The world’s top 10 crops — barley, cassava, maize, oil palm, rapeseed, rice, sorghum, soybean, sugarcane and wheat — supply a combined 83 percent of all calories produced on cropland. Yields have long been projected to decrease in future climate conditions. Now, new research shows climate change has already affected production of these key energy sources — and some regions and countries are faring far worse than others.
Published in PLOS ONE, the University of Minnesota-led study, conducted with researchers from the University of Oxford and the University of Copenhagen, used weather and reported crop data to evaluate the potential impact of observed climate change. The researchers found that:
- observed climate change causes a significant yield variation in the world’s top 10 crops, ranging from a decrease of 13.4 percent for oil palm to an increase of 3.5 percent for soybean, and resulting in an average reduction of approximately one percent (-3.5 X 10e13 kcal/year) of consumable food calories from these top 10 crops;
- impacts of climate change on global food production are mostly negative in Europe, Southern Africa, and Australia, generally positive in Latin America, and mixed in Asia and Northern and Central America;
- half of all food-insecure countries are experiencing decreases in crop production — and so are some affluent industrialized countries in Western Europe;
- contrastingly, recent climate change has increased the yields of certain crops in some areas of the upper Midwest United States.
“There are winners and losers, and some countries that are already food insecure fare worse,” says lead author Deepak Ray of the University of Minnesota’s Institute on the Environment, whose high-resolution global crop statistics databases have also been used to help to identify how global crop production changes over time. These findings indicate which geographical areas and crops are most at risk, making them relevant to those working to achieve the U.N. Sustainable Development Goals of ending hunger and limiting the effects of climate change. Insights like these lead to new questions and crucial next steps.
“This is a very complex system, so a careful statistical and data science modeling component is crucial to understand the dependencies and cascading effects of small or large changes,” says co-author Snigdhansu Chatterjee of the University of Minnesota’s School of Statistics.
The Institute’s Global Landscapes Initiative, whose contributors to this study included Ray, Paul West and James Gerber, has previously produced global scale findings that have been put to use by international organizations such as the U.N., World Bank and Brookings in evaluation of global food security and environmental challenges. The scholars say this report has implications for major food companies, commodity traders and the countries in which they operate, as well as for citizens worldwide.
“The research documents how change is already happening, not just in some future time,” says Ray.
The Latest on: Global food production
via Google News
The Latest on: Global food production
- The 10 Biggest Food Stockson July 20, 2019 at 1:11 pm
Sysco is a global distributor of food. If you buy meat, canned or frozen products, poultry, dairy, or produce at a retail location -- there's a good chance it got there on a Sysco truck. The key moat ... […]
- Key technologies identified to boost food production by 2050on July 19, 2019 at 9:12 pm
The report opens by setting out the global problem statement as things stand today ... would go a major way to increasing food production and helping to control climate pollution. These technologies ... […]
- David Chang Embarks on a Global Food Crawl With Netflix’s ‘Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner’on July 19, 2019 at 8:33 am
One unscripted agent notes that there have been “millions” of passed pitches of Bourdain knockoffs since his death, and several sources mention one high-profile food personality ... staff member is ... […]
- Global Commercial Refrigeration Equipment Market (2019-2025): Increase in Investments in the Food & Beverage Industry is the Key Driveron July 16, 2019 at 9:45 am
The Global Commercial Refrigeration Equipment ... Food & Beverage Retail, Food & Beverage Production and Others. The commercial refrigeration equipment market is growing because of an increase ... […]
- The Global Food Enzymes Market size is expected to reach $2.6 billion by 2025, rising at a market growth of 5.3% CAGR during the forecast periodon July 15, 2019 at 5:08 pm
NEW YORK, July 15, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- The Global Food Enzymes Market size ... Enzymes have been used in food production, like dough making. This is obtained by removal from plants or animals ... […]
- The Global organic baby food market key Vendors, Trends, Analysis, Segmentation, Forecast to 2018-2023on July 14, 2019 at 10:59 pm
Jul 15, 2019 (AmericaNewsHour) -- The Global organic baby food market has witnessed continued demand during ... Due to easier raw material and efficiency in production along with health benefits ... […]
- Global Food Enzymes Market Outlook to 2025: A $2.6 Billion Opportunity - ResearchAndMarkets.comon July 12, 2019 at 7:00 am
The Global Food Enzymes Market size is expected to reach $ ... and play an important role in muscle contraction. Enzymes have been used in food production, like dough making. This is obtained by ... […]
- Enriched Food Market Size 2019, Global Trends, Industry Share, Growth Drivers, Business Opportunities and Demand Forecast to 2025on July 12, 2019 at 3:08 am
Enquire before purchasing this report - https://www.researchreportsworld.com/enquiry/pre-order-enquiry/14435566 Global Enriched Food market competition by top manufacturers, with production, price, ... […]
- Global farming trends threaten food securityon July 11, 2019 at 9:17 am
"Soy production has risen by around 30 percent per decade ... Martin-Luther-Universität Halle-Wittenberg. "Global farming trends threaten food security." ScienceDaily. ScienceDaily, 11 July 2019. […]
- Global Food Services Market Top Vendors, Price, Sales, Revenue, Demand and Opportunity by the end of 2025on July 11, 2019 at 8:25 am
This report studies the global market size of Food Services, especially focuses on the key regions ... this report investigates and analyzes the production, value, price, market share and growth rate ... […]
via Bing News