Scientists from The Australian National University (ANU) have invented a new jelly material that mimics biological matter such as skin, ligaments and bone, and which is very strong, self-healing and able to change shape.
The team say the hydrogel could enable a new class of medical implants or artificial muscles for next-generation robots that could one day swim.
Hydrogels are gels with a high-water content and used in a range of products, including contact lenses.
Lead senior researcher Associate Professor Luke Connal from the ANU Research School of Chemistry said the new hydrogel’s dynamic chemical bonds gave it features unlike any other materials previously reported.
“With the special chemistry we’ve engineered in the hydrogel, it can repair itself after it has been broken like human skin can,” he said.
“Hydrogels are usually weak, but our material is so strong it could easily lift very heavy objects and can change its shape like human muscles do. This makes our hydrogel suitable for artificial muscles in what we call soft robotics.
“Our hydrogel’s ability to self-heal, as well as its flexibility and strength, make it an ideal material for wearable technology and various other biomedical devices.”
Dr Zhen Jiang, a co-researcher and Postdoctoral Fellow, said a form of temperature control could change the shape of the hydrogel, allowing it to perform as an artificial muscle.
“In a lot of science fiction movies, we see the most challenging jobs being done by artificial humanoid robots. Our research has made a significant step towards making this possible,” he said.
Dr Jiang had the inspiration for the new hydrogel from one of his PhD projects.
“We anticipate that researchers working on the next-generation of soft robots will be interested and excited about our new way of making hydrogels,” he said.
The team can make the hydrogel with simple and scalable chemistry. They will develop a 3D printable ink based on the hydrogel.
The team’s study is published in Advanced Materials.
Learn more: Jelly invention can heal itself like human skin
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Removing the shield: Matt Forde steps outside for the first time in ten weekson June 18, 2020 at 11:07 pm
You can change your mind and change your consent choices at any time by returning to this site. “My legs were like jelly, I was like Bambi,” says comedian Matt Forde, of his first experience leaving ...
- 6 home remedies for itchy skinon June 15, 2020 at 2:15 pm
If your skin is of the sensitive type, the best remedy is petroleum jelly. It does not contain ... Allergy to certain clothing made of synthetic material or a food allergy may sometimes set ...
- Global Jelly Candies (Gummies) Market 2020 Key Players, Industry Overview, Supply Chain and Analysis to 2026on June 12, 2020 at 12:27 am
Market report contains all study material about Market Overview, Growth, Demand and Forecast and Manufacturers such as Nestle, Mars, Cloetta, Ferrero, Hari ...
- Dior Men's Head Footwear Designer Thibo Premieres Fall 2020 Jelly Sandalon June 10, 2020 at 11:01 am
As the man largely responsible for the exalted Dior x Air Jordan 1, Dior Men’s Senior Footwear Designer Thibo Denis knows a thing or two about making a statement — something he’s done once again by ...
- During the Pandemic, Vermont's Mutual Aid Groups Lend a Handon June 10, 2020 at 7:03 am
By the third week of each month, Rebecca Campbell's bank account is usually overdrawn. She lives in a subsidized apartment next to Momo's Market ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- $11+ Billion Worldwide Wound Dressings Industry to 2025 - Featuring Coloplast, 3M & Paul Hartmann Among Otherson June 23, 2020 at 1:52 pm
DUBLIN, June 23, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- The "Wound Dressings Market by Type (Traditional, Advanced (Alginate, Collagen, Hydrogel, Foam, Hydrocolloid, Film)), Wound Type (Traumatic, Surgical, Diabetic ...
- Hydrogel Market to Garner $31.4 Billion, Globally, by 2027 at 6.7% CAGR, Says Allied Market Researchon June 23, 2020 at 6:41 am
Wide range of applications and advantages over conventional products and increase in demand from the personal care & hygiene sector drive the ...
- Assessment of COVID-19's Effect on Hydrogel Dressing Market in Europe 2020-2024 | Strong Prevalence of Pressure Ulcers to Augment Growth | Technavioon June 22, 2020 at 2:30 pm
Technavio has announced its latest market research report titled Hydrogel Dressing Market in Europe 2020-2024 (Graphic: Business Wire) LONDON-- ( BUSINESS WIRE )--Technavio has been monitoring the ...
- Soft and ion-conducting hydrogel artificial tongue for astringency perceptionon June 18, 2020 at 7:04 am
Artificial tongues have received increased attention due to their ability to detect the five basic tastes, but until now scientists have been unable to fully enable human tongue-like biomimicry for ...
- BAUSCH + LOMB ULTRA® Silicone Hydrogel Contact Lenses Receive Approval In Chinaon June 17, 2020 at 1:15 pm
Bausch + Lomb, a leading global eye health business of Bausch Health Companies Inc. (NYSE/TSX: BHC) ("Bausch Health"), today announced ...