A small, inexpensive sensor could save lives by triggering an alarm when children or pets are left alone in vehicles.
The new device, developed by researchers at the University of Waterloo, combines radar technology with artificial intelligence (AI) to detect unattended children or animals with 100-per-cent accuracy.
Small enough to fit in the palm of a hand at just three centimetres in diameter, the device is designed to be attached to a vehicle’s rear-view mirror or mounted on the ceiling.
It sends out radar signals that are reflected back by people, animals and objects in the vehicle. Built-in AI then analyzes the reflected signals.
“It addresses a serious, world-wide problem,” said George Shaker, an engineering professor at Waterloo. his system is so affordable it could become standard equipment in all vehicles.”
Development of the wireless, disc-shaped sensor was funded in part by a major automotive parts manufacturer that is aiming to bring it to market by the end of 2020.
Analysis by the device determines the number of occupants and their locations in a vehicle. That information could be used to set rates for ride-sharing services and toll roads, or to qualify vehicles for car-pool lanes.
Its primary purpose, however, is to detect when a child or pet has been accidentally or deliberately left behind, a scenario that can result in serious harm or death in extremely hot or cold weather.
In such cases, the system would prevent vehicle doors from locking and sound an alarm to alert the driver, passengers and other people in the area that there is a problem.
“Unlike cameras, this device preserves privacy and it doesn’t have any blind spots because radar can penetrate seats, for instance, to determine if there is an infant in a rear-facing car seat,” said Shaker, a cross-appointed professor of electrical and computer engineering, and mechanical and mechatronics engineering.
The low-power device, which runs on a vehicle’s battery, distinguishes between living beings and inanimate objects by detecting subtle breathing movements.
Researchers are now exploring the use of that capability to monitor the vital signs of drivers for indications of fatigue, distraction, impairment, illness or other issues.
The Latest on: Wireless sensor
via Google News
The Latest on: Wireless sensor
- Amazon Black Friday: save 46% on B&O noise-cancelling wireless headphoneson November 29, 2019 at 2:56 pm
If you're in the market for a premium pair of wireless, noise-cancelling headphones, the H9is tick a lot of boxes. Their design oozes luxury and includes touch controls and a proximity sensor to aid ...
- Indoor Surveillance Wireless Video Camera With Motion Sensor - Technology Market - Nairalandon November 29, 2019 at 10:34 am
Indoor Surveillance Wireless Video Camera with Motion Sensor by Victure..☛ https://www.naijastore.net/2018/07/2-way-audio-wireless-baby-camera-home.html ...
- Black Friday 2019 gaming mouse deal: get a quality wireless Logitech mouse for $64on November 29, 2019 at 9:55 am
This mouse uses Logitech's proprietary 'Lightspeed' wireless technology, enabling it to have a 1ms report rate for similar performance to wired USB mice. It uses a PMW3366 optical sensor, with a ...
- Apple's fifth patent on integrating gas detecting sensors in iDevices focuses on adding Specialized Pressure Sensorson November 28, 2019 at 1:29 pm
Pressure sensors are used to measure pressure in a gas or liquid environment ... 8 above is a block diagram illustrating an example wireless communication device, within which one or more ...
- Wireless Sensor Network Market Huge Growth Opportunities and Trends to 2025on November 28, 2019 at 10:21 am
Nov 28, 2019 (Market Insight Reports via COMTEX) -- The Wireless Sensor Network Market report delivers a comprehensive overview of the crucial elements of the market and elements such as drivers, ...
- Wireless Sensor Market 2019| Analysis, Revenue, Price, Market Share, Growth Rate, Forecast to 2025 | Market Research Engineon November 27, 2019 at 8:04 pm
The Global Wireless Sensor Market is expected to exceed at a CAGR of 19% in the given forecast period. You Can Browse Full Report here: https://www.marketresearchengine.com/wireless-sensor-market The ...
- Best Parking Sensors: Park You Car Easily and Safelyon November 27, 2019 at 12:05 pm
Its beep warning may be too loud. The colors may not be a perfect distance indicator. Although a wireless parking sensor is easy to install, it may not be as accurate as a wired one. A wired parking ...
- Apple patents new ‘Air Pressure Sensor’ for future AirPods Pro and Powerbeats Proon November 26, 2019 at 7:44 pm
The company has now patented a new technology which can be seen in the future wireless earphones from Apple. The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has officially published a series of 61 newly granted ...
- A Novel Needle-Injectable Millimeter scale Wireless Electrochemical Glucose Sensing Platform for Artificial Pancreas Applicationson November 22, 2019 at 2:25 am
In this paper, a novel needle-injectable mm-size wireless sensing platform is presented to fulfill these requirements for an artificial pancreas by combining advanced microelectronics, nanotechnology ...
- Sacramento's Rhombus adds sensors to security offeringson November 21, 2019 at 12:04 pm
Sacramento-based smart security camera company Rhombus Systems Inc. has added a coordinated line of sensors to its cloud-based offerings. Rhombus, founded in 2016, has offered wireless video ...
via Bing News