A unique new flexible and stretchable device, worn against the skin and capable of producing electrical energy by transforming the compounds present in sweat, was recently developed and patented by CNRS researchers from l’Université Grenoble Alpes and UC San Diego (USA). This cell is already capable of continuously lighting an LED, opening new avenues for the development of wearable electronics powered by autonomous and environmentally friendly biodevices.
This research was published in Advanced Functional Materials on September 25, 2019.
The potential uses for wearable electronic devices continue to increase, especially for medical and athletic monitoring. Such devices require the development of a reliable and efficient energy source that can easily be integrated into the human body. Using “biofuels” present in human organic liquids has long been a promising avenue.
Scientists from the Département de chimie moléculaire (CNRS/Université Grenoble Alpes), who specialize in bioelectrochemistry, decided to collaborate with an American team from UC San Diego, who are experts in nanomachines, biosensors, and nanobioelectronics. Together they developed a flexible conductive material consisting of carbon nanotubes, crosslinked polymers, and enzymes joined by stretchable connectors that are directly printed onto the material through screen-printing1.
The biofuel cell, which follows deformations in the skin, produces electrical energy through the reduction of oxygen and the oxidation of the lactate present in perspiration.
Once applied to the arm, it uses a voltage booster to continuously power an LED. It is relatively simple and inexpensive to produce, with the primary cost being the production of the enzymes that transform the compounds found in sweat. The researchers are now seeking to amplify the voltage provided by the biofuel cell in order to power larger portable devices.
The Latest on: Biofuel cell
via Google News
The Latest on: Biofuel cell
- INmune Bio Inc. (INMB) CEO RJ Tesi on Q2 2020 Results - Earnings Call Transcripton August 9, 2020 at 7:30 am
Q2 2020 Earnings Conference Call August 5, 2020 16:30 ET Company Participants RJ Tesi - Co-Founder & Chief Executive Officer David Moss - Co-Founder & Chief Financial Officer Conference Call ...
- Provention Bio, Inc. (PRVB) CEO Ashleigh Palmer on Q2 2020 Results - Earnings Call Transcripton August 9, 2020 at 12:38 am
Q2 2020 Earnings Conference Call August 06, 2020, 08:00 ET Company Participants Andrew Drechsler - CFO Ashleigh Palmer - Co-Founder, President, CEO & Director Jason Hoitt - Chief Commercial Officer ...
- Provention Bio, Inc (PRVB) Q2 2020 Earnings Call Transcripton August 7, 2020 at 2:40 pm
Good day, ladies and gentlemen and welcome to your Provention Bio's Second Quarter 2020 Earnings Conference Call. [Operator Instructions] At this time, it is my pleasure to turn the floor over to Mr.
- Structural and Mechanistic Regulation of SARM1’s Transition from Autoinhibited to Neurotoxic State Published in CELL REPORTSon August 7, 2020 at 4:00 am
Nura Bio Inc., a biopharma company created to discover and develop life-changing neuroprotective drugs, today announced the publication of “Structural ...
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market Insights By Size, Share, Future Growth And Forecast From 2020-2029on August 6, 2020 at 5:29 pm
The research study on Global Cell Therapy Manufacturing market 2019 presents an extensive analysis of current Cell ...
- In the face of COVID-19, cell and gene therapy space shows ‘remarkable resilience:’ reporton August 6, 2020 at 6:00 am
In the early days of COVID-19, the Alliance for Regenerative Medicine was unsure how the pandemic and its accompanying economic downturn would affect the cell and gene therapy space. Now, the numbers ...
- Cabaletta Bio Reports Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business Updateon August 6, 2020 at 4:48 am
Cabaletta Bio, Inc. (Nasdaq: CABA), a clinical-stage biotechnology company focused on the discovery and development of engineered T cell therapies for patients with B cell-mediated autoimmune diseases ...
- bluebird bio Reports Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Recent Operational Progresson August 5, 2020 at 1:10 pm
Inc. (NASDAQ: BLUE) today reported financial results and business highlights for the second quarter ended June 30, 2020 and shared recen ...
- Generation Bio to Present at 2020 Wedbush PacGrow Healthcare Virtual Conferenceon August 5, 2020 at 3:38 am
(GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Generation Bio Co. (Nasdaq: GBIO), an innovative genetic medicines company creating a new class of non-viral gene therapy, today announced that management will present at the 2020 ...
- CN Bio Makes Key Senior Appointments to Support International Commercial Developmenton August 5, 2020 at 2:24 am
Appointments include James Craven as Chief Commercial Officer and Brian Manning as US Head of Sales CN Bio, a leading cell culture company that has developed single and multi-organ microphysiological ...
via Bing News