A group of researchers at Osaka University developed a novel two-dimensional (2D) graphical tactile display to which one-dimensional (1D) adhesive information could be added by controlling adhesion of designated portions of the display surface. (Fig.1)
Their research results were presented at SIGGRAPH ASIA 2019 Emerging Technologies, which was held in Australia from November 18 through November 20, 2019. The research team received the BEST DEMO VOTED BY COMMITTEE AWARD.
With conventional techniques, it was impossible to perform dynamic and interactive control by changing the shape or friction coefficient of an area on the surface of an electronic device, such as a paper-like screen, in order to enhance its operability. Thus, researchers have made efforts to present further information by using visual presentation that can also deliver other sensory (tactile) content.
In the entertainment industry, such as in video games, displays that give players a sense of temperature or shock have been proposed so that they can feel as if they were actually in the scene of a game. In particular, many haptic displays and element technologies that give players tactile feedback have been devised.
This group of researchers developed a display in which the sense of touch, i.e. a 1D “sticky” sensation, can be added to a 2D vision display. On their display is mounted a temperature sensitive adhesive sheet, a special polymer sheet whose adhesion (friction) can be changed by controlling the temperature of the display surface with a computer.
In order to present changes in adhesion in a range that does not bring a sense of discomfort to a user, the researchers used an adhesive sheet with a boundary temperature of 40°C. The sheet rapidly becomes sticky through heating to a temperature above 40°C, showing the largest adhesion of 2.6 [N/25mm] in the temperature range of 30°C ~ 48°C.
With this display, users can take in both visual and tactile information, something difficult to achieve through ordinary 2D displays. For example, one can feel a folder and learn its capacity by touching it while navigating the folder hierarchy, which can be preset to vary adhesion by folder capacity. It is also possible to impede the operability of a device to prevent users from carelessly swiping through content so that they can focus on sections containing important information, which are set to increased adhesion levels.
In addition, it is also possible to apply this technology to touchscreens for people with visual impairments and allow users who are looking at an image of a sticky object on the screen to feel the displayed object’s stickiness as if they were actually touching the object in the image.
Associate Professor Itoh says, “This graphical tactile system allows users to get ‘touch and feel’ information that would be difficult to perceive on a visual display. We will consider applications to entertainment and digital signage to pursue its commercial viability.”
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Apple wants an iPhone that doesn't just survive underwater, but is usable thereon April 2, 2020 at 9:25 am
"In some embodiments, at least one tactile output generator is collocated with, or proximate to, a touch-sensitive surface (e.g., touch-sensitive display system) and, optionally, generates a tactile ...
- "Polyionic" material may make for better braille displayson April 1, 2020 at 1:33 pm
Displays utilizing electroactive polymers (EAPs) have been put forward as an alternative, as they're able to show much more text at one time, plus they can be used to present other types of tactile ...
- Huawei P40 Pro Review: Drop-Dead Glorious Looks & Performance. Time To Do Without Google?on April 1, 2020 at 11:03 am
The latest phone from Huawei is gorgeous and powerful. But it doesn’t have Google Mobile Services on board. So, should you buy it?
- The Best Gaming Keyboards For March 2020: Razer, Steelseries, Logitech, HyperX, And Moreon March 26, 2020 at 3:42 pm
and there are no other options if you prefer a clicky or tactile switch. That said, the way the keys respond can still feel like night and day depending on where you are on the actuation scale. A host ...
- Relative posture between head and finger determines perceived tactile direction of motionon March 26, 2020 at 3:28 am
The hand explores the environment for obtaining tactile information that can be fruitfully integrated with other functions, such as vision, audition, and movement. In theory, somatosensory signals ...
- Europe Display Technologies Market 2020 is Evolving Rapidly with Economic Growth, Demand, and Forthcoming Opportunitieson March 26, 2020 at 12:33 am
A display device is an output device for presentation of information in visual or tactile form. The growth of this market is propelled by the rapid technological advancements and increased need for ...
