A new type of material for next-generation solar cells eliminates the need to use lead, which has been a major roadblock for this technology.
Solar cells, incorporating the mineral perovskite, have been the focus of attention since the material was first shown to work in 2009. Solar cells that are built using this material are more efficient than current solar panels. Current solar panels capture 15% to 18% of the solar energy on average, while perovskite solar cells have been found to be as much as 28% efficient.
But there are major obstacles to using these materials commercially: The materials are not stable, and they contain water-soluble lead, which is a health hazard.
Now a team of scientists and engineers led by Letian Dou, assistant professor of chemical engineering at Purdue University, have developed a sandwich-like material incorporating organic and inorganic materials to form a hybrid structure that doesn’t use lead and has much improved stability.
“These structures are very exciting,” Dou said. “The sandwich structures are like semiconductor quantum wells that are widely used today in many electronic and optoelectronic devices, but they are much easier to produce and more tolerant to defects,”
The research was published Monday (Nov. 11) in the journal Nature Chemistry.
In a paper published in the Journal of the American Chemical Society in September, the scientists had incorporated the material into an essential component of many electronic devices, a field effect transistor.
Yao Gao, lead author of both research papers and a postdoctoral fellow in Dou’s research group, said the new organic-inorganic hybrid perovskite materials are cheaper and perform better than a traditional inorganic semiconductor. Also, Gao said, the new material’s design strategy could serve as a blueprint for many other functional hybrid materials.
“Solar cells, as many people have demonstrated, can be highly efficient,” he said. “With our new technology, we can make the hybrid perovskite materials intrinsically more stable. By replacing the toxic lead, these new materials are better for the environment and can also be safely used for bioelectronics sensors on the body.”
The Latest on: Solar cells
- Plan commission will hold public hearing for amended solar panel farm ordinanceon June 23, 2020 at 3:28 pm
If approved, the amended ordinance would apply to all future solar panel farm project proposals, not just a recently proposed 1,400-acre solar panel farm in Eagle Creek Township, said Ned Kovachevich, ...
- Solar Panels in Polluted Delhi May Have Soaked up More Energy in Lockdownon June 23, 2020 at 8:55 am
After India's government implemented lockdown measures on March 24 to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, the amount of energy reaching solar panels in one part of the city shot up by 8 percent in ...
- India considers customs duty on solar equipment from Auguston June 23, 2020 at 7:52 am
India is considering imposing a customs duty on imports of solar modules, cells and inverters from August, the power ministry said on Tuesday, as part of a push to curb foreign purchases. India does ...
- Pollinator-Saving Solar Panels: Good for Farmers, Good for Businesson June 23, 2020 at 6:15 am
Farmers can get the best of both worlds when investing in solar panels by using that same land for pollinator habitats and other agricultural uses.
- Alternative Photovoltaic Solar Cell Technologies Market based on Latest Study of Potential Growth Challenges and Future Innovation till 2029.on June 23, 2020 at 3:47 am
Market.us research industry gives a complete investigation of the global Alternative Photovoltaic Solar Cell Technologies market for the predicted forecast period 2020-2029. The Alternative ...
- First Solar, Dow Ink Deal to Promote Solar Energy in Texason June 22, 2020 at 11:28 am
First Solar Inc. FSLR recently unveiled its 15-year power purchase agreement (PPA) with diversified chemical products manufacturer, Dow Inc. DOW. Per the terms of the deal, 75% of solar energy from ...
- 'Bright spot' during COVID-19: Increased power from solar panels thanks to cleaner airon June 22, 2020 at 7:40 am
During the COVID-19 pandemic, one unexpected outcome in cities around the world has been a reduction in air pollution, as people stay home to avoid contracting the coronavirus. Based on data collected ...
- The Navy is testing beaming solar power in spaceon June 22, 2020 at 7:05 am
Solar power has become a focal point of the battle to mitigate climate change. The potential of solar power is massive—Earth receives as much solar energy in an hour as all of humanity uses in a year.
- Floating Solar Panel Market Global Briefing, Growth Analysis And Opportunities Outlook 2020 To 2027on June 22, 2020 at 12:16 am
A new report published, titled "Floating Solar Panel Market: Global Demand Analysis & Opportunity Outlook 2027" delivers detailed overview of the floating solar panel market in terms of market ...
- Tesla's solar panels are now more efficient and affordableon June 19, 2020 at 1:35 pm
That bump in efficiency, combined with an over 17 percent price drop, could convince a decent amount of homeowners to make the jump to solar power. Not everything has been dandy for Tesla’s solar ...
via Bing News
The Latest on: Perovskite solar cell
- Perovskite solar pushes up efficiency in hydrogen-making cellon June 23, 2020 at 8:46 am
Scientist in Australia have used a custom perovskite solar cell to increase the efficiency of solar hydrogen production close to the point thought to be co ...
- At CAGR of 13.9%, Perovskite Solar Cells Module Market | Increased Growth Rate, Revenue, Share, Analysis and Forecast 2028on June 23, 2020 at 3:12 am
The Perovskite Solar Cells Module market size is projected to expand from USD 318 Mn in 2018 to USD 1046.2 Mn by 2028, at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 13.90% during the forecast period. For ...
- Global Quantum Dots Market Report 16th Edition - Featuring Avantama, Bio Square & Dotz Nano Among Others - ResearchAndMarkets.comon June 22, 2020 at 8:09 am
DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The "The Quantum Dots Report 2020 (16th Edition)" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. Quantum Dots (QDs) are used in a range of optoelectronic devices, ...
- Perovskite solar cells take a step forwardon June 18, 2020 at 10:59 am
See allHide authors and affiliations Today's monocrystalline silicon solar cells have their throne on the roofs of our houses. In the past decade, however, perovskite solar cells (PSCs) show ...
- Vapor fix lifts up perovskite crystal performanceon June 18, 2020 at 10:40 am
A simple and noninvasive treatment could become a prime post-crystallization process to optimize the optoelectronic properties of hybrid perovskite solar cell materials.
- Australian researchers claim new record for direct ‘solar-to-hydrogen’ solar cellson June 16, 2020 at 9:10 pm
ANU researchers claim major breakthrough in direct “solar-to-hydrogen” process that could dramatically reduce cost of renewable hydrogen.
- Researchers Solve Overheating Problem in Solar Materialon June 16, 2020 at 2:36 am
A team at Iowa State developed hybrid cells using perovskites and silicon that could withstand temperatures of nearly 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Printed perovskite LEDson June 12, 2020 at 7:51 am
Microelectronics utilize various functional materials whose properties make them suitable for specific applications. For example, transistors and data storage devices are made of silicon, and most ...
- Printed perovskite LEDson June 12, 2020 at 6:35 am
First solar cells from an inkjet printer ... The research group used a metal halide perovskite for this purpose. This is a material that promises particularly high efficiency in generating ...
- Guest Blog Manufacturingon June 11, 2020 at 5:00 pm
and founder of Valais Perovskite Solar S, explore the history and future of perovskite cells. PV is increasingly becoming the cheapest energy source and therefore has become the energy source with ...
via Bing News