A small, inexpensive sensor could save lives by triggering an alarm when children or pets are left alone in vehicles.
The new device, developed by researchers at the University of Waterloo, combines radar technology with artificial intelligence (AI) to detect unattended children or animals with 100-per-cent accuracy.
Small enough to fit in the palm of a hand at just three centimetres in diameter, the device is designed to be attached to a vehicle’s rear-view mirror or mounted on the ceiling.
It sends out radar signals that are reflected back by people, animals and objects in the vehicle. Built-in AI then analyzes the reflected signals.
“It addresses a serious, world-wide problem,” said George Shaker, an engineering professor at Waterloo. his system is so affordable it could become standard equipment in all vehicles.”
Development of the wireless, disc-shaped sensor was funded in part by a major automotive parts manufacturer that is aiming to bring it to market by the end of 2020.
Analysis by the device determines the number of occupants and their locations in a vehicle. That information could be used to set rates for ride-sharing services and toll roads, or to qualify vehicles for car-pool lanes.
Its primary purpose, however, is to detect when a child or pet has been accidentally or deliberately left behind, a scenario that can result in serious harm or death in extremely hot or cold weather.
In such cases, the system would prevent vehicle doors from locking and sound an alarm to alert the driver, passengers and other people in the area that there is a problem.
“Unlike cameras, this device preserves privacy and it doesn’t have any blind spots because radar can penetrate seats, for instance, to determine if there is an infant in a rear-facing car seat,” said Shaker, a cross-appointed professor of electrical and computer engineering, and mechanical and mechatronics engineering.
The low-power device, which runs on a vehicle’s battery, distinguishes between living beings and inanimate objects by detecting subtle breathing movements.
Researchers are now exploring the use of that capability to monitor the vital signs of drivers for indications of fatigue, distraction, impairment, illness or other issues.
The Latest on: Wireless sensor
via Google News
The Latest on: Wireless sensor
- Curtiss-Wright Boosts High-Speed Wireless Data Acquisition Support for Flight Test and Monitoring Applicationson June 23, 2020 at 12:21 pm
Curtiss-Wright’s new KAM/WSI/104/C interface module for the KAM-500 enables simultaneous, high-speed sensing and data aggregation from a LORD wireless sensor network. Wireless sensor nodes can be ...
- First of Its Kind Cellular Modem from Laird Connectivity Simplifies Bridging Cellular IoT to Bluetooth Sensorson June 23, 2020 at 9:13 am
This unique wireless combination enables new use cases for long-range Bluetooth sensors to bridge sensor data to the cloud, all in a simple and easy-to-use architecture. The combination of ...
- Honor announces the entry-level Honor 9A, plus new wireless earbudson June 23, 2020 at 6:00 am
Huawei sub-brand Honor announced a couple of new devices, including an entry-level smartphone and affordable wireless earbuds. It also announced a number of new promotions and sales.
- Yokogawa announces Sushi Sensor for IIoT asset managementon June 22, 2020 at 7:48 pm
The Sushi Sensor combined with AI GA10 software detects early signs of abnormal operating characteristics and transforms a reactive maintenance process to one which is proactive, intelligent, and ...
- Wireless Gas Detection Market Worth $1.9 Billion by 2025on June 22, 2020 at 6:22 am
According to the new market research report "Wireless Gas Detection Market with Covid-19 impact by Technology (Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Cellular, License-Free Ism Band), Offering (Hardware (Detectors/ ...
- This HD wireless security cam is just $75 todayon June 20, 2020 at 11:03 am
This increasingly popular home security camera is fully wireless, comes with enhanced night vision capabilities and offers HD panoramic views of any room in your house—all within a stylish and ...
- Global Occupancy Sensor Market Insights, 2013-2024 Featuring Profiles of Leading Players Legrand, Schneider Electric, Eaton, Johnson Controls, Signify, and More ...on June 18, 2020 at 6:52 am
The "Technology Landscape, Trends and Opportunities in the Global Occupancy Sensor Market" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. This report analyzes technology maturity, degree ...
- Gas Sensor Market Shipments to Exceed 80 Million Units by 2026: Global Market Insights, Inc.on June 18, 2020 at 5:01 am
The integration of connected devices, IoT, and wireless technology with sensors to gather real-time monitoring data will positively influence the market growth. The carbon monoxide (CO ...
- The Global Sensors for the Internet of Things (IoT) Market is poised to grow at a CAGR of around 34.8% by 2028on June 17, 2020 at 8:33 am
Reportlinker.com announces the release of the report "Global Sensors for the Internet of Things (IoT) Market Analysis & Trends - Industry.
- Global Wireless Pressure Sensors Market 2020 Key Players, Industry Overview, Supply Chain and Analysis to 2026on June 17, 2020 at 6:49 am
Global “Wireless Pressure Sensors Market” Market study report covers the global and regional market with an in-depth analysis of the overall growth prospects in the market. Furthermore, it gives the ...
via Bing News