The world’s top 10 crops — barley, cassava, maize, oil palm, rapeseed, rice, sorghum, soybean, sugarcane and wheat — supply a combined 83 percent of all calories produced on cropland. Yields have long been projected to decrease in future climate conditions. Now, new research shows climate change has already affected production of these key energy sources — and some regions and countries are faring far worse than others.
Published in PLOS ONE, the University of Minnesota-led study, conducted with researchers from the University of Oxford and the University of Copenhagen, used weather and reported crop data to evaluate the potential impact of observed climate change. The researchers found that:
- observed climate change causes a significant yield variation in the world’s top 10 crops, ranging from a decrease of 13.4 percent for oil palm to an increase of 3.5 percent for soybean, and resulting in an average reduction of approximately one percent (-3.5 X 10e13 kcal/year) of consumable food calories from these top 10 crops;
- impacts of climate change on global food production are mostly negative in Europe, Southern Africa, and Australia, generally positive in Latin America, and mixed in Asia and Northern and Central America;
- half of all food-insecure countries are experiencing decreases in crop production — and so are some affluent industrialized countries in Western Europe;
- contrastingly, recent climate change has increased the yields of certain crops in some areas of the upper Midwest United States.
“There are winners and losers, and some countries that are already food insecure fare worse,” says lead author Deepak Ray of the University of Minnesota’s Institute on the Environment, whose high-resolution global crop statistics databases have also been used to help to identify how global crop production changes over time. These findings indicate which geographical areas and crops are most at risk, making them relevant to those working to achieve the U.N. Sustainable Development Goals of ending hunger and limiting the effects of climate change. Insights like these lead to new questions and crucial next steps.
“This is a very complex system, so a careful statistical and data science modeling component is crucial to understand the dependencies and cascading effects of small or large changes,” says co-author Snigdhansu Chatterjee of the University of Minnesota’s School of Statistics.
The Institute’s Global Landscapes Initiative, whose contributors to this study included Ray, Paul West and James Gerber, has previously produced global scale findings that have been put to use by international organizations such as the U.N., World Bank and Brookings in evaluation of global food security and environmental challenges. The scholars say this report has implications for major food companies, commodity traders and the countries in which they operate, as well as for citizens worldwide.
“The research documents how change is already happening, not just in some future time,” says Ray.
The Latest on: Global food production
via Google News
The Latest on: Global food production
- $7+ Bn Coding and Marking Market - Global Outlook and Forecast 2019-2024on July 17, 2019 at 7:36 am
Increased automation in the production process, and the influx of several vendors across geographies. Stringent regulations and standards for food, medicine, and packaging are driving the coding ... […]
- Food Grade Glue Market Highlighting Regional Revenue Share Dominance During 2018-2028on July 17, 2019 at 7:35 am
Food grade glues are ideal for kitchen goods, packaging applications, production line equipment and for bonding ... which is expected to contribute to the growth of the global food grade glue market ... […]
- Global Five Gallon Plastic Pails Market Insights, Substantial Growth, Rising Preferences, Boost Growth and Forecast to 2025on July 17, 2019 at 7:10 am
type=S&repid=2437831 Five Gallon Plastic Pails come available in 70mil or 90mil thick in either regrind resin (black) or FDA approved virgin resin (Five Gallon Food Grade Plastic Pails). Global Five . ... […]
- NDSU’s Hellevang receives Global Food Security Awardon July 17, 2019 at 5:40 am
2019 Sukup Global Food Security Award. This award is one of the ASABE’s top honors. It recognizes exemplary work in the enhancement of food security by innovative engineering or the application of ... […]
- Global Gluten Free Food Investigation and Growth Forecasted Until the End of 2021on July 17, 2019 at 4:58 am
Gluten free food manufacturers should not only restrict their production to bakery ... MRRSE partners exclusively with leading global publishers to provide clients single-point access to ... […]
- Food & Hotel Indonesia 2019: Underpins New Market Benchmark for Indonesia's Culinary and Hospitalityon July 16, 2019 at 9:51 pm
"We ensure that all the food production processes are meeting the ... to speak such as Indonesian halal products towards global market trendsetters presented by Masyarakat Standardisasi (MASTAN ... […]
- Global Commercial Refrigeration Equipment Market (2019-2025): Increase in Investments in the Food & Beverage Industry is the Key Driveron July 16, 2019 at 9:45 am
The Global Commercial Refrigeration Equipment ... Food & Beverage Retail, Food & Beverage Production and Others. The commercial refrigeration equipment market is growing because of an increase ... […]
- Maggots could revolutionize the global food supply. Here's how.on July 16, 2019 at 12:10 am
Such yields, combined with the need to find cheap, reliable protein for a global population projected to jump ... Researchers had to calculate the right combination of food and moisture (cricket ... […]
- The Global Food Enzymes Market size is expected to reach $2.6 billion by 2025, rising at a market growth of 5.3% CAGR during the forecast periodon July 15, 2019 at 5:08 pm
NEW YORK, July 15, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- The Global Food Enzymes Market size ... Enzymes have been used in food production, like dough making. This is obtained by removal from plants or animals ... […]
- Global Sports Nutrition Market Review & Forecast 2015-2025: Focus on Food, Drinks, and Supplementson July 15, 2019 at 6:29 am
The in-depth analysis of the report provides the growth potential, upcoming trends and statistics of global sports nutrition market size & forecast. The report promises to provide state-of-the-art ... […]
via Bing News