Any single hair from anywhere on the human body can be used to identify a person.
This conclusion is one of the key findings from a nearly year-long study by a team of researchers from Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory’s (LLNL) Forensic Science Center (FSC) and Michigan State University.
The team’s study, published in Scientific Reports, a journal of Nature Magazine, could provide an important new avenue of evidence for law enforcement authorities in sexual assault cases
In 2016, FSC scientists developed the first-ever biological identification method that exploits the information encoded in the proteins of human hair from people’s heads. This forensic science breakthrough provides a second science-based, statistically validated way to identify people and link individuals to evidence in addition to DNA profiling.
“This new paper focuses on elucidating more of the hair protein chemistry and its effects on the protein marker identification,” said chemist Fanny Chu, the paper’s lead author, a graduate student at Michigan State University and a Livermore Graduate Scholar, a program that allows Ph.D. students to work on their thesis at LLNL.
“We’ve already shown that we can use human hair from people’s heads for identifying people. Now the question arises: Can you get the same identification information from hair in other body locations?
“In this paper, we studied arm and pubic hair compared with head hair. We found that arm and pubic hair essentially give us the same information as head hair,” Chu continued.
It is anticipated by the LLNL-Michigan State team that the “real relevance” of their research could come in helping law enforcement authorities investigate sexual assault cases, said paper co-author and FSC chemist Deon Anex.
“Pubic hair from an assailant can often be found during an examination of a sexual assault victim. Because of this research, the analysis of protein identification markers in such pubic hair could someday be used as evidence in criminal cases,” Anex said.
Based on the protein content of the hairs, the forensic scientists indicated that they also can determine whether an individual hair is from a person’s head, arm or pubic area.
The Latest on: Biological identification
via Google News
The Latest on: Biological identification
- AstraZeneca Taps Gatehouse Bio to Identify Potential Drug Targetson December 9, 2019 at 4:40 am
Under the collaboration, expected to last multiple years, Gatehouse will use its sRNAlytics platform to identify small RNA (sRNA) signatures, which the company says help in diagnosing and subtyping ...
- Missouri Senator Wants to Amend State Constitution to Force Schools to Make Trans Athletes Compete Against Those of Same "Biological Sex"on December 6, 2019 at 2:38 pm
A Missouri senator wants to make transgender high school athletes compete with those who match the gender they were born with, not the ones they identify with. Getty "To me, this is appalling," ...
- Scientists use crabs to validate popular method to identify unknown human brain neuronson December 6, 2019 at 8:07 am
Researchers worked to validate a popular research method called RNA sequencing used to identify unknown neurons in the brain and sort them into various ... yet we still don't know how many distinct ...
- Scientists identify how damaged DNA molecules are repaired inside the human genomeon December 5, 2019 at 8:56 am
The proper packing of the genome is critical for its healthy biological function such as gene expression, genome duplication, and DNA repair. However, both the genome's structure and function are ...
- Visualizing structure and transitions in high-dimensional biological dataon December 3, 2019 at 8:26 am
An analysis of a newly generated single-cell RNA sequencing dataset on human germ-layer differentiation demonstrates how PHATE reveals unique biological insight into the main developmental branches, ...
- Biological Drugs Market 2019 by Excellent Revenue Growth by 2025 | MRE Research Reporton December 2, 2019 at 10:19 pm
The Biological Drugs Market is expected to exceed more than US ... Our deep focus on industry verticals and country reports help our clients to identify opportunities and develop business strategies.
- The biological basis of economic behavior: How the brain perceives value and rewardon November 29, 2019 at 9:44 am
Their research is far from frivolous and can be defined as the quest to document the biological basis of economic behavior ... To make decisions efficiently, we must quickly identify relevant ...
- Paleontologists identify new group of pterosaurson November 28, 2019 at 4:00 pm
co-author and professor in the Department of Biological Sciences and the Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences. Results also suggest that this particular type of pterosaur likely fed on ...
- Childhood intelligence attenuates the association between biological ageing and health outcomes in later lifeon November 28, 2019 at 4:41 am
The identification of biomarkers that discriminate individual ageing trajectories is a principal target of ageing research. Some of the most promising predictors of biological ageing have been ...
- Biological males who self-identify as female may be competing in the 2020 Olympicson November 26, 2019 at 2:43 pm
A record number of biological males who self-identify as female may be competing in the 2020 Olympic Summer Games, forcing a public debate over the fairness of transgender women competing against ...
via Bing News