Analyzing brain waveforms using neuroimaging big data helps improve diagnosis accuracy
A team of researchers from Osaka University and The University of Tokyo developed MNet, an automatic diagnosis system for neurological diseases using magnetoencephalography (MEG) (Figure 1), demonstrating the possibility of making automatic neurological disease diagnoses using MEG. Their research results were published in Scientific Reports.
MEG and electroencephalography (EEG) are essential for diagnosing neurological diseases such as epilepsy. MEG allows for the acquisition of detailed temporal-spatial patterns of human brain activity through the measurement of electro-magnetic field associated with neural activity, extracting detailed time-series signals from 160 sensors. Although information obtained from these tests is important for diagnosis, time and expertise are necessary for reading and analyzing, and abnormal waveform patterns may be missed.
Deep Neural Network (DNN), also known as deep learning, is a subset of machine learning in artificial intelligence (AI) and has drawn attention in recent years as a means for classifying data on various images, videos, and sounds at a high accuracy through a machine learning process using big data.
The AI-powered automatic classification system MNet, which utilizes DNN as a computational framework, is based on a neural network called EnvNet (end-to-end convolutional neural network for environmental sound classification) and can be trained to extract and learn features of neuroimaging signals unique to various neurological diseases from a massive amount of time-series neuroimaging data.
The team expected that the use of DNN would allow for the system to learn the characteristics of neurological diseases from many signals and classify patients with neurological diseases more accurately than conventional methods using waveforms.
With MNet, they tried to classify neuroimaging big data on 140 patients with epilepsy, 26 patients with spinal cord injuries, and 67 healthy subjects. The trained MNet succeeded in classifying healthy subjects and those with the two neurological diseases with an accuracy of over 70% and patients with epilepsy and healthy subjects with an accuracy of nearly 90%. The classification accuracy was significantly higher than that obtained by a support vector machine (SVM), a conventional general machine learning method based on waveforms (relative band powers of EEG signal). Moving forward, this technique will be used for diagnosis of various neurological diseases, evaluation of severity, prognosis, and efficacy of treatment.
“Machine learning is constantly advancing, with new techniques being developed all the time. However, no matter how much analytical methods advance, if the quality of underlying data is poor, a sharp distinction cannot be drawn. We carried out the process of machine learning by utilizing DNN, which processed big data mainly from the Osaka University Hospital Epilepsy Center. We’d like to increase the number and the types of diseases to be diagnosed without sacrificing quality of data so that our technique will be helpful in clinical practice,” says researcher Jo Aoe of Osaka University.
The Latest on: Automatic diagnosis system
via Google News
The Latest on: Automatic diagnosis system
- $2.36 Billion Automated Breast Ultrasound Systems (ABUS) - Global Market Outlook 2017-2026 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon July 19, 2019 at 9:47 am
increasing presence of breast cancer diagnostic centers, and growing number of product launches are some of the factors driving the market growth in this region. Some of the key players profiled in ... […]
- Machine Learning Approaches for Automated Lesion Detection in Microwave Breast Imaging Clinical Dataon July 19, 2019 at 2:45 am
located at the Department of Diagnostic Imaging, Perugia Hospital, Perugia, Italy. All of the data was anonymized. The functioning principle of the MammoWave system is based on the dielectric property ... […]
- Eisai presents new research evaluating correlation of Abeta in plasma and CSF with automated protein assay systemon July 19, 2019 at 1:47 am
In this research, the correlation between Abeta1-42/Abeta1-40 ratio in plasma and Abeta1-42/Abeta1-40 in CSF were investigated for creating a simple blood diagnostic for AD by the automated protein ... […]
- Point Of Care Diagnostics/Testing Market Expected To Register A CAGR Of 3.3% For The Forecast Period From 2019 To 2025 : Grand View Research Inc.on July 18, 2019 at 7:16 am
Adaptation of automated laboratory systems and highly integrated solutions facilitate the diagnostic workflow, which in turn drives adoption of point of care diagnostic/testing products. Lack of ... […]
- ROCHE Cobas 4800 With x480 + z480 Molecular Diagnostic Testing CT/NG/HPV Lab - General For Saleon July 16, 2019 at 3:11 am
This Roche Hamilton Cobas 4800 diagnostic system, consisting of the x480 sample prepper and z480 analyzer, offers automated nucleic acid purification and real-time PCR multiplex amplification and ... […]
- Aquicore Launches "Automatic Diagnostics," A New Machine Learning Tool for Its Comprehensive Commercial Real Estate Operations Platformon July 16, 2019 at 3:05 am
the intuitive platform accurately identifies potential problems in buildings' operation systems that would normally go unnoticed. Automatic Diagnostics presents potential issues in a meaningful ... […]
- Global Automatic Cell Imaging System Market 2019-2023 - Major Players are General Electric Co, Olympus Corp, PerkinElmer, Sartorius, and Thermo Fisheron July 16, 2019 at 2:23 am
This automatic cell imaging system market analysis considers sales from hospitals, diagnostic laboratories, and others. The analysis also considers the sales of automatic cell imaging system in APAC, ... […]
- Automatic Cell Imaging System Market Set to Record a CAGR of ~9% Over 2019-2023on July 16, 2019 at 1:50 am
The increasing prevalence of cancer has resulted in conducting extensive research through advanced and efficient molecular diagnostic techniques such as cell imaging to study cancer biology. ... […]
- Okayama University Research: Early Gastric Cancer Endoscopic Diagnosis System Using Artificial Intelligenceon July 14, 2019 at 9:40 pm
First the prototype of the system to obtain the depth of early ... of oversight of cancer and increases in misdiagnosis. If automatic diagnosis of digestive tract endoscope images by AI is ... […]
- Friendly Technologies Launches WiFi Optimization & WiFi Mesh Management Systemon July 11, 2019 at 4:21 am
The WiFi Optimization package is a comprehensive and advanced set of tools for the diagnostics ... mesh management platform incorporates automated installation and configuration, a topological ... […]
via Bing News