The development of next generation solar power technology that has potential to be used as a flexible ‘skin’ over hard surfaces has moved a step closer, thanks to a significant breakthrough at The University of Queensland.
UQ researchers set a world record for the conversion of solar energy to electricity via the use of tiny nanoparticles called ‘quantum dots’, which pass electrons between one another and generate electrical current when exposed to solar energy in a solar cell device.
The development represents a significant step towards making the technology commercially-viable and supporting global renewable energy targets.
Professor Lianzhou Wang, who led the breakthrough, said conventional solar technologies used rigid, expensive materials.
“The new class of quantum dots the University has developed are flexible and printable,” he said.
“This opens up a huge range of potential applications, including the possibility to use it as a transparent skin to power cars, planes, homes and wearable technology.
“Eventually it could play a major part in meeting the United Nations’ goal to increase the share of renewable energy in the global energy mix.”
Professor Wang’s team set the world record for quantum dot solar cell efficiency by developing a unique surface engineering strategy.
Overcoming previous challenges around the fact that the surface of quantum dots tend to be rough and unstable – making them less efficient at converting solar into electrical current.
“This new generation of quantum dots is compatible with more affordable and large-scale printable technologies,” Professor Wang said.
“The near 25 per cent improvement in efficiency we have achieved over the previous world record is important.
“It is effectively the difference between quantum dot solar cell technology being an exciting ‘prospect’ and being commercially viable.”
UQ Vice-Chancellor and President Professor Peter Høj AC extended his congratulations to the UQ team.
“The world needs to rapidly reduce carbon emissions and this requires us to invest much more in research to improve existing energy-generation technologies and develop entirely new ones,” Professor Høj said.
Discover more about the mysterious ‘quantum dots’ and how UQ researchers are harnessing them to create solar cells here.
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Quantum dot solar cell
- Global Quantum Dots Market Report 16th Edition - Featuring Avantama, Bio Square & Dotz Nano Among Others - ResearchAndMarkets.comon June 22, 2020 at 8:09 am
DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The "The Quantum Dots Report 2020 (16th Edition)" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. Quantum Dots (QDs) are used in a range of optoelectronic devices, ...
- Low-cost quantum dot windows could power a solar futureon June 20, 2020 at 11:12 pm
Large-area quantum dot luminescent sunlight collector made by depositing a quantum dot/polymer composite onto commercial window glass. (Photo: Los Alamos National Laboratory) Solar cells are normally ...
- Low-cost quantum dot windows could power a solar futureon June 20, 2020 at 11:11 pm
Large-area quantum dot luminescent sunlight collector made by depositing a quantum dot/polymer composite onto commercial window glass. (Photo: Los Alamos National Laboratory) Solar cells are ...
- Quantum Materials Acquires Bayer Technology Services Quantum Dot Manufacturing, Quantum Dot Solar Cell Patentson June 16, 2020 at 5:00 pm
The solar-related patents describe the fundamental design of quantum dot solar cells and processes for optimizing quantum dots for solar and other printed electronics applications. The solar ...
- Covid-19 Outbreak Impact on Quantum Dots Market 2020: Size, Share, Trends, Demand, Historical Analysis, Opportunities and Strong Growth in Future 2025on June 11, 2020 at 9:54 am
global quantum dots market is estimated to value USD 8,151.07 million thriving at a CAGR of 26.45% by the end of 2025 By Product (Displays, Solar Cells, Photodetectors, Lasers, LED, Transistors, and ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Quantum dot solar cell
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Conversion of solar energy to electricity
- SoCalGas, PG&E and Opus 12 demonstrate conversion of CO2 into RNGon June 23, 2020 at 3:01 pm
a clean-energy startup with its origins at Stanford University and the prestigious Cyclotron Road program at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, has created a new proprietary Polymer Electrolyte Membrane ...
- Sungrow Releases Latest Product Portfolio Covering a Wide Range of PV and Energy Storage Applicationson June 17, 2020 at 8:23 pm
Sungrow, the global leading inverter solution supplier for renewables, rolled out flagship PV and energy storage product solutions at the ongoing Smart Energy Virtual Show, showing latest advanced ...
- Solar Power Satellite Hardware That Beams Energy to Earth Tested in Orbiton June 16, 2020 at 1:24 pm
U.S. Naval Research Laboratory engineers launched PRAM, the Photovoltaic Radio-frequency Antenna Module, aboard an Air Force X-37B Orbital Test Vehicle on May 17 as part of a comprehensive ...
- Taking a Page from Tesla's Notebook, Sunrun Builds a "Virtual" Solar Power Plant in Californiaon June 16, 2020 at 9:01 am
Elon Musk's Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) made a big splash on the world stage with his plan to link 50,000 solar-panel-equipped homes in South Australia to create a 250-megawatt "virtual power plant" that ...
- Alexandria program boosts solar power conversion for homes, businesseson June 15, 2020 at 8:50 am
The SolarizeAlexandria program, beginning Monday and running through August, makes it easier for residents of Alexandria, Virginia, to install solar power systems on houses and businesses.