The development of next generation solar power technology that has potential to be used as a flexible ‘skin’ over hard surfaces has moved a step closer, thanks to a significant breakthrough at The University of Queensland.
UQ researchers set a world record for the conversion of solar energy to electricity via the use of tiny nanoparticles called ‘quantum dots’, which pass electrons between one another and generate electrical current when exposed to solar energy in a solar cell device.
The development represents a significant step towards making the technology commercially-viable and supporting global renewable energy targets.
Professor Lianzhou Wang, who led the breakthrough, said conventional solar technologies used rigid, expensive materials.
“The new class of quantum dots the University has developed are flexible and printable,” he said.
“This opens up a huge range of potential applications, including the possibility to use it as a transparent skin to power cars, planes, homes and wearable technology.
“Eventually it could play a major part in meeting the United Nations’ goal to increase the share of renewable energy in the global energy mix.”
Professor Wang’s team set the world record for quantum dot solar cell efficiency by developing a unique surface engineering strategy.
Overcoming previous challenges around the fact that the surface of quantum dots tend to be rough and unstable – making them less efficient at converting solar into electrical current.
“This new generation of quantum dots is compatible with more affordable and large-scale printable technologies,” Professor Wang said.
“The near 25 per cent improvement in efficiency we have achieved over the previous world record is important.
“It is effectively the difference between quantum dot solar cell technology being an exciting ‘prospect’ and being commercially viable.”
UQ Vice-Chancellor and President Professor Peter Høj AC extended his congratulations to the UQ team.
“The world needs to rapidly reduce carbon emissions and this requires us to invest much more in research to improve existing energy-generation technologies and develop entirely new ones,” Professor Høj said.
Discover more about the mysterious ‘quantum dots’ and how UQ researchers are harnessing them to create solar cells here.
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Quantum dot solar cell
- Synergistic enhancement in the microelectronic properties of poly-(dioctylfluorene) based Schottky devices by CdSe quantum dotson March 16, 2020 at 6:33 pm
Junction between different materials has a vital role in electronic and optoelectronic devices and is, therefore, one of the significant parts that govern the performance of a device. Well-controlled ...
- Controllable movement of single-photon source in multifunctional magneto-photonic structureson March 16, 2020 at 5:48 pm
Quantum dot (QD) coupling in nanophotonics has been widely studied for various potential applications in quantum technologies. Micro-machining has also attracted substantial research interest due to ...
- Hybrid tandem quantum dot solar cell with 12.8% efficiencyon March 13, 2020 at 12:28 am
Researchers at South Korea’s Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology (UNIST) have used organic p‐type hole transport materials to increase the efficiency of colloidal quantum dot solar ...
- New study presents efficient, solution-processed, hybrid tandem solar cellson March 11, 2020 at 9:04 pm
Colloidal quantum dot (CQD) solar cells have attracted considerable attention due to the advantages of being flexible and lightweight. Besides, they are much easier to manufacture, compared with that ...
- High-efficiency quantum dot tech sets record for solar-to-electrical energy conversionon February 19, 2020 at 4:00 pm
The group of scientists were able to achieve 16.6% efficiency, a significant 25% step up from the previous record of 13.4% efficiency in the quantum dot solar cell category, as per UQ on their ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Quantum dot solar cell
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Conversion of solar energy to electricity
- Simulation Tool Detects Efficiencies of Solar Power Plantson March 21, 2020 at 6:03 pm
Solar power plants plays a particularly significant role here and has become ... The advantage of the high temperatures is that the same volume of salt can absorb more energy, while the efficiency of ...
- ARENA announced $3 million in funding to RayGen for world first solar hydro power plant in Victoriaon March 19, 2020 at 2:55 am
... cost solar collection heliostats and high-efficiency solar conversion via PV cells, creating the ability to co-generate electricity and heat. The heat by-product is captured and used to boost the ...
- DUNMORE Awarded U.S. Department of Energy American-Made Solar Prize for Transparent Barrier Films for the Photovoltaic Marketon March 18, 2020 at 2:15 am
March 18, 2020 /PRNewswire-PRWeb/ -- Dunmore today announced it has been selected by the U.S. Department of Energy to receive a ... to the growth of the domestic solar market." About DUNMORE Dunmore ...
- Photovoltaic Market - Empowering Future Innovation in Solar Energy Industry by 2026on March 16, 2020 at 10:39 pm
PV technology is used in renewable energy systems range from small scale systems for lighting and pumping to large scale systems for whole buildings and utility scale photovoltaic farms Photovoltaic ...
- Breakthrough Solar System Uses Recycled Aluminum to Store Energy—Without Batterieson March 16, 2020 at 5:11 pm
Paradoxically, the more the world embraces clean energy like solar and wind, the more it must embrace something markedly ... “When we started the project, we had a conversion unit that converts high ...