“The koala, red goshawk, matted flax-lily and purple clover are more efficient umbrella species, yet none of these appear on the existing federal government priority species list.”
The University of Queensland
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- What Others Say: On controlled fireson March 21, 2020 at 12:15 am
A coalition of state, federal and non-governmental land-management organizations under the umbrella of the South Carolina Prescribed Fire Council requested ... gopher tortoises and red-cockaded ...
- These Graphics Help Explain Why Social Distancing Is Criticalon March 19, 2020 at 9:07 am
In the past week, mass gatherings have ceased nationwide. Restaurants, theaters and museums have shuttered, vacating the streets now suddenly silent. Residents of the Bay Area have been put under ...
- A PhD student proved one of Darwin's theories of evolution 140 years after his deathon March 19, 2020 at 6:59 am
Considering the relationship between the number of species and subspecies in a genus -- and how subspecies are earlier versions of species -- could lead scientists to think differently, Cambridge PhD ...
- How to help koalas recover after Australia’s fires? Q&A with Rebecca Montague-Drakeon March 19, 2020 at 4:16 am
Protecting populations at different latitudes and altitudes will again help us to secure the future of the koala in this rapidly changing world. The koala is also an ‘umbrella species’ – by protecting ...
- Dear Metro: "I'm scared about Covid-19. How do I handle my anxiety?"on March 18, 2020 at 11:39 am
This week, we ask an expert ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Species extinction crisis
- Lawsuit to protect bird nicknamed feathered mouseon March 21, 2020 at 6:41 am
Environmentalists have sued the Trump administration for failing to follow through on a proposal made two years ago to protect a small, elusive marsh bird nicknamed the “feathered mouse.” “The eastern ...
- Woodland Trust makes forest for toads as they warn species is under threaton March 21, 2020 at 4:50 am
A forest especially for toads has been created by the Woodland Trust as they warn the species is under threat. Half of all ponds in the UK were lost over the 20th century, leaving amphibians at risk ...
- 25 Earth Day Facts—Plus, How to Help the Planet Even While 'Social Distancing'on March 20, 2020 at 11:11 am
In light of the coronavirus crisis limiting large, in-person gatherings ... Scientists estimate that dozens of plants and animal species go extinct each day due to human activity. 16. Rising global ...
- Reanalysis of global amphibian crisis study finds important flawson March 20, 2020 at 5:07 am
Though biodiversity is in crisis globally, amphibians in particular face a variety of threats ... concluded that Bd caused the decline of at least 501 amphibian species, of which 90 have gone extinct.
- The Dictionary Hasn’t Caught Up With the Climate Crisison March 19, 2020 at 3:02 am
Independent journalism that speaks truth to power is more important than ever. So is your support. Do your part to support The Nation’s hard-hitting journalism with a donation of just $1 or more today ...