The demonstration of two silicon quantum bits communicating across relatively long distances is a turning point for the technology.
A team at Princeton University has demonstrated that two Quantum Computing components, known as silicon “spin” qubits, can interact even when spaced relatively far apart on a computer chip.
“The ability to transmit messages across this distance on a silicon chip unlocks new capabilities for our quantum hardware,” said Jason Petta.”This should help to improve the communication of qubits on chips as well as from one chip to another”.
There is huge potential for quantum computers to tackle challenges well beyond the capabilities of our current computers. In order to realize this great potential, these computers will require tens of thousands of qubits that can communicate with each other. The difficulty is that current quantum computers contain tens of qubits made from superconducting circuits. Silicon spin qubits have several advantages over this current approach in that they retain their Quantum State longer than competing technologies and can be manufactured at a low cost.
“This is the first demonstration of entangling electron spins in silicon separated by distances much larger than the devices housing those spins,” said Thaddeus Ladd .
The demonstration is an important milestone and utilizes materials heavily used in the semiconductor industry already.
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- $2.1M DARPA grant puts Lehigh Univ. optimization experts at vanguard of quantum computingon March 21, 2020 at 9:06 pm
Lehigh University will soon be on the front lines of the quantum computing revolution. "We want to explore the power of existing quantum computers, and those that are predicted to exist in the future, ...
- Chip-Based Device Opens New Doors for Augmented Reality and Quantum Computingon March 20, 2020 at 7:45 am
Applications from computing to biology The new blue OPA could be useful for trapped ion quantum computers, which require lasers in the visible spectral range for micron-scale optical stimulation.
- Scientists create quantum sensor that covers entire radio frequency spectrumon March 19, 2020 at 2:58 pm
"Quantum mechanics allows us to know the sensor calibration and ultimate performance to a very high degree, and it's identical for every sensor," Meyer said. "This result is an important step in ...
- Quantum computingon March 19, 2020 at 12:28 pm
Quartz’s interactive email for curious minds. Escape the stale news cycle with forgotten histories, surprising facts, and vital stats. Delivered every weekday afternoon Sign me up Sign me up for the ...
- Insights: Quantum Computingon March 19, 2020 at 11:00 am
FORTUNE On-Demand ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Silicon spin qubits
- Qubits that operate at room temperatureon March 17, 2020 at 7:25 am
together with colleagues from Hungary and U.S. found a way to manufacture stable semiconductor qubits using another material, silicon carbide (SiC). This is much simpler and more cost-effective in ...
- ORNL’s Raphael Pooser on DoE’s Quantum Testbed Projecton March 11, 2020 at 10:24 am
So this is actually open source software that’s kind of a product of our work. HPCwire: Before turning to software issues and your project’s deliverables, could you comment on the competing qubit ...
- Chance discovery brings quantum computing using standard microchips a step closeron March 11, 2020 at 9:55 am
The delicate spin states would last for nearly 1 second, and in principle, researchers could put millions of qubits on a single silicon microchip. But this technology lags behind superconducting ...
- MACHINE LEARNING COULD BE CANADA’S EDGE IN THE GLOBAL QUANTUM COMPUTING ARMS RACEon March 10, 2020 at 6:50 am
“It’s about getting the whole ecosystem up and standing and feeding into each other, getting piles of different spin-offs and startups ... and Simmons’ group argues that silicon hosts the best qubits ...
- Scientists succeed in measuring electron spin qubit without demolishing iton March 2, 2020 at 4:34 am
Using such systems, it is possible to conduct calculations with a qubit that is a superimposition of two values ... Communications("Quantum non-demolition readout of an electron spin in silicon"), the ...