MU scientists take a new look at the importance of keeping your eyes on the road
With the recent advances in vehicle-assisted safety technology and in-car displays, this old adage has a new meaning, thanks to two new applications of eye-tracking technology developed by researchers at the University of Missouri.
Designing a better collision avoidance warning
Observing how someone’s eyes change — specifically the pupil — while they respond to an alert given by a vehicle collision avoidance warning could one day help scientists design safer systems.
“Prior to a crash, drivers can be easily distracted by an alert from a collision avoidance warning — a popular feature in new vehicles — and we feel this could be a growing problem in distraction-related vehicle crashes,” said Jung Hyup Kim, an assistant professor of industrial and manufacturing systems engineering in the MU College of Engineering. “Therefore, a two-way communication channel needs to exist between a driver and a vehicle. For instance, if a driver is aware of a possible crash, then the vehicle does not have to warn the driver as much. However, if a vehicle provides an alert that, by itself, creates a distraction, it could also cause a crash.”
Kim and Xiaonan Yang, a graduate student at MU, watched how people’s pupils changed in response to their physical reactions to a collision avoidance warning by a vehicle-assisted safety system. Researchers believe they have enough data to begin the next step of developing a two-way communication model.
Evaluating rear-end accidents from a driver’s perspective
A person’s pupil could also help scientists find a way to decrease distracted driving crashes through a first-hand perspective into a driver’s behavior, according to Kim and Rui Tang, a graduate student at MU. Using a driving simulator at the MU College of Engineering, the researchers evaluated a driver’s physical behavior in real-time by focusing on the driver’s eyes as the crash happened.
“We saw the size of a person’s pupil changed depending on the behavioral response to the severity of the accident,” Kim said. “Now, we want to take that data, find common patterns and build a model to test how we could help decrease distracted-driving crashes.”
The conference papers, “Evaluating rear-end vehicle accident using pupillary analysis in a driving similar environment,” and “Pupillary response and EMG predict upcoming responses to collision avoidance warning,” were presented at the 2019 International Conference on Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics in Washington, D.C.
The Latest on: Eye-tracking technology
via Google News
The Latest on: Eye-tracking technology
- Plastic Surgeons Use Eye-Tracking Technology to Build a Better Breaston January 17, 2020 at 11:32 am
What makes the female breast attractive? The answer is subjective, of course. But studies using eye-tracking technology are providing a more objective basis for determining which breast areas are most ...
- Packers' TitletownTech VC fund leads $8M round for concussion diagnosis startupon January 17, 2020 at 6:09 am
Led by the Green Bay Packers and Microsoft, TitletownTech in Green Bay operates an innovation lab, venture studio and $25 million VC fund.
- UB researcher employs eye-tracking technology to detect neurological disorderson January 16, 2020 at 6:28 am
Exergaming may be beneficial for people in the transition stage between normal aging and dementia, called mild cognitive impairment. The project uses eye-tracking technology to detect mild cognitive ...
- Global Eye Tracking Market Expected to Generate USD 1, 786 Million by 2025 with a CAGR of 26.1% - ResearchAndMarkets.comon January 14, 2020 at 4:57 am
Rising adoption of eye tracking technology for personalized advertisements and consumer research and surging demand for eye tracking-based assistive communication devices drive market growth The ...
- The eye tracking market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 26.1% from 2020 to 2025, to reach USD 1,786 million by 2025 from USD 560 million in 2020on January 14, 2020 at 12:00 am
New York, Jan. 14, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Reportlinker.com announces the release of the report "Eye Tracking Market by Offering, Tracking Type, Application, Vertical And Geography - Global Forecast ...
- Eye Tracking Market Study, 2020-2025: Market Dynamics, Value Chain Analysis, Use Cases, Competitive Landscape, Key Player Profilingson January 13, 2020 at 6:45 am
/PRNewswire/ -- The "Eye Tracking Market by Offering (Hardware, Software, and Services), Tracking Type (Remote and Mobile), Application ...
- Global $1.78B Eye Tracking Market Outlook, 2020-2025 - Penetration of Eye Tracking Technology in AR/VR Devices Presents Lucrative Growth Opportunitieson January 13, 2020 at 5:14 am
Dublin, Jan. 13, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The "Eye Tracking Market by Offering (Hardware, Software, and Services), Tracking Type (Remote and Mobile), Application ...
- Eye Tracking Market 2020 Industry Outlook, Comprehensive Insights, Growth and Forecast 2025 – Market Research Engineon January 9, 2020 at 10:50 pm
New York, January 10, 2020: The report covers detailed competitive outlook including the market share and company profiles of the key participants operating in the global market. Key players profiled ...
- Tobii Brings Eye Tracking to VR Headsets for Faster Frame Rateson January 9, 2020 at 11:02 am
It's done through tech Tobii is calling foveated rendering. It leverages an eye tracking sensor in the headset, which allows graphics quality outside of the wearer's angle of view to be rendered at ...
- Ganzin Technology's Eye Tracking Module Combines the Virtual and Real World, Replacing the Hand-operated User Interfaceon January 6, 2020 at 11:03 am
LAS VEGAS, Jan. 6, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Ganzin Technology and other notable homegrown startups led by Taiwan Tech Arena (TTA) are now showcasing their innovative solutions at CES 2020. There is always ...
via Bing News