A system that uses solar energy to provide air conditioning across an entire campus of the University of the Sunshine Coast has claimed a rather cool international award in Iceland.
USC and resource management company Veolia won the Out of the Box category of the Global District Energy Climate Awards on Friday for their ‘water battery’, featuring 6,000 solar panels and a thermal energy storage tank, that is cutting grid energy use at the Sunshine Coast campus by 40 percent.
“USC has a plan to be completely carbon neutral by 2025, which is a challenge to any budget because it requires significant changes to the way energy is captured and consumed,” Dr Snyder said.
“So, we really did have to think out of the box, and by forming a partnership with Veolia, we were able to negotiate a 10-year plan that suited us both and delivered major energy savings to the University.
“The system was switched on in September and is now delivering 2.1 megawatts of power and we estimate that we will save more than $100 million in energy costs over the next 25 years.
“Another benefit is that we are able to take our students to visit the system and teach them about innovation and finding cleaner energy solutions for the future.”
Veolia Regional Energy Services Manager Andrew Darr said the win reflected nearly four years of hard work, and a successful ongoing partnership with USC.
The Latest on: Water battery
via Google News
The Latest on: Water battery
- Power Line: Top battery startups, and a look inside the booming hydrogen industryon January 31, 2020 at 9:55 am
This week in Power Line we peer inside two little-known industries and look back at the biggest deals in batteries and renewable energy in 2019.
- Climate-Friendly Battery Boom Presents Growing Fire Safety Challengeon January 29, 2020 at 10:41 pm
The battery’s moment has arrived. But rapidly swelling numbers will likely bring more ... Dousing the flames takes a large amount of water, and cells can re-ignite hours after the initial fire has ...
- SLI Battery Market Huge Growth By Leading Key Players - East Penn, Exide Industries, GS Yuasaon January 29, 2020 at 12:31 pm
An SLI (starting-lighting-ignition) battery is a lead-acid and rechargeable type of battery that is mainly used in motor vehicles. SLI means starting, lighting, and ignition; these processes are all ...
- Lansdown Industrial Precinct zoning gets go-ahead despite fears for drinking wateron January 28, 2020 at 2:19 pm
Townsville council has voted to rezone a site that could become home to a battery plant and a nickel refinery, despite staunch opposition from residents.
- iPod Inventor and Nest Founder Tony Fadell Backs Advano Battery Startupon January 27, 2020 at 9:43 pm
It’s Fadell’s first battery investment. Silicon could be key to building more powerful batteries ... In this webinar, system integrators will learn about new opportunities in markets such as metro, ...
- How to Make The Life of Your Car Battery Last Longeron January 27, 2020 at 9:00 pm
Double that car battery life and save some serious dough! These tips will keep your car's battery in tip-top condition for as long as possible.
- Dartmouth Water Dept. employee charged with rape free on $5K bailon January 27, 2020 at 10:41 am
FALL RIVER — A Dartmouth town employee, arrested and charged with rape and indecent assault and battery on a person over 14 years of age ... of the Westport Police Department confirmed that Nunes is ...
- Tesla CEO attempts to calm locals' water worries over German factoryon January 27, 2020 at 2:43 am
Tesla chief executive Elon Musk took to Twitter at the weekend to try and alleviate local people’s concerns that his planned new plant in the state of Brandenburg, Germany would damage the environment ...
- High-Performance, Aqueous Lithium-Ion Battery Is Safer Than Current Designson January 27, 2020 at 2:12 am
“Unlike traditional batteries, aqueous batteries can never catch fire,” he told Design News. “In addition, aqueous batteries are much cheaper, since water is inexpensive compared to the organic ...
- Lead Acid Battery Recycling Market Size, Analysis By Segmentation And Geography Overview | Fortune Business Insightson January 26, 2020 at 8:59 pm
Top Players in Lead Acid Battery Recycling Market are Excide Technologies, Umicore, Retriev Technologies, Gravita India Ltd., Call2Recyle, Gravita India limited, Battery Solutions, and Aqua Metals ...
via Bing News