A research team of Tohoku University, Nissan Motor Co., Shinshu University, and Okayama University made a groundbreaking discovery in the quest to replace hydrofluorocarbons in refrigeration systems with natural refrigerants such as water and alcohol.
Their study involved carrying-out a liquid-to-gas phase transition via a nanosponge, a soft, elastic material equipped with small nanopores less than 10 nanometers. Their findings could lead to more efficient refrigerants with a smaller carbon footprint.
Refrigeration systems are widely used in air conditioners and refrigerators. Conventional systems use hydrofluorocarbons as a refrigerant. However, hydrofluorocarbons are super pollutants. Their Global Warming Potential is about 1300 times higher than that of CO2.
The team of researchers successfully carried out a force-driven liquid-to-gas phase transition using a nanosponge. When a normal, wet sponge is squeezed, naturally, water is expected to come out. However, when using a nanosponge with a pore size of under 10 nanometers, a different phenomenon occurs. Even under low pressure, the sponge retains its liquid.
When applying force, however, the expelled liquid immediately evaporates into gas. Furthermore, as the sponge returns to its natural shape, it adsorbs the gas as a liquid into the nanopores again.
Until now, researchers have not carried out the squeezing process of nanoporous materials because conventional materials are too hard to be deformed. Nevertheless, the team circumvented this by creating their own soft, elastic, nanoporous materials, consisting of a single-layer of graphene walls. They measured their results using a home-made equipment designed to monitor liquid-gas phase transition when mechanical force is applied.
The team thought about the squeezing method after developing soft nanoporous materials. But even they could not anticipate their prediction becoming reality at the first attempt.
To date, there have been only two methods of converting trapped liquid into gas: i. heating or ii. decreasing the gas-phase pressure. The squeezing method provides a third way, generating a new theme in the field of physical chemistry and paving the path for more environmentally friendly refrigeration systems. Cool stuff!
The Latest on: Refrigeration
via Google News
The Latest on: Refrigeration
- North America Beverage Refrigeration Market expected to reach over USD 1.2 Bn by 2024on July 18, 2019 at 8:34 am
advancements in the refrigeration systems coupled with grants on energy efficient products are the major factors driving beverage refrigeration market. According to the Graphical Research new ... […]
- Commercial Refrigeration Equipment Market to Reach a Market Size of $47.8 Billion by 2025 - KBV Researchon July 17, 2019 at 6:30 am
NEW DELHI, July 17, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- According to a new report Global Commercial Refrigeration Equipment Market, published by KBV research, The Global Commercial Refrigeration Equipment Market ... […]
- Star Refrigeration Shortlisted for Four RAC Industry Awardson July 16, 2019 at 10:12 am
GLASGOW, United Kingdom, July 16, 2019 /PRNewswire-PRWeb/ -- The leading industrial refrigeration company, Star Refrigeration, is nominated amongst the biggest names in the cooling industry including ... […]
- Global Commercial Refrigeration Equipment Market (2019-2025): Increase in Investments in the Food & Beverage Industry is the Key Driveron July 16, 2019 at 9:45 am
DUBLIN, July 16, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- The "Global Commercial Refrigeration Equipment Market (2019-2025)" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The Global Commercial ... […]
- Global Commercial Refrigeration Equipment Market to 2025: Analyzed by Product, Application, Retail Channel and Geography - ResearchAndMarkets.comon July 16, 2019 at 3:25 am
DUBLIN--(Business Wire)--The "Global Commercial Refrigeration Equipment Market (2019-2025)" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The Global Commercial Refrigeration Equipment ... […]
- Chemours and Axima Refrigeration France Partner on Use of Opteon™ XL A2L Class Refrigerants for Commercial Refrigerationon July 16, 2019 at 2:14 am
After the successful adoption of Opteon™ XP40 (R-449A) for retrofitting existing R-404A systems, Axima Refrigeration France investigates Opteon™ XL Low GWP HFO refrigerants for new equipment ... […]
- SPX acquires SGS Refrigerationon July 8, 2019 at 3:11 pm
SPX (SPXC-0.1%) announced that is has completed the acquisition of SGS Refrigeration Inc., a manufacturer and distributor of industrial refrigeration products in the North American market. ... […]
- SPX Announces Purchase of SGS Refrigeration Inc.on July 8, 2019 at 7:10 am
CHARLOTTE, N.C., July 08, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- SPX Corporation (NYSE:SPXC) today announced that it has completed the acquisition of SGS Refrigeration Inc. ("SGS"), based in Dixon, Illinois. SGS is ... […]
- Refrigeration Compressor Market Share, Development by Companies Outlook, Growth Prospects and Key Opportunities by 2027on July 8, 2019 at 6:48 am
Valley Cottage, NY -- (SBWIRE) -- 07/08/2019 -- Refrigeration can be defined as the process of heat removal from a substance or an enclosed space for the purpose of reducing the temperature. A ... […]
- Refrigeration Industry Contends With Refrigerant Uncertaintyon July 1, 2019 at 5:04 am
Since the courts ruled that the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) did not have the authority to phase down HFCs, the commercial refrigeration industry has been in a bit of turmoil. Many ... […]
via Bing News