Wearable sensors that track heart rate or steps are popular fitness products. But in the future, working up a good sweat could provide useful information about a person’s health.
Now, researchers reporting in ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces have developed a headband that measures electrolyte levels in sweat. And unlike many previous sweat sensors, the device can heal itself when cut or scratched during exercise.
Human sweat contains biochemical markers, such as metabolites, electrolytes and heavy metals, that can indicate a person’s health and even help diagnose some diseases. In recent years, scientists have developed sweat sensors in the form of patches, bandages and tattoos, but their performance can be impaired by natural movements such as walking, running, jumping or throwing. Also, if the sensors become scratched or broken, which can easily happen during exercise, they often cannot be repaired. Sung Yeon Hwang, Jeyoung Park, Bong Gill Choi and colleagues at Korea Research Institute of Chemical Technology wanted to develop a wearable sweat sensor that could withstand vigorous exercise and quickly repair itself if damaged.
To make their self-healing sensor, the researchers coated carbon fiber thread electrodes with a citric acid-based polymer. When cut, the threads quickly rejoined through hydrogen bonding of the polymer. They sewed the threads, which could detect potassium and sodium ions, into a headband and added a wireless electronic circuit board that could transfer data to a smart phone. A human volunteer wore the headband while exercising on a stationary bike, and the sensor accurately tracked the electrolyte concentrations in their sweat over 50 minutes of exercise. During cycling, the researchers cut the sensor threads with scissors, and the threads healed and returned to normal operation in only 20 seconds.
Learn more: A self-healing sweat sensor
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Europe Self-Healing Materials Market 2020 is Evolving Rapidly with Economic Growth, Demand, and Forthcoming Opportunitieson March 20, 2020 at 10:10 pm
Acciona AkzoNobel Applied Thin Films Autonomic Materials Arkema Avecom BASF Covestro Critical Materials Devan Chemicals Dupont Evonik Industries Sensor Coating Systems Slips Technologies The ‘Global ...
- Electronic Skin Market revenue to witness over 14% growth till 2026: Global Market Insights, Inc.on March 19, 2020 at 5:52 pm
Selbyville, Delaware, March 19, 2020 -- According to latest report “Electronic Skin Market by Product (Electronic Skin Suit, Electronic Patches), Component (Stretchable.
- Electronic Skin Market revenue to witness over 14% growth till 2026: Global Market Insights, Inc.on March 19, 2020 at 3:30 am
Electronic skin is beneficial for a variety of users due to its wide array of advantages such as self-healing properties, stretching abilities as well as self-powering abilities. Additionally ...
- The best Samsung Galaxy S10 screen protectorson March 16, 2020 at 5:39 pm
Samsung has also run into issues with the security of its fingerprint sensor which was impacted by screen protectors ... and claims it’s made from military-grade materials with self-healing properties ...
- The best Samsung Galaxy S10 screen protectorson March 16, 2020 at 4:27 pm
Samsung has also run into issues with the security of its fingerprint sensor which was impacted ... s made from military-grade materials with self-healing properties. Best of all, it’s cheap.
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- A wearable freestanding electrochemical sensing systemon March 20, 2020 at 12:14 pm
The FESS-enabled smartwatch was used to monitor the sweat metabolite profiles of individuals in sedentary and high-intensity ... fundamentally forcing them to route the transduced signal from the ...
- Electronic skin sensor detects heatstroke dangeron March 18, 2020 at 8:54 pm
"The secret behind this sensor integration onto a nanosheet is that we discovered that Ag/AgIO3 (silver ... The next stages of the team's investigation are to test with longer testing times, ...
- Diabetes Monitor Market Emerging Growth Comprehensive Market Study Innovative Business Growth Outlook Forecasting By 2027on March 17, 2020 at 3:21 am
The global diabetes monitor market is segmented by sample into sweat, blood, urine and others; by product type into point sample test based glucose monitors, continuous glucose monitoring devices, ...
- Watch how a sweat sensor monitors stress levelson March 13, 2020 at 10:01 am
The ability to accurately quantify a person’s stress level advances with the development of a wireless sweat sensor. The device designed at California Institute of Technology precisely detects levels ...
- UA developing technology to measure sweat ‘biomarkers’on March 13, 2020 at 1:00 am
The project falls at the crossroads of multiple academic fields, including engineering, chemistry and medicine, and has two main goals: develop a patch to reliably collect the sweat, and develop a ...