subscribe today to the Washington Examiner magazine and get Washington Briefing: politics and policy stories that will keep you up to date with what's going on in Washington. SUBSCRIBE NOW: Just $1.00 ...
- Exclusive: Thyssenkrupp could change tack and keep hydrogen champion Uhde - sourceson November 12, 2020 at 1:40 pm
Embattled conglomerate Thyssenkrupp is reviewing ways to keep its electrolysis unit Uhde as demand for large-scale production of hydrogen is expected to increase, three people familiar with the matter ...
- Hexagon Purus Signs Agreement to Deliver Hydrogen Distribution Systemson November 12, 2020 at 11:42 am
Hexagon Purus has signed a multi-year master frame agreement with Everfuel to deliver multiple units of its newly designed 45-foot, hydrogen distribution ...
- Xcel Energy, Idaho National Lab form private-public partnership to tap nuclear energy for hydrogen productionon November 12, 2020 at 7:09 am
A new partnership between Xcel Energy and Idaho National Laboratory, together with more than $10 million in federal funding, will investigate how to use nuclear energy to make hydrogen used at nuclear ...