A pedestrian bridge designed by Deakin University researchers for a North Geelong park will use a new type of reinforced concrete that doesn’t need any maintenance.
The bridge over Cowies Creek at Deppeler Park will be made from sustainable concrete with carbon and glass fibre reinforcement that should ensure the bridge requires no maintenance over its 100 year life-span.
Deakin researchers Dr Mahbube Subhani and Dr Kazem Ghabraie designed the bridge for North-Geelong based engineering firm Austeng when Austeng won a tender to build two pedestrian bridges from the City of Greater Geelong (COGG).
Dr Subhani said the new design would avoid the usual problem of corrosion that occurs in conventional steel reinforced concrete construction.
“We have replaced the steel reinforcing bar normally used in steel reinforced concrete with more durable carbon and glass fibre reinforced polymer,” Dr Subhani said.
“Structures made with steel reinforced concrete require maintenance about every five years and major maintenance or rehabilitation every 20 years.
“This bridge should not require any maintenance for the whole of its design life,” Dr Subhani said.
Carbon and glass fibre reinforced polymer is stronger than steel and five times lighter than reinforced steel.
It also needs much less energy to make – just 25 per cent of the energy required to produce steel.
“The geopolymer concrete used in the bridge construction is also environmentally sustainable,” Dr Subhani said.
“Instead of cement, the concrete has been made using fly ash, a by-product of coal combustion.
“Cement is responsible for seven per cent of the world’s total CO2 emissions so this structural element has the potential to cut down the maintenance cost as well as reduce CO2 emissions.”
The beam was cast by geopolymer concrete manufacturer, Rocla, and pre-testing has already shown the bridge can successfully carry the design load.
COGG maintains about 160 recreational bridges and that number is growing through subdivision development.
Dr Subhani and his design team hope that their environmentally sustainable maintenance-free bridge is a potential candidate for new and replacement bridges throughout the city.
The Latest on: Sustainable concrete
via Google News
The Latest on: Sustainable concrete
- How future architecture, technology could help achieve a more sustainable SAon June 24, 2020 at 1:12 am
Covid-19 has forced society to embrace remote working, and to be successful in this, technologies affiliated with the fourth industrial revolution have been used ...
- Decorative Concrete Market Size, Share, Demand and Clinical Analysis 2020 to 20268on June 23, 2020 at 2:06 pm
Global Decorative Concrete Market to Grow due to Rising Shift towards Green Building The decorative concrete market is anticipated to grow, owing to the increase in acceptance of sustainable and green ...
- ‘Buildings are not just an excuse to pour concrete’: how women are transforming the construction industryon June 23, 2020 at 3:37 am
From reducing carbon emissions to taking in wider goals such as social justice and poverty alleviation, women are taking a lead role in changing the way we build ...
- After COVID-19: Building back better for sustainable forestson June 22, 2020 at 10:19 am
As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to spread around the globe, forests and forest communities are feeling the pressure. Forests are already a source of food, income, fuel and shelter for hundreds of ...
- As construction tries to go green, builders and businesses are developing 'low carbon concrete'on June 22, 2020 at 8:41 am
Earlier this month Boral – an Australian firm that specializes in building and construction materials – announced the launch of a five-year partnership with the University of Technology Sydney (UTS).
- Global Construction Chemicals Market Assessment 2019-2025 - High Demand for Concrete Admixtures, Focus on Use of Sustainable Raw Materialson June 19, 2020 at 8:30 am
The "Global Construction Chemicals Market (By Products - Concrete Admixture, Surface Treatment, Repair & Rehabilitation and Protective ...
- Veja Launches New Sustainable Laboratory for Repairing & Recycling Its Eco-Friendly Kickson June 18, 2020 at 5:48 am
Following news of Gucci’s new circular initiative and Kering’s appointing Emma Watson as chair of its sustainability committee, responsible sneaker label Veja is reasserting its own eco-friendly ...
- Purdue Researcher Developing Intelligent Concreteon June 17, 2020 at 10:14 am
sustainable and resilient.” More than one-third of U.S. bridges need repair work, according to a 2020 report by the American Road and Transportation Builders Association. Getting a better idea of when ...
- Sustainable Investment And The Race to Zero Emissions During The Covid-19 Pandemicon June 16, 2020 at 3:16 am
Leaders internationally are calling for a green and equal economic recovery as the world rebuilds from the coronavirus pandemic. Will governments, companies, investors and funds align to drive the ...
- Gucci Launches Off the Grid Sustainable Collectionon June 15, 2020 at 9:08 pm
A new ad campaign to present the collection is fronted by Jane Fonda; Miyavi; David de Rothschild; Lil Nas X, and King Princess.
via Bing News