The world’s top 10 crops — barley, cassava, maize, oil palm, rapeseed, rice, sorghum, soybean, sugarcane and wheat — supply a combined 83 percent of all calories produced on cropland. Yields have long been projected to decrease in future climate conditions. Now, new research shows climate change has already affected production of these key energy sources — and some regions and countries are faring far worse than others.
Published in PLOS ONE, the University of Minnesota-led study, conducted with researchers from the University of Oxford and the University of Copenhagen, used weather and reported crop data to evaluate the potential impact of observed climate change. The researchers found that:
- observed climate change causes a significant yield variation in the world’s top 10 crops, ranging from a decrease of 13.4 percent for oil palm to an increase of 3.5 percent for soybean, and resulting in an average reduction of approximately one percent (-3.5 X 10e13 kcal/year) of consumable food calories from these top 10 crops;
- impacts of climate change on global food production are mostly negative in Europe, Southern Africa, and Australia, generally positive in Latin America, and mixed in Asia and Northern and Central America;
- half of all food-insecure countries are experiencing decreases in crop production — and so are some affluent industrialized countries in Western Europe;
- contrastingly, recent climate change has increased the yields of certain crops in some areas of the upper Midwest United States.
“There are winners and losers, and some countries that are already food insecure fare worse,” says lead author Deepak Ray of the University of Minnesota’s Institute on the Environment, whose high-resolution global crop statistics databases have also been used to help to identify how global crop production changes over time. These findings indicate which geographical areas and crops are most at risk, making them relevant to those working to achieve the U.N. Sustainable Development Goals of ending hunger and limiting the effects of climate change. Insights like these lead to new questions and crucial next steps.
“This is a very complex system, so a careful statistical and data science modeling component is crucial to understand the dependencies and cascading effects of small or large changes,” says co-author Snigdhansu Chatterjee of the University of Minnesota’s School of Statistics.
The Institute’s Global Landscapes Initiative, whose contributors to this study included Ray, Paul West and James Gerber, has previously produced global scale findings that have been put to use by international organizations such as the U.N., World Bank and Brookings in evaluation of global food security and environmental challenges. The scholars say this report has implications for major food companies, commodity traders and the countries in which they operate, as well as for citizens worldwide.
“The research documents how change is already happening, not just in some future time,” says Ray.
The Latest on: Global food production
via Google News
The Latest on: Global food production
- $17Bn Industrial Hose Market by Material, Media, Industry, and Geography - Global Forecast to 2024 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon June 25, 2019 at 10:46 am
food & beverages, agriculture), and Geography - Global Forecast to 2024" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The industrial hose market is likely to grow from USD 12.8 ... […]
- Election of Qu Dongyu puts China at forefront of global food securityon June 25, 2019 at 10:11 am
China’s push to expand its leadership role in global organisations is gathering momentum ... research and standards setting in food production and safety. Qu follows in the footsteps of recently ... […]
- Fresh Food Vending Machines Market in-Depth Analysis 2019 – 2026 by Key Players: Beaver Machine, Dixie-Narco, Daito Co., Ltd, Fuji Electric Coon June 25, 2019 at 8:32 am
The study objectives of this report are: 1. To analyze and study the global Fresh Food Vending Machines capacity, production, value, consumption, status and forecast (2019-2026); 2. Focuses on the key ... […]
- Food Acidulants Market: Global Key Players, Trends, Share, Industry Size, Growth, Opportunities, Forecast To 2024on June 25, 2019 at 6:14 am
(MENAFN - iCrowdNewsWire) WiseGuyReports.com adds 'Food Acidulants Market 2019 Global Analysis ... the quantity of production, required raw material, and the financial health of the organization. ... […]
- Can the EAT-Lancet diet work for the global south?on June 25, 2019 at 5:21 am
Scientists have charted an ambitious new plan to transform the global food system by 2050 ... Lower-income countries need people willing to invest in farming and food production, not snazzy new ... […]
- Global Food Grade Ammonium Carbonate Market Research Report 2019-2025, by Manufacturers, Regions, Types and Applicationson June 25, 2019 at 3:24 am
Expansion Plans 4 Food Grade Ammonium Carbonate Production by Regions 4.1 Global Food Grade Ammonium Carbonate Production by Regions 4.1.1 Global Food Grade Ammonium Carbonate Production Market Share ... […]
- Feed Micronutrients Market Value Worth $2,000 Million by 2025: Global Market Insights, Inc.on June 25, 2019 at 1:00 am
Meat and poultry industry are the largest segment in U.S. agriculture where meat production accounted for ... and changing climatic conditions due to global warming has resulted in deficient ... […]
- Global Food Starch Market 2019: key Vendors, Trends, Analysis, Segmentation, Forecast to 2024on June 24, 2019 at 5:48 am
production data and export & import: Asia-Pacific North America Europe South America Middle East & Africa At Any Query @ ... […]
- Extension officers to help increase food productionon June 22, 2019 at 2:00 pm
Kenya Country Manager for global fertiliser firm, Yara ... our customers on the importance of soil nutrition and good farming practice for quality production of food and cash crops,” he said. Jackline ... […]
- Outlook on the Global Food Safety Testing Market 2019-2024 : Technology, Size, Global Insights and Forecaston June 21, 2019 at 11:23 am
The research on the Food Safety Testing market further validates other prime factors including investment feasibility, production capability ... with any business presentation. - Analyses of global ... […]
via Bing News