A research team of Tohoku University, Nissan Motor Co., Shinshu University, and Okayama University made a groundbreaking discovery in the quest to replace hydrofluorocarbons in refrigeration systems with natural refrigerants such as water and alcohol.
Their study involved carrying-out a liquid-to-gas phase transition via a nanosponge, a soft, elastic material equipped with small nanopores less than 10 nanometers. Their findings could lead to more efficient refrigerants with a smaller carbon footprint.
Refrigeration systems are widely used in air conditioners and refrigerators. Conventional systems use hydrofluorocarbons as a refrigerant. However, hydrofluorocarbons are super pollutants. Their Global Warming Potential is about 1300 times higher than that of CO2.
The team of researchers successfully carried out a force-driven liquid-to-gas phase transition using a nanosponge. When a normal, wet sponge is squeezed, naturally, water is expected to come out. However, when using a nanosponge with a pore size of under 10 nanometers, a different phenomenon occurs. Even under low pressure, the sponge retains its liquid.
When applying force, however, the expelled liquid immediately evaporates into gas. Furthermore, as the sponge returns to its natural shape, it adsorbs the gas as a liquid into the nanopores again.
Until now, researchers have not carried out the squeezing process of nanoporous materials because conventional materials are too hard to be deformed. Nevertheless, the team circumvented this by creating their own soft, elastic, nanoporous materials, consisting of a single-layer of graphene walls. They measured their results using a home-made equipment designed to monitor liquid-gas phase transition when mechanical force is applied.
The team thought about the squeezing method after developing soft nanoporous materials. But even they could not anticipate their prediction becoming reality at the first attempt.
To date, there have been only two methods of converting trapped liquid into gas: i. heating or ii. decreasing the gas-phase pressure. The squeezing method provides a third way, generating a new theme in the field of physical chemistry and paving the path for more environmentally friendly refrigeration systems. Cool stuff!
The Latest on: Refrigeration
via Google News
The Latest on: Refrigeration
- Firefighters stop refrigeration unit fire from damaging NW Side restauranton February 27, 2020 at 8:12 am
A fire in an outdoor refrigeration unit threatened to damage a Northwest Side Mexican restaurant late Wednesday night, the San Antonio Fire Department said.
- Refrigeration Compressor Market Analysis, Size, Share, Growth and Opportunity Assessment till 2029on February 26, 2020 at 11:25 pm
Refrigeration is the process of heat removal from a substance or a surrounded space to reducing the temperature. It is a basic and vital part of the refrigeration system. The results of a ...
- Refrigeration Machinery and Equipment Market Economic Forecasting By Key Players 2029 | Daikin Industries and Whirpool Corporationon February 26, 2020 at 9:03 pm
Refrigeration Machinery and Equipment Market Report From Market.us Viewpoint : Industry Update 2020-2029 Top Winning Strategies for the refrigeration machinery and equipment market has been organized ...
- Star Refrigeration's manufacturing team wins Quality Award at CeeD Awards 2020on February 21, 2020 at 6:58 pm
Star Refrigeration has been awarded the highly sought after Quality Award at the CeeD Awards 2020 for leading the way in production waste elimination and efficient operation through the implementation ...
- Hotels & Restaurants is estimated to be the largest segment of the commercial refrigeration equipment marketon February 20, 2020 at 5:23 pm
Browse 99 market data Tables and 32 Figures spread through 159 Pages and in-depth TOC on “Commercial Refrigeration Equipment Market” Commercial Refrigeration Equipment Market by Product Type, ...
- Hoshizaki Growing by Being the Best in Refrigerationon February 20, 2020 at 12:05 pm
Hoshizaki Corp. (TSE:6465) (HSHIF) is arguably the best refrigerator manufacturer in the world, and its financials prove it. The stock sold off two years ago on accounting irregularities, but has done ...
- Commercial Refrigeration Market Size is Expected to Reach USD 37,410.1 Million by 2026 | Valuates Reportson February 20, 2020 at 6:17 am
BANGALORE, India, Feb. 20, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Commercial refrigeration is the process of removing excess heat from a source or object to keep the temperature lower than its surrounding area.
- Industrial Refrigeration Equipment Market study an emerging hint of opportunity in 2020-2025on February 19, 2020 at 11:01 am
Over the past decade, Industrial Refrigeration Equipment Market is expected to achieve steady growth. Therefore, it is important to identify all investment opportunities, future market threats, ...
- Road Transport Refrigeration Equipment Market To Witness Significant Growth By 2020-2025on February 19, 2020 at 10:43 am
The Market Research Report Road Transport Refrigeration Equipment allows buyers to better understand all current activities in the industry and plan effective strategies based on greater success for ...
- BRIEF-Coles Says Coronavirus Is Delaying Renewal Refrigeration Equipment Being Shipped Out Of Chinaon February 17, 2020 at 7:35 pm
Coles Group Ltd: * GROSS OPERATING CAPEX CONTINUES TO BE ON TRACK FOR $700 MILLION TO $900 MILLION FY SPEND * CAPEX GUIDANCE ON TRACK ALTHOUGH CORONAVIRUS IS DELAYING RENEWAL REFRIGERATION EQUIPMENT ...
via Bing News