via Washington University in St. Louis
‘Surfing attack’ hacks Siri, Google with ultrasonic waves
Ultrasonic waves don’t make a sound, but they can still activate Siri on your cellphone and have it make calls, take images or read the contents of a text to a stranger. All without the phone owner’s knowledge.
Attacks on cell phones aren’t new, and researchers have previously shown that ultrasonic waves can be used to deliver a single command through the air.
However, new research from Washington University in St. Louis expands the scope of vulnerability that ultrasonic waves pose to cellphone security. These waves, the researchers found, can propagate through many solid surfaces to activate voice recognition systems and — with the addition of some cheap hardware — the person initiating the attack can also hear the phone’s response.
The results were presented Feb. 24 at the Network and Distributed System Security Symposium in San Diego.
“We want to raise awareness of such a threat,” said Ning Zhang, assistant professor of computer science and engineering at the McKelvey School of Engineering. “I want everybody in the public to know this.”
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Home Security Mobile Apps: Why You Should Get Oneon November 21, 2020 at 3:49 am
Before the 90s, it was rare to find security systems for our homes. But growing rates of insecurity in our neighborhoods have fueled the need for ...
- Mobile Device Security Market Analysis - Global Industry Size, Share, Trends and Forecast 2020 - 2027on November 20, 2020 at 11:32 pm
Mobile Security Market is expected to garner US$ 42.18 Billion by 2024, registering a CAGR of 48.09 % during the ...
- Security Camera Black Friday Deals 2020: Best Early Indoor & Outdoor Wireless Security Camera Sales Monitored by Deal Tomatoon November 20, 2020 at 10:30 pm
The best early home security camera system deals for Black Friday 2020, including Nest, Ring, Arlo & more discounts ...
- Wireless LAN Security Market Size, Expected CAGR and Consumer Analysis across the Region and Globe, Opportunities and Growth till 2023on November 19, 2020 at 9:55 am
The Wireless LAN Security Market is estimated to record a significant growth throughout the forecast period. The ICT ...
- 16 Crucial Things Companies Often Forget When Building Mobile Appson November 19, 2020 at 5:10 am
If you’re looking to establish a mobile app for your business, it’s important to remember that building an app isn’t as simple as downsizing your website for a smaller screen.
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Man dies in shark attack in Western Australiaon November 21, 2020 at 2:35 pm
The most recent previous attack in Western Australia occurred on Oct. 9 ,when a surfer was taken by a shark at Esperance on the state's south coast. Companions saw the man, Andrew Sharpe, dragged from ...
- Teenager survives shark attack which saw the fish bite through his leg while surfing in Floridaon November 8, 2020 at 6:00 pm
Jordan Hooper, 17, had been surfing near Ormond Beach, Florida when he fell off his surfboard and kicked something in the water. The water's turned red ...
- ‘Its teeth went straight through my leg’: Teen surfer survives shark attack in Floridaon November 8, 2020 at 10:00 am
The teenager is the 10th shark bite victim of the year in Volusia County, Florida, which is unofficially the shark attack capital of the world.
- Shark Bites Teenager in 10th Attack Off Coast of Florida County This Yearon November 3, 2020 at 8:59 am
A shark bit a teenager surfing off the coast of Florida on Saturday, in the 10th known attack in the area this year. The unnamed 17-year-old was surfing off the coast of Ormond Beach, a popular ...
- The Awkward Truth About How Women Are Treated in the Surfon November 2, 2020 at 10:44 pm
Her wrist was broken in the attack. Then again, Steph might have been thinking about Jodie Cooper. Jodie, a pro surfing legend of the 1980s and ’90s, was attacked by a man in the surf at Lennox ...