A research team in Ehime University prepared a new type of synthetic polymer, which can be degraded into a combination of well-defined low molecular weight compounds under very mild acidic conditions. The new polymer, poly(?-keto enol ether), has great potential to be utilized as an environmentally friendly material in the near future.
The research team, led by E. Ihara and H. Shimomoto, has been utilizing unique reactivities of a diazocarbonyl group for polymer synthesis where they have succeeded in preparing a variety of polymers with unprecedented chemical structures by the polymerization of some bis(diazocarbonyl) compounds bearing two diazocarbonyl groups in one molecule. Now they have found that three-component polymerization of an appropriated combination of a bis(diazocarbonyl) compound, bis(1,3-diketone), and tetrahydrofuran (THF) as monomers yields a new type of polymer structure containing the ?-keto enol ether framework in the main chain, which has been known to be readily cleaved with a small amount of acid.
The polymerization catalyzed by a Rh catalyst proceeded as they expected, affording poly(?-keto enol ether) with a molecular weight higher than 10000. More importantly, the polymer was found to be cleanly degraded into a combination of two low molecular weight compounds in high yield under mild acidic conditions; one of the degraded products was the monomer itself, bis(1,3-diketone) (indicating recyclability of the monomer), and the other one was a dihydroxy compound derived from the bis (diazocarbonyl) compound and THF used as other monomers.
The acid-sensitivity of the ?-keto enol ether framework of the polymer was so high that the degradation proceeded even in a chloroform solution because the solvent usually contains a very small amount of acid spontaneously generated from the solvent molecule under an ambient condition. On the other hand, in other solvents without an acidic trace, such as dimethylsulfoxide, the polymer did not degrade at all, demonstrating the extremely high sensitivity of the polymer structure to an acidic stimulus.
The highly acid-sensitive degradability can be useful for some important applications. For example, a drug-encapsulating material made of the polymer would release the incorporated active component by rapidly responding to a mild acidic environment. In addition, materials made of the polymer can be easily degraded to the above-described low molecular weight compounds, including one of the monomers, after they are used in neutral conditions. Synthetic polymers with such degradability are especially desired because of the serious environmental damage caused by non-degradable synthetic polymeric materials.
The Latest on: New degradable polymer
via Google News
The Latest on: New degradable polymer
- Drag Reducing Agents Market Poised to Register 6.0% CAGR through 2029 | Future Market Insightson March 20, 2020 at 6:44 am
VALLEY COTTAGE, N.Y. - A new market research report by Future Market Insights on the drag reducing agent marketincludes global industry analysis 2014 - 2018 and opportunity assessment 2019 - 2029. The ...
- Global Thermoformed Plastics Market Trends & Share Estimation Report by 2027on March 13, 2020 at 3:04 am
Zion Market Research a leading market research company recently published a research report on Thermoformed Plastics Market by Product Acrylics Bio Degradable Polymers Polycarbonates Acrylonitrile ...
- Revenue of Ankle Syndesmosis Treatment Devices...on March 6, 2020 at 4:10 am
The global market for ankle syndesmosis treatment devices will grow at 7.8% CAGR during 2019-2029. Technological advancements along with the adoption of new implant materials are transforming the ...
- Light-degradable hydrogels as dynamic triggers for gastrointestinal applicationson March 3, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Moreover, the oNB linker can be mixed in different proportions with acrylated linkers that are not responsive to light, rendering tunability of degradation from partial to complete dissolution of the ...
- Thermoformed Plastics Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Product, By Process, By Application, By Region And Segment Forecasts, 2020 - 2027on February 27, 2020 at 1:12 am
New York, Feb. 27, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Reportlinker.com announces the release of the report "Thermoformed Plastics Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Product, By Process, By ...
- Methane-fueled Commerical Production of Biodegradable Plastics in Sighton February 20, 2020 at 12:25 pm
Plastics, the petroleum-based, very poorly degradable polymers, make up almost everything in our society from water bottles, food packing, disposable utensils to medical supplies, automobile parts, ...
- Finisterre uses garment bags made from Aquapak polymeron October 13, 2019 at 9:13 pm
Finisterre is the first fashion brand to use garment bags made from Aquapak polymer. The new packaging has already ... to eradicate single-use, non-degradable plastic in 2018.
- Research II. Reductively-degradable nanomaterialson May 19, 2019 at 11:19 pm
Stimuli-responsive degradation (SRD) or cleavage of dynamic covalent bonds in response to external stimuli is a promising platform for the development of polymer-based multifunctional ... variety of ...
- Polymers and Plastic Resins - Design Trendson March 16, 2018 at 5:50 am
2. Nano technology to enhance end product properties eg. nano particle flame retardants to reduce the percentage of flame retardants in the polymer formulations. 3. Bio-degradable plastics for food ...
via Bing News