Since the Industrial Revolution, the environmental impacts of energy have posed a concern. Recently, this has driven researchers to search for viable options for clean and renewable energy sources.
Due to its affordability and environmental friendliness, hydrogen is a feasible alternative to fossil fuels for energy applications. However, due to its low density, hydrogen is difficult to transport efficiently, and many on-board hydrogen generation methods are slow and energy intensive.
Researchers from the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing and Tsinghua University, Beijing investigate real-time, on-demand hydrogen generation for use in fuel cells, which are a quiet and clean form of energy. They describe their results in the Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy, from AIP Publishing.
The researchers used an alloy — a combination of metals — of gallium, indium, tin and bismuth to generate hydrogen. When the alloy meets an aluminum plate immersed in water, hydrogen is produced. This hydrogen is connected to a proton exchange membrane fuel cell, a type of fuel cell where chemical energy is converted into electrical energy.
“Compared with traditional power generation methods, PEMFC inherits a higher conversion efficiency,” said author Jing Liu, a professor at the Chinese Academy of Sciences and Tsinghua University. “It could start rapidly and run quietly. Moreover, a key benefit to this process is that the only product it generates is water, making it environmentally friendly.”
They found the addition of bismuth to the alloy has a large effect on hydrogen generation. Compared to an alloy of gallium, indium and tin, the alloy including bismuth leads to a more stable and durable hydrogen generation reaction. However, it is important to be able to recycle the alloy in order to further reduce cost and environmental impact.
“There are various problems in existing methods for post-reaction mixture separation,” Liu said. “An acid or alkaline solution can dissolve aluminum hydroxide but also causes corrosion and pollution problems.”
Other byproduct removal methods are difficult and inefficient, and the problem of heat dissipation in the hydrogen reaction process also needs to be optimized. Once these difficulties are resolved, this technology can be used for applications from transportation to portable devices.
“The merit of this method is that it could realize real-time and on-demand hydrogen production,” said Liu. “It may offer a possibility for a green and sustainable energy era.”
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
On-demand hydrogen production
- SPECIAL REPORT | Can renewables make air travel carbon-free by 2050?on March 20, 2020 at 4:35 pm
The plan involves cutting 36.3% of emissions through carbon offsetting, 33% from more fuel-efficient planes, 4.4% from “improved operations” such as less circling, 6% from “the effect of carbon price ...
- Cheers! One for the Coronavirus, Kerala excise dept breaks the chain with 4,650 litres of seized spiriton March 19, 2020 at 5:02 am
“We are allowed to sell the seized spirit to government institutions on demand at a price of Rs 30 ... from the excise department for sanitiser production, the latter has not been able to ...
- UAV Turbines, Inc. Demonstrates its Microturbine Engine Operating with Environmentally Friendly Natural Gason March 18, 2020 at 5:20 pm
UAV Turbines today announced that its Monarch 5 turboshaft engine can now run on natural gas, signifying an unmatched level of fuel flexibility.
- Arval UK and BNP Paribas join UK Hydrogen Taskforceon March 10, 2020 at 9:00 am
Commitment by government of £1bn over the next Spending Review Period to hydrogen production, storage and distribution projects. Development of financial support for the production of hydrogen ...
- Colorado oil producers hit hard by Saudi, Russian production war and coronavirus uncertaintyon March 10, 2020 at 1:16 am
Oil prices plunged after Russia rejected Saudi Arabia’s plan for steeper cuts in production ... “Now, all eyes are on demand,” Johnson said. How oil and gas operators fare in the meantime ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
On-demand hydrogen production
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Real-time hydrogen production
- Hydrogen Market to Reach US$ 260 Bn by 2029 End; Growing Preference for Renewable Energy Sources Further Propels Demand, Says a PMR Studyon March 19, 2020 at 6:49 am
Manufacturers are putting efforts and using new technologies to bring hydrogen energy in the mainstream as an energy resource. Regulations associated with climate change are fueling the growth of the ...
- Asia Pacific Hydrogen Sensor Market: Hitting New Heights Between the Forecast Period 2020 -2025on March 17, 2020 at 6:11 am
The leading manufacturers of Hydrogen Sensor are currently implementing technologically advanced production processes to increase production efficacy and optimize product offerings. The current growth ...
- QUT focus on future of green hydrogen exportson March 12, 2020 at 9:48 pm
QUT researchers will play a key part in developing the green hydrogen export industry with projects to develop better systems ... Although underresourced & primarily volunteer-based, we endeavour to ...
- POLITICO Pro Fair Play: Italy’s SME plans — German hydrogen — UK platform ruleson March 12, 2020 at 9:17 am
Germany has a plan to become the world's number one in clean hydrogen. — New competition rules for platforms should be proposed ... Did you know you can trial the full Competition and Industrial Pro ...
- HTC Extraction Systems Appoints Todd Beasley and Addresses the Canadian House of Commons, Standing Committee on International Tradeon March 12, 2020 at 8:53 am
He is well known and recognized in the industry for his extraction and purification work with refineries, natural gas plants, power plants and hydrogen production all over North America ...