A system that uses solar energy to provide air conditioning across an entire campus of the University of the Sunshine Coast has claimed a rather cool international award in Iceland.
USC and resource management company Veolia won the Out of the Box category of the Global District Energy Climate Awards on Friday for their ‘water battery’, featuring 6,000 solar panels and a thermal energy storage tank, that is cutting grid energy use at the Sunshine Coast campus by 40 percent.
“USC has a plan to be completely carbon neutral by 2025, which is a challenge to any budget because it requires significant changes to the way energy is captured and consumed,” Dr Snyder said.
“So, we really did have to think out of the box, and by forming a partnership with Veolia, we were able to negotiate a 10-year plan that suited us both and delivered major energy savings to the University.
“The system was switched on in September and is now delivering 2.1 megawatts of power and we estimate that we will save more than $100 million in energy costs over the next 25 years.
“Another benefit is that we are able to take our students to visit the system and teach them about innovation and finding cleaner energy solutions for the future.”
Veolia Regional Energy Services Manager Andrew Darr said the win reflected nearly four years of hard work, and a successful ongoing partnership with USC.
The Latest on: Water battery
via Google News
The Latest on: Water battery
- GLOBAL BATTERY RECYCLING MARKET FORECAST 2020-2028on April 6, 2020 at 8:40 am
KEY INSIGHTS The global battery recycling market is projected to register a CAGR of 8.52% during the forecast period, 2020-2028. The ...
- Rumored OnePlus Bullets Wireless Z's battery could last up to 20 hourson April 6, 2020 at 5:34 am
Exclusive: #OnePlus is launching Bullets Wireless Z earphones very soon and here are its key features. Expect Warp Charging and 20 hours (!!) of Battery Life along with low latency and water ...
- OnePlus Bullets Wireless Z leak before launch: New colours, bigger battery and moreon April 6, 2020 at 5:25 am
OnePlus is going to launch the Bullet Wireless Z earphones along with the OnePlus 8 series. The new earphones promise better battery life than last year's model.
- Battery Recycling Market Expected to Worth USD 17 bn at a CAGR of 24% by 2027|Call2Recycle, Inc., Exide Technologieson April 6, 2020 at 2:57 am
Global Battery Recycling Market Is Segmented By Chemistry: Others Lithium-Nickel Manganese Cobalt (Li-NMC), Lithium ...
- Mercedes is working on organic battery technology, but it will take awhile for it to get hereon April 6, 2020 at 2:00 am
These aren't solid-state batteries that have been the holy grail for battery developers for quite some time; those rely on solid electrolytes instead of gel-like electrolytes in traditional ...
- A $1,000 Samsung phone with a removable battery just went on sale in USon April 6, 2020 at 12:19 am
It’s also IP68 rated for water and dust resistance. As far as the specs of the phone are concerned, it features 2018’s flagship Exynos 9810 chipset. It also gets a 5.1-inch QHD display, 4GB RAM, 64GB ...
- This high-tech water bottle cleans itself with built-in UV sterilizationon April 5, 2020 at 11:36 pm
Did you know that there are more than 1 million bacteria in most reusable bottles? We know, the thought of that is enough to make even someone with an iron stomach recoil. It’s especially gross ...
- The best self-cleaning water bottles for the tastiest tap water in 2020on April 4, 2020 at 3:03 pm
That's slightly less than the CrazyCap and the Larq, but not such a short battery life that you'll feel burdened with charging the bottle. Truthfully, all three of these water bottles did a great job ...
- Self-Glowing Ring Is Its Own Batteryon April 4, 2020 at 10:18 am
A copper outer ring is then placed outside. When soaked in a salt water solution, this forms a basic battery. The voltage output is only around 0.5 volts, so a joule thief circuit is built into the ...
- Motorola Moto G8 Power Lite Is Official With Great Cameras, Batteryon April 2, 2020 at 1:12 pm
Motorola has now officially launched its new Moto G8 Power Lite, aimed at improving camera and battery performance in the budget smartphone segment. Branded as a more wallet-friendly alternative to ...
via Bing News