The storage of energy for long periods of time is subject to special challenges. An IIASA researcher proposes using a combination of Mountain Gravity Energy Storage (MGES) and hydropower as a solution for this issue.
Batteries are https://www.innovationtoronto.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/MMSE.jpgrapidly becoming less expensive and might soon offer a cheap short-term solution to store energy for daily energy needs. However, the long-term storage capabilities of batteries, for example, in a yearly cycle, will not be economically viable. Although pumped-hydro storage (PHS) technologies are an economically feasible choice for long-term energy storage with large capacities – higher than 50 megawatts (MW) – it becomes expensive for locations where the demand for energy storage is often smaller than 20 MW with monthly or seasonal requirements, such as small islands and remote locations.
In a study published in the journal Energy, IIASA researcher Julian Hunt and his colleagues propose MGES to close the gap between existing short- and long-term storage technologies. MGES constitutes of building cranes on the edge of a steep mountain with enough reach to transport sand (or gravel) from a storage site located at the bottom to a storage site at the top. A motor/generator moves storage vessels filled with sand from the bottom to the top, similar to a ski lift. During this process, potential energy is stored. Electricity is generated by lowering sand from the upper storage site back to the bottom. If there are river streams on the mountain, the MGES system can be combined with hydropower, where the water would be used to fill the storage vessels in periods of high availability instead of the sand or gravel, thus generating energy. MGES systems have the benefit that the water could be added at any height of the system, thereby increasing the possibility of catching water from different heights in the mountain, which is not possible in conventional hydropower.
“One of the benefits of this system is that sand is cheap and, unlike water, it does not evaporate – so you never lose potential energy and it can be reused innumerable times. This makes it particularly interesting for dry regions,” notes Hunt. “Additionally, PHS plants are limited to a height difference of 1,200 meters, due to very high hydraulic pressures. MGES plants could have height differences of more than 5,000 meters. Regions with high mountains, for example, the Himalayas, Alps, and Rocky Mountains, could therefore become important long-term energy storage hubs. Other interesting locations for MGES are islands, such as Hawaii, Cape Verde, Madeira, and the Pacific Islands with steep mountainous terrain.”
In the paper, the authors propose a future energy matrix for the Molokai Island in Hawaii, using only wind, solar, batteries, and MGES to supply the island’s energy demand. Hunt emphasizes that the MGES technology should not be used for peak generation or storing energy in daily cycles – instead it fills a gap in the market for locations with long-term storage. MGES systems can, for instance, store energy continuously for months and then generate power continuously for months or when there is water available for hydropower, while batteries deal with the daily storage cycles.
“It is important to note that the MGES technology does not replace any current energy storage options but rather opens up new ways of storing energy and harnessing untapped hydropower potential in regions with high mountains,” Hunt concludes.
Learn more: Using mountains for long-term energy storage
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Mountain Gravity Energy Storage
The Latest Bing News on:
Mountain Gravity Energy Storage
- Construction begins on the world’s biggest liquid air batteryon June 23, 2020 at 11:47 am
Construction is beginning on the world’s largest liquid air battery, which will store renewable electricity and reduce carbon emissions from fossil-fuel power plants. The project near Manchester, U.K.
- Renewable energy: Construction starts on globe’s biggest liquid air batteryon June 23, 2020 at 8:57 am
Project will store spare green energy from the grid, reducing need for power from carbon-emitting fossil-fueled power plants.
- Climate emission killer: construction begins on world’s biggest liquid air batteryon June 18, 2020 at 12:45 am
Exclusive: project will store renewable energy and reduce climate-heating emissions ...
- Can You Store Renewable Energy In A Big Pile Of Gravel?on June 16, 2020 at 5:00 pm
When you consider the cost of these installations and their storage capacities, there is a gap between batteries and pumped hydro. A recently published whitepaper proposes Mountain Gravity Energy ...
