The world’s top 10 crops — barley, cassava, maize, oil palm, rapeseed, rice, sorghum, soybean, sugarcane and wheat — supply a combined 83 percent of all calories produced on cropland. Yields have long been projected to decrease in future climate conditions. Now, new research shows climate change has already affected production of these key energy sources — and some regions and countries are faring far worse than others.
Published in PLOS ONE, the University of Minnesota-led study, conducted with researchers from the University of Oxford and the University of Copenhagen, used weather and reported crop data to evaluate the potential impact of observed climate change. The researchers found that:
- observed climate change causes a significant yield variation in the world’s top 10 crops, ranging from a decrease of 13.4 percent for oil palm to an increase of 3.5 percent for soybean, and resulting in an average reduction of approximately one percent (-3.5 X 10e13 kcal/year) of consumable food calories from these top 10 crops;
- impacts of climate change on global food production are mostly negative in Europe, Southern Africa, and Australia, generally positive in Latin America, and mixed in Asia and Northern and Central America;
- half of all food-insecure countries are experiencing decreases in crop production — and so are some affluent industrialized countries in Western Europe;
- contrastingly, recent climate change has increased the yields of certain crops in some areas of the upper Midwest United States.
“There are winners and losers, and some countries that are already food insecure fare worse,” says lead author Deepak Ray of the University of Minnesota’s Institute on the Environment, whose high-resolution global crop statistics databases have also been used to help to identify how global crop production changes over time. These findings indicate which geographical areas and crops are most at risk, making them relevant to those working to achieve the U.N. Sustainable Development Goals of ending hunger and limiting the effects of climate change. Insights like these lead to new questions and crucial next steps.
“This is a very complex system, so a careful statistical and data science modeling component is crucial to understand the dependencies and cascading effects of small or large changes,” says co-author Snigdhansu Chatterjee of the University of Minnesota’s School of Statistics.
The Institute’s Global Landscapes Initiative, whose contributors to this study included Ray, Paul West and James Gerber, has previously produced global scale findings that have been put to use by international organizations such as the U.N., World Bank and Brookings in evaluation of global food security and environmental challenges. The scholars say this report has implications for major food companies, commodity traders and the countries in which they operate, as well as for citizens worldwide.
“The research documents how change is already happening, not just in some future time,” says Ray.
The Latest on: Global food production
via Google News
The Latest on: Global food production
- Not all meat is created equal: How diet changes can sustain world's food productionon September 6, 2019 at 10:38 am
If reserves run low, food production will be constrained and starvation ... a model to describe how phosphorus flows through the global food system. The model, reported in the Sept.
- Formulation Additives Market 2019 Global Analysis, Opportunities And Forecast To 2024on September 6, 2019 at 7:51 am
Formulation Additives can be used for Construction,Transportation,Industrial and Oil & Gas Food & ... capacity, production, ex-factory price, revenue and market share in global market. The ...
- Global MS Resin (SMMA) Market 2019-2023 | Increasing Demand for Packaged Food and Beverages to Boost Growth | Technavioon September 6, 2019 at 6:51 am
MS resin is largely preferred owing to excellent clarity, durability, sturdiness, potential for weight reduction, ease of assembly during production ... Market – Global Expanded Polystyrene Market by ...
- Saline farming: Unlocking new opportunities for food through an innovative response to climate changeon September 6, 2019 at 6:08 am
It was the sixth consecutive year, and the 22nd out of the last 24 years in which global mean sea level increased relative to the previous year. Kaus warned that this trend represents a threat to food ...
- EU report: European Union leading in global agri-food tradeon September 6, 2019 at 5:08 am
The food production and processing chain accounts for 7.5% of employment ... nutritious and quality products is a winning formula in the global marketplace. The Commission is here to assist producers ...
- Evidence of crop production losses in West Africa due to historical global warming in two crop modelson September 6, 2019 at 2:13 am
Indeed, a number of studies anticipate a reduction of the crop yield of the main staple food crops in the region in the coming decades due to global warming. Here, we found that crop production might ...
- Global Zinc Market 2019 Global Production, Growth, Share, Demand and Applications Market Research Report to 2024on September 6, 2019 at 2:05 am
WiseGuyRerports.com Presents "Global Zinc Market 2019 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2024" New Document to its Studies Database Zinc is used in the production of ...
- Strategic Outlook of the Global Pumps Market 2019: Focus on Water and Wastewater, Food and Beverages, and Construction - ResearchAndMarkets.comon September 5, 2019 at 5:21 am
This research service covers the global opportunities in 2019 for pumps companies in the top 3 end-user industry segments (water and wastewater, food and beverages ... with OPEC and its allies ...
- Global food producers 'failing to face up to role' in climate crisison September 4, 2019 at 4:50 am
The Coller Fairr index ranks 50 of the largest global meat, dairy and fish producers by looking ... by companies that fail to mitigate the damage done to the environment by food production. Jeremy ...
- Digestive Health Food and Drink Market to Witness Huge Growth by 2026: Evaluating By Global Leading Playerson September 4, 2019 at 2:40 am
"Global Digestive Health Food and Drink market" provides, wherever applicable and relevant, technical data of products, and sheds useful light on expected commercial production dates and current R&D ...
via Bing News