A new small-molecule drug produced a rapid antidepressant response similar to that of ketamine when tested in mice, a new Yale-led study published April 16 in The Journal of Clinical Investigation shows.
The effects of the drug, called NV-5138, in rodent models mimicked the rapid actions of the anesthetic ketamine, a variation of which, Esketamine, was recently approved by the FDA for use in depressed patients who do not respond to other medications. However, there still remain lingering safety concerns over use of ketamine, as well as Esketamine, both of which have the potential to induce psychosis-like states and also have a potential for abuse.
“Recent research has raised the possibility that a new drug, such as NV-5138, could be developed that is rapid-acting but also more efficacious and safer than current formulations of ketamine,” said senior author Ron Duman, the Elizabeth Mears and House Jameson Professor of Psychiatry and professor of neuroscience.
The experimental drug does not directly stimulate neuronal activity like ketamine, but like ketamine, it spurs the growth of synapses or connections between neurons, the loss of which is associated with chronic stress and depression. The research team also showed that synaptic connectivity markers were rapidly restored in a mouse model of anhedonia, a core symptom of depression marked by an inability to experience pleasure. Mice administered a single dose of the drug also showed marked improvements in other depression-related behaviors.
The drug is being developed by Navitor Pharmaceuticals Inc., which funded the study. It is currently undergoing Phase I testing in human patients.
The Latest on: Depression
via Google News
The Latest on: Depression
- Man arrested for impersonating police said tactical vest helped with depression, court documents sayon June 25, 2019 at 9:08 am
Man arrested for impersonating police said tactical vest helped with depression, court documents say A 25-year-old man arrested last week for impersonating a police officer not only wore a ... […]
- You've Heard of Postpartum Depression, But Probably Not Postpartum Anxietyon June 25, 2019 at 9:05 am
Four days after the birth of our daughter, my husband and I brought her home from the hospital. We were exhausted but giddy, ready to start our new lives. For nine months I had imagined what those ... […]
- James Middleton Opens Up About Struggling with Depressionon June 25, 2019 at 8:52 am
In recent months, Kate Middleton's brother James has begun to speak up about his battle with depression, in the hopes that others will find comfort in his honesty. This past January, James Middleton ... […]
- Lizzo Got ‘Emotionally Honest’ About Her Depression—and the Response Was Powerfulon June 25, 2019 at 8:12 am
Lizzo's in the middle of a banner year when it comes to her career. Her songs "Juice" and "Truth Hurts" have quickly become not only songs of summer but anthems of female empowerment and positivity. ... […]
- One-third of vascular surgeons self-report burnout, depressionon June 25, 2019 at 6:58 am
Three in 10 vascular surgeons met criteria for burnout and more than one-third said they had symptoms of depression, according to the results of a survey presented at the Society for Vascular Surgery ... […]
- Farmer Suicide, Depression Rates Rise Amid Lesotho Mohair Crisison June 25, 2019 at 4:53 am
Prince Seeiso Bereng Seeiso has said the government should end its politicisation of the country's wool and mohair trade crisis. Prince Seeiso made the comments out of concern for the mental ... […]
- James Middleton opens up about suffering from 'crippling' depressionon June 24, 2019 at 11:30 pm
James Middleton is continuing to share his hardships with depression. The brother to Duchess Kate and Pippa Middleton, 32, credits his sudden rise to fame at age 23 to when his older sister married ... […]
- VA Imposes Strict Limits on Controversial Ketamine-Based Depression Treatmenton June 24, 2019 at 3:36 pm
After the VA announced in March it would offer a highly anticipated ketamine-based medication for treatment-resistant depression, a Department of Veterans Affairs panel voted last week against ... […]
- James Middleton opens up about 'crippling' depression: 'It was taking over'on June 24, 2019 at 10:52 am
James Middleton has found his strength again after his private battle with depression. Back in January, Kate Middleton's younger brother detailed his mental health issues in an emotional op-ed for The ... […]
- Katy psychiatrist offers new treatment options for depressionon June 24, 2019 at 10:09 am
Dr. Kimberly Cress, MD, and the device she uses in her Katy psychiatric practice for Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation, a treatment for clinical depression. Dr. Kimberly Cress, MD, and the device she ... […]
via Bing News