The University of Rochester research lab that recently used lasers to create unsinkable metallic structures has now demonstrated how the same technology could be used to create highly efficient solar power generators.
In a paper in Light: Science & Applications, the lab of Chunlei Guo, professor of optics also affiliated with the Department of Physics and Astronomy and the Material Sciences Program, describes using powerful femto-second laser pulses to etch metal surfaces with nanoscale structures that selectively absorb light only at the solar wavelengths, but not elsewhere.
A regular metal surface is shiny and highly reflective. Years ago, the Guo lab developed a black metal technology that turned shiny metals pitch black. “But to make a perfect solar absorber,” Guo says, “We need more than a black metal and the result is this selective absorber.”
This surface not only enhances the energy absorption from sunlight, but also reduces heat dissipation at other wavelengths, in effect, “making a perfect metallic solar absorber for the first time,” Guo says. “We also demonstrate solar energy harnessing with a thermal electric generator device.”
“This will be useful for any thermal solar energy absorber or harvesting device,” particularly in places with abundant sunlight, he adds.
The work was funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the Army Research Office, and the National Science Foundation.
The researchers experimented with aluminum, copper, steel, and tungsten, and found that tungsten, commonly used as a thermal solar absorber, had the highest solar absorption efficiency when treated with the new nanoscale structures. This improved the efficiency of thermal electrical generation by 130 percent compared to untreated tungsten.
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Solar power generators
- Saving lives with solar power in Democratic Republic of Congoon February 21, 2020 at 3:45 pm
Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) teams have been coping with this logistical challenge for decades, usually relying on diesel generators. But in DRC´s South Kivu province, MSF ...
- LI solar group expands reach statewideon February 21, 2020 at 9:38 am
Long Island’s chief solar-industry group is combining forces with a ... Battery storage units could displace the need for residential gas-fired generators during outages, and help customers save money ...
- Tesla partners with solar firm and Atlassian founder to quickly deploy energy systems to help bushfire communitieson February 21, 2020 at 2:39 am
Flooding and storms then added to the damage. Hundreds of properties are running diesel generators and face lengthy delays before normal services resume. Now, we are pulling together to rebuild. They ...
- Global Photovoltaic Solar Panel Market Detail, Breakdown Data by Manufacturers, Key Regions, Types, Application, History and Forecast 2020-2026on February 20, 2020 at 10:23 pm
A portable generator is a gas or diesel-powered device which provides temporary electrical power. The engine turns a small turbine, which in turn creates usable electricity up to a certain level of ...
- Why Coal Country May Be Going Solaron February 20, 2020 at 9:13 pm
More than 50% of electricity generated in West Virginia came from coal in 2018. S.B. 583 creates a utility solar program. Under the bill, the state’s two power generators, American Electric Power and ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Solar power generators
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Solar energy absorber
- Thin film solar cells with 19% efficiency by thermal evaporation of CdSe and CdTeon February 23, 2020 at 12:18 pm
CdTe-based solar cells exhibiting 19% power conversion efficiency were produced using widely available thermal evaporation deposition of the absorber layers on SnO 2-coated glass with or without a ...
- Solar paneled desalination device could supply clean water to coastal areason February 11, 2020 at 5:45 am
The system’s efficiency is due to the multiple stages of desalination. At each stage, the heat released by the previous stage is harnessed to create energy. The system is made of inexpensive and ...
- Laser-etched nanostructures offer control of light absorptionon February 11, 2020 at 1:38 am
"This surface not only enhances the energy absorption from sunlight, but also reduces heat dissipation at other wavelengths, in effect making a perfect metallic solar absorber for the first time,” ...
- Recycling heat for a ‘385% efficient’ solar desalinatoron February 10, 2020 at 5:23 am
Key to that is the separation of the solar absorber and wicking material ... solar-still-based desalination has been low efficiency due to the loss of significant energy in condensation,” said Ravi ...
- Lasers etch a 'perfect' solar energy absorberon February 4, 2020 at 10:30 am
"But to make a perfect solar absorber," Guo says, "We need more than a black metal and the result is this selective absorber." This surface not only enhances the energy absorption from sunlight ...