Discovering the next generation of batteries with some help from AI
Designing the best molecular building blocks for battery components is like trying to create a recipe for a new kind of cake, when you have billions of potential ingredients. The challenge involves determining which ingredients work best together — or, more simply, produce an edible (or, in the case of batteries, a safe) product. But even with state-of-the-art supercomputers, scientists cannot precisely model the chemical characteristics of every molecule that could prove to be the basis of a next-generation battery material.
Instead, researchers at the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Argonne National Laboratory have turned to the power of machine learning and artificial intelligence to dramatically accelerate the process of battery discovery.
As described in two new papers, Argonne researchers first created a highly accurate database of roughly 133,000 small organic molecules that could form the basis of battery electrolytes. To do so, they used a computationally intensive model called G4MP2. This collection of molecules, however, represented only a small subset of 166 billion larger molecules that scientists wanted to probe for electrolyte candidates.
“If we are going to use a molecule for energy storage applications, we need to know properties like its stability, and we can use this machine learning to predict properties of bigger molecules more accurately.” — Argonne chemist Rajeev Assary
Because using G4MP2 to resolve each of the 166 billion molecules would have required an impossible amount of computing time and power, the research team used a machine learning algorithm to relate the precisely known structures from the smaller data set to much more coarsely modeled structures from the larger data set.
“When it comes to determining how these molecules work, there are big tradeoffs between accuracy and the time it takes to compute a result,” said Ian Foster, Argonne Data Science and Learning division director and author of one of the papers. ?“We believe that machine learning represents a way to get a molecular picture that is nearly as precise at a fraction of the computational cost.”
To provide a basis for the machine learning model, Foster and his colleagues used a less computationally taxing modeling framework based on density functional theory, a quantum mechanical modeling framework used to calculate electronic structure in large systems. Density functional theory provides a good approximation of molecular properties, but is less accurate than G4MP2.
Refining the algorithm to better ascertain information about the broader class of organic molecules involved comparing the atomic positions of the molecules computed with the highly accurate G4MP2 versus those analyzed using only density functional theory. By using G4MP2 as a gold standard, the researchers could train the density functional theory model to incorporate a correction factor, improving its accuracy while keeping computational costs down.
“The machine learning algorithm gives us a way to look at the relationship between the atoms in a large molecule and their neighbors, to see how they bond and interact, and look for similarities between those molecules and others we know quite well,” said Argonne computational scientist Logan Ward, an author of one of the studies. ?“This will help us to make predictions about the energies of these larger molecules or the differences between the low- and high-accuracy calculations.”
“This whole project is designed to give us the biggest picture possible of battery electrolyte candidates,” added Argonne chemist Rajeev Assary, an author of both studies. ?“If we are going to use a molecule for energy storage applications, we need to know properties like its stability, and we can use this machine learning to predict properties of bigger molecules more accurately.”
Learn more: Building a better battery with machine learning
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Next generation battery
The Latest Bing News on:
Next generation battery
- Next-Gen BMW 5-Series, 7-Series Will Get An Electric Variant – Reporton February 22, 2020 at 3:30 am
whereas the top-end trim could be offered with a 120 kWh battery pack, with a total driving range of about 700 km. The range-topping variant could also come with two electric motors, which would ...
- HTC Reveals Next-Gen Proton VR Headsetson February 21, 2020 at 9:22 am
While the renders do look much slimmer than current-gen headsets, comparing them with non-smart glasses ... Quest users often use small battery packs clipped to the back of the headset to change the ...
- Next-generation lithium-ion battery research project launchedon February 18, 2020 at 11:15 pm
A European battery research project aims to develop the next generation of batteries for electric vehicles (EVs). The Coventry University’s Centre for Advanced Low Carbon Propulsion Systems (C-ALPS) ...
- Samsung's next-gen Galaxy Buds+ offer better sound and improved iOS compatibility for $150on February 11, 2020 at 2:47 pm
the Galaxy Buds+ -- the 2nd-generation of Samsung's similarly-named truly wireless earbuds. In short, the Galaxy Buds+ are a proper successor to the original Buds. While their design hasn't changed at ...
- Rumor: BMW i7 based on 7 Series due out in 2022 in different configurationson February 9, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Just a few days ago, we shared with you some news on a future BMW i7 electric limousine which will be based on the next generation 7 ... power outputs and battery packs. We don’t know the ...
