The world’s top 10 crops — barley, cassava, maize, oil palm, rapeseed, rice, sorghum, soybean, sugarcane and wheat — supply a combined 83 percent of all calories produced on cropland. Yields have long been projected to decrease in future climate conditions. Now, new research shows climate change has already affected production of these key energy sources — and some regions and countries are faring far worse than others.
Published in PLOS ONE, the University of Minnesota-led study, conducted with researchers from the University of Oxford and the University of Copenhagen, used weather and reported crop data to evaluate the potential impact of observed climate change. The researchers found that:
- observed climate change causes a significant yield variation in the world’s top 10 crops, ranging from a decrease of 13.4 percent for oil palm to an increase of 3.5 percent for soybean, and resulting in an average reduction of approximately one percent (-3.5 X 10e13 kcal/year) of consumable food calories from these top 10 crops;
- impacts of climate change on global food production are mostly negative in Europe, Southern Africa, and Australia, generally positive in Latin America, and mixed in Asia and Northern and Central America;
- half of all food-insecure countries are experiencing decreases in crop production — and so are some affluent industrialized countries in Western Europe;
- contrastingly, recent climate change has increased the yields of certain crops in some areas of the upper Midwest United States.
“There are winners and losers, and some countries that are already food insecure fare worse,” says lead author Deepak Ray of the University of Minnesota’s Institute on the Environment, whose high-resolution global crop statistics databases have also been used to help to identify how global crop production changes over time. These findings indicate which geographical areas and crops are most at risk, making them relevant to those working to achieve the U.N. Sustainable Development Goals of ending hunger and limiting the effects of climate change. Insights like these lead to new questions and crucial next steps.
“This is a very complex system, so a careful statistical and data science modeling component is crucial to understand the dependencies and cascading effects of small or large changes,” says co-author Snigdhansu Chatterjee of the University of Minnesota’s School of Statistics.
The Institute’s Global Landscapes Initiative, whose contributors to this study included Ray, Paul West and James Gerber, has previously produced global scale findings that have been put to use by international organizations such as the U.N., World Bank and Brookings in evaluation of global food security and environmental challenges. The scholars say this report has implications for major food companies, commodity traders and the countries in which they operate, as well as for citizens worldwide.
“The research documents how change is already happening, not just in some future time,” says Ray.
The Latest on: Global food production
via Google News
The Latest on: Global food production
- Zambian expert calls for enhanced global trade relationson January 9, 2020 at 4:49 pm
In the case of Zambia, there is a lot of potential and opportunities in the agriculture sector,” she said. According to her, agriculture, particularly food production and processing offers sustainable ...
- Kombucha Market Size 2020 Brands, Ingredients, Flavors, Production, Manufacturers, Consumers & Global Forecast to 2025on January 9, 2020 at 9:27 am
The global kombucha market is majorly driven by the growing discretionary income spent on healthcare, shifting lifestyle of individuals, huge need of fortified food beverages, health benefits provided ...
- Can the digitalization of the supply chain reduce global food waste?on January 9, 2020 at 6:44 am
I’ve looked at how the digitalization of the supply chain could help decrease global food waste. The need for innovation to reduce waste Although food waste is evident across the entire supply chain, ...
- NFU urges Government to be global leader of climate-friendly foodon January 9, 2020 at 5:43 am
Its primary purpose needs to be the ability to scrutinise proposals in trade deals and make recommendations on the UK’s future food trade policy to ensure that UK farming’s high production standards ...
- Zimbabwe among 15 global hotspots suffering food insecurity – WFPon January 9, 2020 at 3:34 am
Global Hotspots 2020 highlights the fastest-deteriorating emergencies requiring the world’s urgent attentionm,” the report said. The situation in Zimbabwe has been described as “overheating” as the ...
- World Food Prices Hit Five-Year High as Inflation Pressures Slowly Simmer in Major Global Economieson January 9, 2020 at 2:09 am
However, with global oil prices trending near the $70 dollar per barrel mark amid ongoing Gulf tensions, OPEC production cuts and political crises in Venezuela, concurrent increases in both food and ...
- Global Food Flavor Enhancer Market Expected to Witness a Sustainable Growth over 2025on January 8, 2020 at 10:52 pm
The common food flavor enhancers include Monosodium Glutamate (MSG), L-alanine, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Proteins (HVP) and Yeast Extract. The global food flavor enhancer production market was 4.39 ...
- Global Organic Fresh Food Market 2019-2023 | Evolving Opportunities with Earthbound Farm, LLC and EVERSFIELD ORGANIC | Technavioon January 7, 2020 at 4:00 pm
https://www.technavio.com/report/global-organic-fresh-food-market-industry-analysis The market is driven by the growth in organic farming worldwide. In addition, sustainable organic fresh food ...
- Pet Food Market Global Production, Demand and Top Key Players 2020 - Mars, Nestle Purina, Big Heart, Colgateon January 7, 2020 at 2:55 am
The Pet Food Market report provides insightful data about business strategies, qualitative and quantitative analysis of Global Market. The report also calls for market – driven results deriving ...
- Halal Food and Beverage Market 2020 Share, Size - Global Industry Insights by Supply Demand and Shortage, Outlook, Forecast to 2029on January 7, 2020 at 1:55 am
A recent market research analysis titled, Halal Food and Beverage Market offers insightful information to the clients escalating their basic leadership size explores distinct significant facets ...
via Bing News