A system that uses solar energy to provide air conditioning across an entire campus of the University of the Sunshine Coast has claimed a rather cool international award in Iceland.
USC and resource management company Veolia won the Out of the Box category of the Global District Energy Climate Awards on Friday for their ‘water battery’, featuring 6,000 solar panels and a thermal energy storage tank, that is cutting grid energy use at the Sunshine Coast campus by 40 percent.
“USC has a plan to be completely carbon neutral by 2025, which is a challenge to any budget because it requires significant changes to the way energy is captured and consumed,” Dr Snyder said.
“So, we really did have to think out of the box, and by forming a partnership with Veolia, we were able to negotiate a 10-year plan that suited us both and delivered major energy savings to the University.
“The system was switched on in September and is now delivering 2.1 megawatts of power and we estimate that we will save more than $100 million in energy costs over the next 25 years.
“Another benefit is that we are able to take our students to visit the system and teach them about innovation and finding cleaner energy solutions for the future.”
Veolia Regional Energy Services Manager Andrew Darr said the win reflected nearly four years of hard work, and a successful ongoing partnership with USC.
The Latest on: Water battery
via Google News
The Latest on: Water battery
- Construction begins on the world’s biggest liquid air batteryon June 23, 2020 at 11:47 am
Construction is beginning on the world’s largest liquid air battery, which will store renewable electricity and reduce carbon emissions from fossil-fuel power plants. The project near Manchester, U.K.
- Wyze’s battery-powered outdoor camera can also monitor your hotel roomon June 23, 2020 at 10:00 am
Wyze’s first outdoor camera — the appropriately titled Wyze Cam Outdoor — is a battery-powered, water-resistant, Wi-Fi security camera designed to be used outside. It costs $49.99 for a starter bundle ...
- Introducing HidrateSpark STEEL: The World's Smartest Water Bottle for Next Wave Hydrationon June 23, 2020 at 5:38 am
Smart water bottle pioneer HidrateSpark announced today the release of HidrateSpark STEEL. This next-generation rechargeable ...
- ReCell Center could save costly nickel and cobalt, transform battery recycling worldwideon June 22, 2020 at 1:11 pm
ReCell Center could save costly nickel and cobalt, transform battery recycling worldwide. DOE/Argonne National Laboratory. Argonne's ReCell Center has already made pivotal discove ...
- AirPods Pro vs. Jabra Elite 75t: Sound quality, battery life, comfort and connectivityon June 21, 2020 at 4:08 am
The AirPods Pro are the jack-of-all-trades when it comes to wireless earbuds: great active noise canceling, excellent call quality and good sound. They don't have as much bass as ...
- This $90,000 egg-shaped tiny home is powered by wind and solar energy and collects and filters its own water supply — see insideon June 19, 2020 at 6:00 pm
The Ecocapsule tiny home can accommodate up to two people with its kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, and dining room.
- To Boost Renewable Energy, Australia Looks to Water and Gravityon June 18, 2020 at 11:03 am
Pumped storage hydropower could store intermittent energy from wind and solar power to de-carbonize the nation’s electricity supply ...
- Everyone talks about the when, but not about the how. Making the most out of a battery filling systemon June 18, 2020 at 1:47 am
BOLTON, England, June 17, 2020: Battery watering is one of those tasks that gets kicked down the road until it’s too late. Well, it used to be until our range of SmartBlinky electrolyte indicators ...
- Tesla Inks Battery Agreement With Panasonicon June 17, 2020 at 12:25 pm
Revisiting a partnership which originated in 2014, Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA) revealed in a regulatory filing yesterday that it and Panasonic Corporation (OTC:PCRF.Y) "entered into an am ...
- DOOGEE Unveils Iron Man-Inspired Handset With 10,000mAh Batteryon June 16, 2020 at 12:14 am
DOOGEE has just announced a new smartphone, which is not only Iron Man-inspired, but it includes a huge 10,000mAh battery. The name of this device is ...
via Bing News