The University of Surrey and King’s College London have developed a new machine learning algorithm (AI) that could transform the way we monitor major infrastructure – such as dams and bridges.
In a paper published by the journal Structural Health Monitoring, researchers from Surrey and Kings detail how they created an AI system named SHMnet to analyse and assess the damage of bolt connections used in metallic structures.
Built on the foundations of a modified Alex-Net neural network, the research team set up an impact hammer test under lab conditions and tasked SHMnet with accurately identifying the subtle condition changes of connection bolts on a steel frame under 10 damage scenarios.
The team found that when SHMnet is trained using four repeated datasets, it had a flawless (100 per cent) identification record in their tests.
Dr Ying Wang, the corresponding author of the paper and Assistant Professor at the University of Surrey, said:
“The performance of our neural network suggests that SHMnet could be incredibly useful to structural engineers, governments and other organisations tasked with monitoring the integrity of bridges, towers, dams and other metal structures.
“While there is more to do, such as testing SHMnet under different vibration conditions and obtaining more training data, the real test is for this system to be used in the field where a reliable, accurate and affordable way of monitoring infrastructure is sorely needed.”
The Latest on: Monitoring major infrastructure
- Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) Market 2019-2023 | Demand of Digital Signatures to Boost Growth | Technavioon May 29, 2020 at 8:45 pm
Technavio has been monitoring the public key infrastructure (PKI) market and it is poised to grow by USD 1.99 billion during 2019-2023, progressing at a CAGR of over 17% during the forecast period.
- FG invites bid for monitoring of spending of Abacha looton May 28, 2020 at 10:09 am
The Federal Ministry of Justice on Thursday opened technical bids for Consultancy Service to monitor the implementation of Abacha loot III. The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) that the Consultancy ...
- Network Monitoring Market 2020 | Top 3 Trends Impelling Industry Share by 2026on May 28, 2020 at 12:11 am
Selbyville, Delaware – According to Global Market Insights, Growing bring-your-own-device (BYOD) work practice ...
- Infrastructure Monitoring Market Next Big Thing | Major Giants Dynatrace, Splunk, Datadogon May 27, 2020 at 11:12 pm
Latest released the research study on Global Infrastructure Monitoring Market offers a detailed overview of the factors influencing the global business scope Infrastructure Monitoring Market research ...
- German Respiratory Devices Market, Forecast to 2025 - Focus on Therapeutic Devices, Diagnostic & Monitoring Devices, Consumables & Accessorieson May 26, 2020 at 6:15 am
PRNewswire/ -- The "Germany Respiratory Device Market 2019-2025" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. Germany's respiratory ...
- Research Report with COVID-19 Forecasts - Healthcare Cloud Computing Market 2020-2024 | Development of Hyper-Converged Infrastructure to Boost Growth | Technavioon May 25, 2020 at 12:45 pm
Technavio has announced its latest market research report titled Global Healthcare Cloud Computing Market 2020-2024 (Graphic: Business Wire) LONDON-- ( BUSINESS WIRE )--Technavio has been monitoring ...
- Health infrastructure must be ramped up to ensure preparedness for next 2 months: Govton May 24, 2020 at 1:06 am
Eleven municipal areas from Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Gujarat, Delhi, Madhya Pradesh, West Bengal and Rajasthan account for 70 per cent of the active caseload, the Union health ministry said in a ...
- Caracol TV, Lawo Partner on Remote Signal Monitoring Infrastructureon May 21, 2020 at 5:21 am
Lawo, a German audio, video, network, and control company, and Bogota, Colombia-based Caracol TV recently devised a solution enabling the company's engineers to monitor and meter critical audio ...
- Opinion: Suspending oilsands monitoring threatens World Heritage Siteon May 21, 2020 at 5:00 am
All across the country, Canadians are making extraordinary sacrifices to safeguard the health of their neighbours.
- Software-as-a-service monitoring firm BetterCloud raises $75Mon May 20, 2020 at 6:06 am
Software-as-a-service management company BetterCloud Inc. today said it has raised $75 million in a fresh round of funding led by the private equity firm Warburg Pincus. Existing investors Accel, Bain ...
via Bing News
The Latest on: Monitoring civil infrastructure
- Nigeria invites bid for monitoring of spending of Abacha looton May 28, 2020 at 10:18 am
The Federal Ministry of Justice on Thursday opened technical bids for Consultancy Service to monitor the implementation of Abacha loot III.
- AI-Driven Monitoring/Maintenance Solution Enables Self-Healing Roads and Bridgeson May 20, 2020 at 1:35 am
Luna Lu is investigating unique ways to build artificial intelligence into concrete-paved bridges and highways, enabling them to prevent and repair their own damage.
- These 5 people will monitor Modi’s Rs 21 lakh cr economic package; PM forms informal GoMon May 18, 2020 at 2:57 am
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has assigned an informal group of ministers (GoM) with the responsibility of monitoring his Rs ... Minister Piyush Goyal, and Civil Aviation Minister Hardeep Puri.
- Stamping of passengers' boarding pass to be dispensed with at airports in Indiaon May 14, 2020 at 3:25 am
New Delhi [India], May 14 (ANI): The Bureau of Civil Aviation ... order copy also stated that a "monitoring system of high definition CCTV cameras and supporting infrastructure are maintained ...
- Task Force approves safety guidelines for construction workon May 12, 2020 at 5:00 am
and the strict monitoring of the workers’ health conditions. During yesterday’s “Laging Handa” virtual public briefing, the Civil Service Commission (CSC) also directed government agencies ...
- China's New Ocean-Monitoring Satellite Passes Factory Testson May 11, 2020 at 12:38 am
It is the country's fourth satellite for monitoring ocean color and an operational satellite for China's civil space infrastructure system, according to the National Satellite Ocean Application Center ...
- China's new ocean-monitoring satellite passes factory testson May 9, 2020 at 2:29 am
It is the country's fourth satellite for monitoring ocean color and an operational satellite for China's civil space infrastructure system, according to the National Satellite Ocean Application ...
- CIVE.5110 Inspection and Monitoring of Civil Infrastructure (Formerly 14.511)on March 12, 2016 at 11:39 pm
In this course, principles and applications of inspection and monitoring techniques for the condition assessment of aged/damaged/deteriorated civil infrastructure ...
via Bing News