- Prominent Media Outlets Embrace Samsara Luggage's Next Generation of Smart Luggageon February 6, 2020 at 1:37 pm
/PRNewswire/ -- Samsara Luggage (OTC: SAML), one of the fastest growing luggage and lifestyles brand in the world, celebrates positive press feedback ...
- Great Wall Motors debuts in India with global premier of Concept Hon February 5, 2020 at 9:55 am
The GWM pavilion on display also showcased a Lithium Ion Battery, Haval Intelligent ... The Vision Concept features face recognition, has next-generation 5G in-car infotainment and services ...
- What’s Nintendo’s game plan for the next generation?on January 31, 2020 at 2:09 pm
What’s Nintendo’s game plan for the next generation, though ... display to a more capable processor to a longer-lasting battery. READ MORE: Nintendo Switch Lite ReviewUp until a certain ...
- The Renewable Energy Industry 2020: It Will Take $70 Trillion to Bring the World to 100% Renewable Energy - ResearchAndMarkets.comon January 31, 2020 at 4:59 am
Solid state batteries represent the next generation of power storage for vehicles ... providing a major opportunity for battery makers and miners of component metals such as lithium, cobalt ...
- Scoot Launches New "Bird Two" in San Franciscoon January 30, 2020 at 6:11 am
SAN FRANCISCO, Jan. 30, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Today Scoot, owned by Bird, launched its new Bird Two, a next-generation e-scooter ... Longest lasting Battery: To help riders get where they need ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Artificial Intelligence Used to Supercharge Battery Development for Electric Vehicleson February 22, 2020 at 4:39 am
Battery performance can make or break the electric vehicle ... “The bigger hope is to help the process of scientific discovery itself,” Ermon said. “We’re asking: Can we design these methods to come ...
- AI breakthrough slashes EV battery testing time by 98pcon February 21, 2020 at 3:02 am
This new AI will be made freely available for any future battery scientists looking to use it, the team said. Ermon said that the biggest hope for the team’s work is to help the process of scientific ...
- Potential lithium reserve find in Karnataka could accelerate India's EV ambitionon February 20, 2020 at 5:47 pm
Lithium, an important constituent of modern-day batteries, has been found in significant amounts in the Mandya district, about 100km from Bengaluru.
- Tesla Charges Ahead In Efforts To Achieve 400 Mile Rangeon February 19, 2020 at 9:36 pm
is developing a new battery pack that would allow some of its electric vehicles to achieve a range of more than 400 miles. Tinkering Under The Hood ...
- Tesla firmware reveals ~110 kWh battery pack expected to shatter 400-mile barrieron February 19, 2020 at 7:39 pm
Tesla is working on a new 110 kWh battery pack configuration that can stretch range well beyond 400 miles, according to a new discovery made in Tesla’s battery management system (BMS) firmware.
- New machine learning method could supercharge battery development for electric vehicleson February 19, 2020 at 12:56 pm
Battery performance can make or break the electric vehicle experience ... "The bigger hope is to help the process of scientific discovery itself," Ermon said. "We're asking: Can we design these ...
- New machine learning method from Stanford, with Toyota researchers, could supercharge battery development for electric vehicleson February 19, 2020 at 9:25 am
Battery performance can make or break the electric vehicle experience ... “The bigger hope is to help the process of scientific discovery itself,” Ermon said. “We’re asking: Can we design these ...
- AI delivers a battery boost to electric vehicles, slashing testing times 98%on February 18, 2020 at 8:17 am
On Tuesday, battery testing for EVs surged forward ... This current challenge of using AI in the scientific discovery process is forcing us to think about some very deep problems," Ermon said, ...
- Battery Co.'s Sanctions Bid In $100M IP Fight Is 'Absurd'on February 14, 2020 at 11:41 am
Law360 (February 14, 2020, 2:37 PM EST) -- Digital infrastructure company Vertiv Group Corp., the former business partner of LiiON LLC, came to "absurd conclusions" about discovery-related issues as ...
- Jaguar I-Pace production suspended over battery supply issueson February 12, 2020 at 3:34 am
Jaguar has confirmed that I-Pace production has temporarily halted as a result of battery supply issues ... who work on the creation of the Range Rover Evoque and Land Rover Discovery Sport models. It ...