- 'Touchable' holograms are now an actual thingon March 25, 2020 at 2:07 am
They are calling such non-contact stimulation ‘Midair Haptics.’ Its prototype Airborne Ultrasound tactile Display does not require users to wear any devices. Ultrasound transducers arrayed on the ...
- Redmi K30 Pro latest teasers: 4D immersive tactile feedback, Game Turbo 3.0 & more!on March 18, 2020 at 6:39 am
Furthermore, the Redmi K30 Pro display will equally come with a mechanical keyboard-like tactile feedback feature which will come in useful not just for typing but also during gaming. The virtual ...
- Married At First Sight's Martha Kalifatidis and Michael Brunelli look loved-up amid cheating claimson March 17, 2020 at 7:55 am
The beauty influencer and her hunky beau put on a very loved-up display while visiting a cafe near their home in Bondi. United front! Married At First Sight stars Martha Kalifatidis, 31 ...
- Pocket-size Pi Zero Desktop Features E-paper Displayon March 6, 2020 at 4:00 pm
The final device, which he refers to as the StickPi, combines a Pi Zero W, the Waveshare e-Paper display, and a strip of protoboard featuring a few tactile buttons, all inside of a 3D printed case.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Graphical tactile system
The Latest Bing News on:
Graphical tactile system
- The best iPhone apps of 2020on April 3, 2020 at 3:06 am
Apps are the cornerstone of the iPhone – what really set it apart from Android. The best iPhone apps are typically best in class. However, finding the greatest apps among the millions available isn’t ...
- 2020 Mercedes-AMG GLC 63 S Coupe: An Interior Befitting AMG?on April 3, 2020 at 1:00 am
And they are nice to the touch, both tactile and intuitive. A 10.3-inch MBUX infotainment screen is propped ... Mercedes still uses a touchpad in the center console to control the screen. The latest ...
- Apple could release a camera app that SPEAKS to help the visually impaired snap the perfect photoon April 2, 2020 at 2:22 pm
Apple's latest patent is for a camera app that speaks to users in order to help those who are visually impaired snap the perfect photo. It tells users where faces are in the frame, allowing them to ...
- Tactile Systems Technology Incon March 30, 2020 at 5:00 pm
When autocomplete results are available use up and down arrows to review and enter to select. Touch device users, explore by touch or with swipe gestures.
- Running Programs On Paperon March 28, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Word processors, graphics utilities ... projecting back onto the page. It’s a system that creates a very tactile way of interacting with a program – by moving the page around or placing ...
- Dear Stanford: On accessibility and community amid COVID-19on March 27, 2020 at 4:34 pm
It was supported by the fact that I receive accommodations from the Office of Accessible Education (OAE), some of which require in-person assistance and/or hard copies of tactile graphics. This ...
- Air Force Eyes Northrop-Built ICBM Control System for Training Missile Operatorson March 25, 2020 at 2:23 pm
The U.S. Air Force plans to deploy a Northrop Grumman-built training system to help train operators handling intercontinental ballistic ... Matthew Hlivko, commander of the Air Force's 625th Strategic ...
- A new training system for the Air Force’s airborne ICBM launch center is coming soonon March 24, 2020 at 2:09 pm
“The new virtual system will create a better training environment for students and will include improved hardware, software, 3D graphic displays and higher fidelity touch panels ... the Air Force was ...
- Driving developments in car cockpit techon March 19, 2020 at 12:00 am
There’s growing interest in the use of 3D graphics ... It all adds up to a pleasingly tactile experience that heightens the sense of interaction with the car and reduces the need to look at the screen ...
- Braille music notation: what does it look like, how does it work and who invented it?on March 13, 2020 at 6:46 am
Louis Braille adapted his tactile reading system for music and mathematics by adding extra symbols. “He did it in a linear and a literary way, rather than using a graphic score as print music would,” ...