Getting to the doctor’s office for a check-up can be challenging for someone with a neurological disorder that impairs their movement, such as a stroke. But what if the patient could just take a video clip of their movements with a smart phone and forward the results to their doctor?
Work by Dr Hardeep Ryait and colleagues at CCBN-University of Lethbridge in Alberta, Canada, publishing November 21 in the open-access journal PLOS Biology, shows how this might one day be possible.
Using rats that had incurred a stroke that affected the movement of their fore-limbs, the scientists first asked experts to score the rats’ degree of impairment based on how they reached for food. Then they input this information into a state-of-the-art deep neural network so that it could learn to score the rats’ reaching movements with human-expert accuracy. When the network was subsequently given video footage from a new set of rats reaching for food, it was then also able to score their impairments with similar human-like accuracy. The same program proved able to score other tests given to rats and mice, including tests of their ability to walk across a narrow beam and to pull a string to obtain a food reward.
Artificial neural networks are currently used to drive cars, to interpret video surveillance and to monitor and regulate traffic. This revolution in the use of artificial neural networks has encouraged behavioural neuroscientists to use such networks for scoring the complex behaviour of experimental subjects. Similarly, neurological disorders could also be assessed automatically, allowing quantification of behaviour as part of a check-up or to assess the effects of a drug treatment. This could help avoid the delay that can present a major roadblock to patient treatment.
Altogether, this research indicates that deep neural networks such as this can provide a reliable score for neurological assessment and can assist in designing behavioural metrics to diagnose and monitor neurological disorders. Interestingly, the results revealed that this network can use a wider range of information than that included by experts in a behavioural scoring system. A further distinct contribution of this research is that this network was able to identify features of the behaviour that are most indicative of motor impairments. This is important because this has the potential to improve monitoring the effects of rehabilitation. This method would aid standardization of the diagnosis and monitoring of neurological disorders, and in the future could be used by patients at home for monitoring of daily symptoms.
Learn more: Deep learning to analyze neurological problems
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Analyzing neurological problems
The Latest Bing News on:
Analyzing neurological problems
- Neurology Devices Market 2020-2024 | Increasing Prevalence of the Neurological Disorders to Boost Growth | Technavioon March 20, 2020 at 1:30 pm
Increasing prevalence of the neurological disorders has been instrumental in driving the growth of the market ... Our neurology devices market report covers the following areas: We provide a detailed ...
- Autoencoder – a new method for keeping data privacy when analyzing videos of patients with motor dysfunction – a proof of concept study.on March 20, 2020 at 10:13 am
In chronical neurological diseases, especially in multiple sclerosis (MS), clinical assessment of motor dysfunction is crucial to monitor patients’ disease. Traditional scales are not sensitive enough ...
- At 22.4% CAGR, Medical Marijuana Market 2019 Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Current Trends, Segmentation and Forecast to 2025on March 20, 2020 at 3:18 am
The research will helps to identify and analyze pharmacological, agricultural and genetic characteristics ... The rapidly increasing number of patients of cancer, chronic pain, and various ...
- Proteomics Market Analysis to 2026 with Detailed Business Opportunities and Sizeon March 18, 2020 at 11:33 pm
The latest market report published by Credence Research, Inc. "Proteomics Market - Growth, Future Prospects, Competitive Analysis, 2018 - 2026," the global proteomics market was valued at US$ 15.1 Bn ...
- Implantable Medical Devices Market Outlook 2019 - Growth Drivers, Opportunities and Forecast Analysis to 2025on March 17, 2020 at 4:11 am
Aided with numerous technological innovations and the development of novel products, the global implantable medical devices market is projected to witness a lucrative rate of growth over the ...
- Narcolepsy Market – Global Analysis and Forecasts To 2027 Key Players Bioprojet, Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd., Jazz Pharmaceuticals, Incon March 16, 2020 at 9:51 pm
According to a new market research study titled ‘Narcolepsy Market – Global Analysis and Forecasts by Type ... driving the market are rising prevalence of sleep related disorders, emerging local ...
