A research team of Tohoku University, Nissan Motor Co., Shinshu University, and Okayama University made a groundbreaking discovery in the quest to replace hydrofluorocarbons in refrigeration systems with natural refrigerants such as water and alcohol.
Their study involved carrying-out a liquid-to-gas phase transition via a nanosponge, a soft, elastic material equipped with small nanopores less than 10 nanometers. Their findings could lead to more efficient refrigerants with a smaller carbon footprint.
Refrigeration systems are widely used in air conditioners and refrigerators. Conventional systems use hydrofluorocarbons as a refrigerant. However, hydrofluorocarbons are super pollutants. Their Global Warming Potential is about 1300 times higher than that of CO2.
The team of researchers successfully carried out a force-driven liquid-to-gas phase transition using a nanosponge. When a normal, wet sponge is squeezed, naturally, water is expected to come out. However, when using a nanosponge with a pore size of under 10 nanometers, a different phenomenon occurs. Even under low pressure, the sponge retains its liquid.
When applying force, however, the expelled liquid immediately evaporates into gas. Furthermore, as the sponge returns to its natural shape, it adsorbs the gas as a liquid into the nanopores again.
Until now, researchers have not carried out the squeezing process of nanoporous materials because conventional materials are too hard to be deformed. Nevertheless, the team circumvented this by creating their own soft, elastic, nanoporous materials, consisting of a single-layer of graphene walls. They measured their results using a home-made equipment designed to monitor liquid-gas phase transition when mechanical force is applied.
The team thought about the squeezing method after developing soft nanoporous materials. But even they could not anticipate their prediction becoming reality at the first attempt.
To date, there have been only two methods of converting trapped liquid into gas: i. heating or ii. decreasing the gas-phase pressure. The squeezing method provides a third way, generating a new theme in the field of physical chemistry and paving the path for more environmentally friendly refrigeration systems. Cool stuff!
The Latest on: Refrigeration
via Google News
The Latest on: Refrigeration
- Caverion Completes the Acquisition of Refrigeration Solutions Business of Huurre Group Oyon November 29, 2019 at 4:07 pm
Caverion Corporation Investor News 29 November 2019 at 12 noon EET HELSINKI, Nov. 29, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Caverion has today completed the acquisition of Refrigeration Solutions business of Huurre ...
- Refrigeration Lubricants Market Growth, Top Competitor, Rising Global Value and Forecast Period 2014-2027on November 27, 2019 at 9:28 am
Seattle, WA -- (SBWIRE) -- 11/27/2019 -- Refrigeration Lubricants Market has witnessed continuous growth in the past few years and is projected to grow even further during the forecast period ...
- Transport Refrigeration Equipment Market Growth, Trend and Forecast 2028 | Thermo King, Carrier Transicold, DENSO, Wabash Nationalon November 26, 2019 at 7:31 am
Nov 26, 2019 (Reporthive Research via COMTEX) -- Chicago, United States, Nov 26, 2019 -- Report hive adds Transport Refrigeration Equipment Market report to its research database. Delivering in depth ...
- Industrial Refrigeration System Market Worth $24.8 Billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets™on November 25, 2019 at 4:01 pm
CHICAGO, Nov. 25, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- According to the new market research report "Industrial Refrigeration System Market by Component (Compressor, Condenser, Evaporator), Refrigerant Type (Ammonia, ...
- Global Transport Refrigeration Equipment Industry Analysis 2019, Market Growth, Trends, Opportunities Forecast To 2024on November 25, 2019 at 5:23 am
A New Market Study, titled “Transport Refrigeration Equipment Market Upcoming Trends, Growth Drivers and Challenges” has been featured on WiseGuyReports. A New Market Study, titled “Transport ...
- Commercial Refrigeration Equipment Market 2019 Global Industry Analysis, Segments, Top Key Players, Drivers and Trends by 2025on November 21, 2019 at 9:58 pm
Companies operating in the commercial refrigeration equipment market include Baltimore Aircoil Company, Inc. (US), Daikin Industries, Ltd. (Japan), GEA Group AG (Germany), Emerson Climate Technologies ...
- Refcold showcases innovations in refrigeration, cold storage at Hitex Expoon November 21, 2019 at 4:05 am
Refcold India showcased the latest innovations in refrigeration and cold storage at the Hitex Expo, the three-day exposition in Cold Chain, Industrial Refrigeration and Reefer Transportation.
- 12-story refrigeration tower in West Hempfield would be third-tallest building in Lancaster Countyon November 20, 2019 at 8:55 am
Lancaster County’s two tallest buildings are a hotel and an office building, as the highest buildings in a community often are. But a company in West Hempfield Township wants to add an unusual ...
- Jarra is a self-cooling clay flask that combines pre-refrigeration techniques with a contemporary formon November 18, 2019 at 10:54 am
It’s really difficult to imagine a life before electric refrigeration existed, but we humans had our ways of naturally cooling liquids back in the day. Meet Jarra, a modern flask that takes ...
- More than 70 nations pledge to reduce food wasteon November 12, 2019 at 6:38 am
More than 70 countries have pledged to do more to cut down on the amount of food lost due to poor refrigeration. The countries signed the pledge Saturday at an annual meeting of the Montreal Protocol ...
via Bing News