- Audi e-Tron review: electric SUVs are the futureon June 4, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Instead, the area between the passenger and driver is full of storage space with cubby holes ... Braking uses both discs and energy-saving regen, seamlessly switching between the two depending ...
- Our expert guide to buying an electric bikeon June 4, 2020 at 8:38 am
Cycling remains the most energy-efficient mode of transport ... For off-road riding, mountain bikes are designed to take the strain out of climbs. Added suspension provides extra traction when ...
- The best hybrid cars for 2020on March 30, 2020 at 4:34 pm
Which hybrid car is right for you? We honed in on the best hybrid vehicle available, and present a few viable alternatives, from small hatchbacks to SUVs.
- The 10 Best Electric Bicycleson March 18, 2020 at 1:52 pm
An electric bicycle is a smart, energy-efficient and affordable alternative that ... This ANCHEER Adult Electric Mountain Bike doubles as both a sturdy mountain bike and a durable everyday electric ...
- Rick Perry expresses 'regret' for pledging to abolish Energy Department (w/ video)on January 19, 2017 at 11:05 am
"Perry knows the vital role that nuclear energy plays in America's diverse electricity portfolio," NEI spokesman John Keeley said in an email. "His familiarity with used nuclear fuel storage ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Steven Chu: Long-Term Energy Storage Solution Has Been Here All Alongon June 23, 2020 at 9:04 pm
The most efficient energy storage technology may be as close as the nearest hill, according to former Energy Secretary Steven Chu, and almost as old.
- Hengtong Successfully Connected Megawatt Energy Storage to the National Grid in Chinaon June 23, 2020 at 2:07 pm
An 8MWh energy storage project contracted by Jiangsu Hengtong Energy Storage Technology succeeded in reverse power transmission and was successfully connected to the grid on the first attempt.
- Easton Energy adds crude, NGL storage rights at Texas facilityon June 23, 2020 at 1:30 pm
U.S. pipeline and storage operator Easton Energy is planning to expand its natural gas liquids and olefins storage at existing salt caverns along the Texas Gulf Coast and add crude storage capability.
- Amazon pledges $2 billion venture capital fund to invest in clean energyon June 23, 2020 at 11:35 am
Amazon.com Inc said on Tuesday it will launch a $2 billion venture capital fund that will focus on technology investments to reduce the impact of climate change and support sustainable development.
- Clean energy storage firm nabs $10M Series B, hiringon June 23, 2020 at 11:18 am
A Houston-based clean energy company focused on hydroelectric energy storage has raised a $10 million Series B round. Quidnet Energy's investment round saw participation from existing investors Evok ...
- Global Energy Storage Battery for Microgrids Market Hit US$ 556.1 Million by 2029; Driven by Rising Demand for Grid-Connected Solutions - PMIon June 23, 2020 at 7:32 am
The global energy storage battery for microgrids market accounted for US$ 208.9 Million in 2019 and is estimated to be US$ 556.1 Million by 2029.
- Quidnet Energy Gears Up for Commercial Deployment of Long Duration Energy Storageon June 23, 2020 at 6:33 am
Quidnet Energy today announced the closing of its $10 million Series B financing and the execution of a contract with the New York State Energy Development Authority (NYSERDA) for commercial ...
- CS Energy Announces Completion of the Largest Landfill Solar-Plus-Storage Project in Massachusettson June 23, 2020 at 5:48 am
This project was one of the first solar plus energy storage projects to participate in the Solar Massachusetts Renewable Target (SMART) Program. "CS Energy has a significant market share in the ...
- One More Hengtong Megawatt Energy Storage Project Connected to the Gridon June 23, 2020 at 2:47 am
An 8MWh energy storage project contracted by Jiangsu Hengtong Energy Storage Technology Co., Ltd. succeeded in reverse power transmission ...
- Why we must act faster on cleaner energyon June 23, 2020 at 12:27 am
The COVID-19 pandemic gives the UK the perfect opportunity to lead on climate change, and cleaner energy must be on the agenda.