- HIFU Therapy Market Analysis 2017-2026, Company Profiles, Product Analysis & Recent Developments of 20 HIFU Manufacturerson March 16, 2020 at 9:08 am
DUBLIN, March 16, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- The "Global High Intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU) Therapy Market (by Application and Region), Company Profiles, Product Analysis & Recent Development of 20 ...
- Transcriptome signature analysis repurposes trifluoperazine for the treatment of fragile X syndrome in mouse modelon March 16, 2020 at 3:35 am
Together, our data demonstrate a promising value of transcriptome-based computation in identification of therapeutic strategy and repurposing drugs for neurological disorders, and suggest ...
- Exploring the biological link between reactivated HSV and neurological diseaseon March 10, 2020 at 7:33 pm
The potential for accrued nervous system damage from HSV reactivation to contribute to neurological diseases like Alzheimer's is currently a hot topic ... "This required painstakingly detailed ...
- Biogen Inc: 2020 Financial & Strategic SWOT Analysis Review Including Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities & Threats - ResearchAndMarkets.comon March 10, 2020 at 7:13 am
Biogen Inc (BIIB) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis ... develops and delivers drugs and biosimilars for the treatment of neurological and ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Analysis on North America's Deep Learning Chipset Industry, 2019-2025: Anticipating a CAGR of 35.4%on March 21, 2020 at 8:33 am
The "North America Deep Learning Chipset Market, by Type, by Technology, by End User, by Country, Industry Analysis and Forecast, 2019 - 2025" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's ...
- Deep Learning Predicts Stroke-Lesion Changes at 1 Weekon March 20, 2020 at 6:47 am
A deep learning algorithm is comparable or even superior to common clinical measures for predicting infarct size and location up to a week following acute ischemic stroke, new research suggests.
- Global Deep Learning Chipset Market by Type, Technology, End-user and Region - Forecast to 2025on March 19, 2020 at 12:36 pm
Dublin, March 19, 2020 -- The "Global Deep Learning Chipset Market, by Type, by Technology, by End User, by Region, Industry Analysis and Forecast, 2019 - 2025" report.
- North American Deep Learning Chipset Market by Type, Technology, End-user and Country - Forecast to 2025on March 19, 2020 at 5:53 am
Research and Markets also offers Custom Research services providing focused, comprehensive and tailored research.
- Hybrid AI systems are quietly solving the problems of deep learningon March 19, 2020 at 3:54 am
Deep learning, the main innovation that has renewed interest in artificial intelligence in the past years, has helped solve many critical problems in computer vision, natural language processing, and ...
- Test-time augmentation for deep learning-based cell segmentation on microscopy imageson March 19, 2020 at 3:10 am
Recent advancements in deep learning have revolutionized the way microscopy images of cells are processed. Deep learning network architectures have a large number of parameters, thus, in order to ...
- Automatic optic nerve head localization and cup-to-disc ratio detection using state-of-the-art deep-learning architectureson March 19, 2020 at 3:08 am
Computer vision has greatly advanced recently. Since AlexNet was first introduced, many modified deep learning architectures have been developed and they are still evolving. However, there are few ...
- Deep learning changes scientific research, finds antibiotic for multi-resistant bacteriaon March 18, 2020 at 12:55 pm
Scientists at MIT and Harvard’s Broad Institute and MIT’s CSAIL built a deep learning network that can acquire a broad representation of molecular structure and thereby discover novel antibiotics.
- Deep Learning Market Size Record Booming 51.1% CAGR by 2020 to 2026on March 18, 2020 at 4:22 am
The global Deep Learning market is analyzed to grow at a CAGR of around 51.1% during the forecast period and projected to reach the market value over US$ 56,427.2 Mn in 2027. The study provides an ...
- MIT’s deep learning found an antibiotic for a germ nothing else could killon March 13, 2020 at 1:14 pm
Scientists at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Harvard last month described in the scholarly journal Cell how they used a deep learning neural network to identify a molecular compound ...