Lab’s ‘green’ invention reduces carbon dioxide into valuable fuels
A common greenhouse gas could be repurposed in an efficient and environmentally friendly way with an electrolyzer that uses renewable electricity to produce pure liquid fuels.
The catalytic reactor developed by the Rice University lab of chemical and biomolecular engineer Haotian Wang uses carbon dioxide as its feedstock and, in its latest prototype, produces highly purified and high concentrations of formic acid.
Formic acid produced by traditional carbon dioxide devices needs costly and energy-intensive purification steps, Wang said. The direct production of pure formic acid solutions will help to promote commercial carbon dioxide conversion technologies.
The method is detailed in Nature Energy.
Wang, who joined Rice’s Brown School of Engineering in January, and his group pursue technologies that turn greenhouse gases into useful products. In tests, the new electrocatalyst reached an energy conversion efficiency of about 42%. That means nearly half of the electrical energy can be stored in formic acid as liquid fuel.
“Formic acid is an energy carrier,” Wang said. “It’s a fuel-cell fuel that can generate electricity and emit carbon dioxide — which you can grab and recycle again.
“It’s also fundamental in the chemical engineering industry as a feedstock for other chemicals, and a storage material for hydrogen that can hold nearly 1,000 times the energy of the same volume of hydrogen gas, which is difficult to compress,” he said. “That’s currently a big challenge for hydrogen fuel-cell cars.”
The Latest on: CO2 to fuel
via Google News
The Latest on: CO2 to fuel
- A trillion trees not enough to fix climate crisis, critics sayon February 27, 2020 at 9:17 am
he'd work on a bill to slash fossil fuel emissions by half over the next 10 years and protect our forests." At least one Republican pushed back on the tree bill, saying there's not enough federal land ...
- New method converts carbon dioxide to methane at low temperatureson February 27, 2020 at 7:24 am
The conversion of carbon dioxide to valuable chemicals such as methane has drawn great attention for use in supporting carbon capture and utilization. Especially, methane can be used not only as fuel ...
- Aircraft Fuel Systems Market 2020-2026 Outlook | Development Factors, Latest Opportunities and Forecaston February 27, 2020 at 5:08 am
Global Aircraft Fuel Systems Market Share, Size, Trends, Industry Analysis Report By Aircraft Type (Commercial, Military, UAV), By Technology Type (Pump Feed, Fuel Injection, Gravity Feed), By ...
- Fossil fuel industry releasing more methane into atmosphere than initially thought, OSU study findson February 27, 2020 at 4:15 am
Their research found that the fossil fuel industry emits up to 40% more methane than previously thought. Since methane lasts only about nine years in our atmosphere in comparison to the thousands of ...
- How To Leverage $10 Billion To Reduce Carbon Emissionson February 27, 2020 at 4:04 am
Jeff Bezos recently announced a $10 billion commitment toward fighting climate change. Here's how I would use that money to address ongoing carbon dioxide emissions.
- Fuel Cell Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Raw Material, By Product, By Application And Segment Forecasts, 2020 - 2027on February 27, 2020 at 3:27 am
Rising demand for combined heat and power systems in is projected to drive the demand for fuel cell in the region. Power-based electricity generation is effective in minimizing emission of carbon ...
- Better Late Than Never? Big Companies Scramble To Make Lofty Climate Promiseson February 27, 2020 at 2:45 am
Jet-fuel-guzzling Delta Airlines and fossil-fuel-pumping BP are vowing to go carbon neutral. Microsoft and Ikea, behemoths of tech and furniture, have pledged to go farther and actively reduce the ...
- Kudos to Kaua‘i lawmakers for plastics banon February 27, 2020 at 2:05 am
When the ocean temperature raises a few degrees, coral bleaches or dies. It is caused by global warming from excess carbon dioxide in the atmosphere from fossil-fuel burning. NOAA Climate.gov reported ...
- $33+ Billion Fuel Cell Market Insights, 2020-2027 by Raw Material, Product, Application and Regionon February 27, 2020 at 12:48 am
Dublin, Feb. 27, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The "Fuel Cell Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report by Raw Material, by Product (PEMFC, PEFC, SOFC, MCFC), by Application (Stationary, Transportation, ...
- NYK Focuses on Ammonia as Marine Fuelon February 26, 2020 at 8:43 pm
Japan-based shipping giant NYK has presented its concept for using ammonia as a marine fuel or zero-emission ships as part of the industry’s decarbonization drive. Ammonia does not emit carbon dioxide ...
via Bing News