Rutgers-led team pioneers automated way to make unique materials with polymers
A Rutgers-led team of engineers has developed an automated way to produce polymers, making it much easier to create advanced materials aimed at improving human health.
The innovation is a critical step in pushing the limits for researchers who want to explore large libraries of polymers, including plastics and fibers, for chemical and biological applications such as drugs and regenerative medicine through tissue engineering.
While a human researcher may be able to make a few polymers a day, the new automated system – featuring custom software and a liquid-handling robot – can create up to 384 different polymers at once, a huge increase over current methods.
Synthetic polymers are widely used in advanced materials with special properties, and their continued development is crucial to new technologies, according to a study in the journal Advanced Intelligent Systems. Such technologies include diagnostics, medical devices, electronics, sensors, robots and lighting.
“Typically, researchers synthesize polymers in highly controlled environments, limiting the development of large libraries of complex materials,” said senior author Adam J. Gormley, an assistant professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering in the School of Engineering at Rutgers University–New Brunswick. “By automating polymer synthesis and using a robotic platform, it is now possible to rapidly create a multitude of unique materials.”
Robotics has automated many ways to make materials as well as discover and develop drugs. But synthesizing polymers remains challenging because most chemical reactions are extremely sensitive to oxygen and can’t be done without removing it during production. The Gormley lab’s open-air robotics platform carries out polymer synthesis reactions that tolerate oxygen.
The group developed custom software that allows a liquid handling robot to interpret polymer designs made on a computer and carry out every step of the chemical reaction. One benefit: the new automated system makes it easier for non-experts to create polymers.
Go deeper with Bing News on:
New materials development
- Green Marine Sets New Performance Indicator for Ship Recyclingon March 21, 2020 at 9:02 pm
the new Level 1 criteria requires monitoring of current regulations. Level 2 calls for the development of a policy to govern a vessel’s recycling. Level 2 also requires all newly constructed vessels ...
- Stream Open Mike Eagle & Serengeti’s New Cavanaugh EP Quarantine Recordingson March 21, 2020 at 9:41 am
Rappers Open Mike Eagle and Serengeti teamed up under the name Cavanaugh in 2015 for Time & Materials, a concept album about two resident handymen at a mixed-income housing development in Florida. And ...
- Smart Windows Materials Market What Factors Will Drive the Industry in Upcoming Years and How It Is Going To Impact Globallyon March 21, 2020 at 3:40 am
The Smart Windows Materials Market has witnessed continuous growth in the past few years and is projected to grow even further during the forecast period 2020 2025 The assessment provides a 360 view ...
- In Australia, New Developments Are Catering to Buyers Looking to Scale Downon March 20, 2020 at 3:58 am
Downsizing the living areas is not part of this movement—the yard most certainly—but the new luxury apartment must be the right size ... The property will feature recycled materials, including ...
- Real Matters Issues No Material Development Statement and Shares Market Viewson March 18, 2020 at 12:46 pm
TORONTO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Real Matters Inc. (“Real Matters” or the “Company”) (TSX: REAL), issued a statement that the Company is not aware of any undisclosed material development that would cause ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
New materials development
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- 'Unique complexities' for Madison School District means virtual learning coming later amid COVID-19 coronavirus pandemicon March 21, 2020 at 3:35 am
LeMonds said there’s a “high volume of instructional material” that needs to be translated into Spanish and Hmong. He said the large number of elective courses in the city’s four comprehensive high ...
- Materials firms work to fortify supply chains despite coronaviruson March 20, 2020 at 9:33 am
The coronavirus impact and lower oil and feedstock costs could have some unusual effects on resin demand, according to Blue Clover Polymer Solutions, a resin supplier and consulting firm in Princeton, ...
- Global Forecast for Thermosetting Resins and Plastics Materials Market (2020-2025) - ResearchAndMarkets.comon March 20, 2020 at 8:36 am
Manufacturing & Markets Report" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. This report contains timely and accurate market statistics and forecasts on the market for over 140 ...
- Sales of Soil Stabilization Materials to Expand at 6% CAGR Through 2027; China to Reign Supremacy, Says a New Fact.MR Studyon March 20, 2020 at 6:19 am
Governments are focusing on maintaining superior quality of roads to prevent road accidents. Soil stabilization materials that enhance the overall performance and strength of soil are thus witnessing ...
- Edgewater sells composites maker Fiber Materials to Spiriton March 19, 2020 at 8:01 am
Spirit AeroSystems has acquired materials and composites maker Fiber Materials Inc. from private equity firm ... He added that the new combination "will strengthen our ability to scale our unique ...