The world’s top 10 crops — barley, cassava, maize, oil palm, rapeseed, rice, sorghum, soybean, sugarcane and wheat — supply a combined 83 percent of all calories produced on cropland. Yields have long been projected to decrease in future climate conditions. Now, new research shows climate change has already affected production of these key energy sources — and some regions and countries are faring far worse than others.
Published in PLOS ONE, the University of Minnesota-led study, conducted with researchers from the University of Oxford and the University of Copenhagen, used weather and reported crop data to evaluate the potential impact of observed climate change. The researchers found that:
- observed climate change causes a significant yield variation in the world’s top 10 crops, ranging from a decrease of 13.4 percent for oil palm to an increase of 3.5 percent for soybean, and resulting in an average reduction of approximately one percent (-3.5 X 10e13 kcal/year) of consumable food calories from these top 10 crops;
- impacts of climate change on global food production are mostly negative in Europe, Southern Africa, and Australia, generally positive in Latin America, and mixed in Asia and Northern and Central America;
- half of all food-insecure countries are experiencing decreases in crop production — and so are some affluent industrialized countries in Western Europe;
- contrastingly, recent climate change has increased the yields of certain crops in some areas of the upper Midwest United States.
“There are winners and losers, and some countries that are already food insecure fare worse,” says lead author Deepak Ray of the University of Minnesota’s Institute on the Environment, whose high-resolution global crop statistics databases have also been used to help to identify how global crop production changes over time. These findings indicate which geographical areas and crops are most at risk, making them relevant to those working to achieve the U.N. Sustainable Development Goals of ending hunger and limiting the effects of climate change. Insights like these lead to new questions and crucial next steps.
“This is a very complex system, so a careful statistical and data science modeling component is crucial to understand the dependencies and cascading effects of small or large changes,” says co-author Snigdhansu Chatterjee of the University of Minnesota’s School of Statistics.
The Institute’s Global Landscapes Initiative, whose contributors to this study included Ray, Paul West and James Gerber, has previously produced global scale findings that have been put to use by international organizations such as the U.N., World Bank and Brookings in evaluation of global food security and environmental challenges. The scholars say this report has implications for major food companies, commodity traders and the countries in which they operate, as well as for citizens worldwide.
“The research documents how change is already happening, not just in some future time,” says Ray.
The Latest on: Global food production
via Google News
The Latest on: Global food production
- The global ketogenic diet food market is forecasted to reach USD 12.35 billion in 2024, at an estimated CAGR of 5.3%on October 28, 2019 at 5:21 pm
The global ketogenic diet food market is forecasted to reach USD 12.35 billion in 2024 ... which is when the fat starts burning, instead of carbohydrates, for the production of energy. Standard ...
- Global plastic caps and closures market is projected to cross $ 33 billion by 2024on October 28, 2019 at 2:20 pm
Global Plastic Caps and Closures Market, By Product Type (Screw-On Caps; Dispensing Caps), By Material (Polyethylene (PE); Polypropylene (PP)), By Technology (Injection Molding; Compression Molding), ...
- Global emissions and Labour’s green planson October 28, 2019 at 10:40 am
But climate change is a global phenomenon, and the UK only emits 1% of annual ... The ultimate costs of many low-carbon options – for buildings, transport, food production, consumer products and ...
- Contract Manufacturing: Global Markets to 2023on October 28, 2019 at 8:10 am
Some verticals included in the market analysis are consumer electronics, aerospace and defense, energy, food processing and manufacturing ... revenue values are in constant U.S. dollars (USD), ...
- Pamerindo Indonesia to Hold Debut Expo "Hotelexpo Indonesia and Specialty Food Indonesia" in 2020on October 28, 2019 at 5:24 am
"We have led the global market for decades under the Pamerindo Indonesia and Informa Markets ... smart food storage, and sustainable amenities and food production; that will be presented at this expo, ...
- Resort to sustainable food production – Olam CEO urges Ghanaon October 26, 2019 at 10:03 am
... aggressive and sustainable food production to ensure food security and enhance the operations of agro-processing industries. Ghana should also encourage its farmers to conduct their activities in ...
- A new vertical farm is coming to Compton. Is this the solution to the world’s global food crisis?on October 25, 2019 at 7:12 am
According to a 2018 USDA report, the earth will need almost 70%more food, 30% more water and more than 50% more energy production by 2050. In a conference room at the farm, Barnard and Olivia Nahoum, ...
- Photojournalist Steinmetz talks aerial photography, sustainability in global food industryon October 24, 2019 at 12:28 pm
Over the past decade, though, Steinmetz’s work has moved in focus from desolate desert landscapes to incisive climate change photojournalism, covering global food scarcity and some ... where he found ...
- Global Airline Catering Market (Food Type, Flight Type & Aircraft Class) Insights, Trends & Forecast Report 2019-2023 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon October 23, 2019 at 6:21 am
growing aircraft production and increasing low-cost carriers. Some of the noteworthy trends of the market include surging millennial spending, rising adoption of online meal ordering platforms and ...
- Meal Kit Delivery Services Market Growth Analysis, Industry Size, Booming Share, Future Trends, Global Production By 2023on October 23, 2019 at 1:15 am
Get Free Sample Copy of “Meal Kit Delivery Service Market” @ https://www.marketresearchfuture.com/sample_request/6797 Based on food type, the global Meal Kit Delivery services market has been ...
via Bing News