A new small-molecule drug produced a rapid antidepressant response similar to that of ketamine when tested in mice, a new Yale-led study published April 16 in The Journal of Clinical Investigation shows.
The effects of the drug, called NV-5138, in rodent models mimicked the rapid actions of the anesthetic ketamine, a variation of which, Esketamine, was recently approved by the FDA for use in depressed patients who do not respond to other medications. However, there still remain lingering safety concerns over use of ketamine, as well as Esketamine, both of which have the potential to induce psychosis-like states and also have a potential for abuse.
“Recent research has raised the possibility that a new drug, such as NV-5138, could be developed that is rapid-acting but also more efficacious and safer than current formulations of ketamine,” said senior author Ron Duman, the Elizabeth Mears and House Jameson Professor of Psychiatry and professor of neuroscience.
The experimental drug does not directly stimulate neuronal activity like ketamine, but like ketamine, it spurs the growth of synapses or connections between neurons, the loss of which is associated with chronic stress and depression. The research team also showed that synaptic connectivity markers were rapidly restored in a mouse model of anhedonia, a core symptom of depression marked by an inability to experience pleasure. Mice administered a single dose of the drug also showed marked improvements in other depression-related behaviors.
The drug is being developed by Navitor Pharmaceuticals Inc., which funded the study. It is currently undergoing Phase I testing in human patients.
The Latest on: Depression
via Google News
The Latest on: Depression
- Sophie Turner Opens Up About the Start of Her Depression on May 18, 2019 at 5:13 am
Sophie Turner started Game of Thrones at the ripe age of 15. As a teenage girl thrown into the spotlight – expected to meet viewers’ expectations regarding Georg R.R. Martin’s character and society’s ... […]
- Wale Addresses Depression & Anxiety In A Tweet Spree About His "New Single" on May 17, 2019 at 11:46 pm
(AllHipHop News) Mental health has become a serious topic in Hip Hop over the last several years. Artists and media personalities have advocated for therapy to deal with depression, anxiety, and ... […]
- London rapper Hyphen, who shines a spotlight on male mental health, tells of battle with depression on May 17, 2019 at 10:27 pm
A special message from MSN: For some, finding happiness is an everyday battle. Britain is facing a mental health epidemic as services fail those who need them the most and more people than ever are ... […]
- Woman suffering from depression, infant child reported missing in New Orleans on May 17, 2019 at 9:16 am
The New Orleans Police Department is searching for a missing woman and her infant child. Leeshinedra Davis was last seen Wednesday by her family. Davis told her family members through social media ... […]
- Ashley Massaro Died of Apparent Suicide After Claiming Years of Depression, Injuries Suffered from WWE Career on May 17, 2019 at 9:07 am
Ashley Massaro died after apparently taking her own life, and in heart-wrenching accusations by the woman in the years leading up to her death, she blamed ongoing bouts of depression and multiple ... […]
- More U.S. mothers diagnosed with depression at childbirth on May 17, 2019 at 9:06 am
Growing numbers of new mothers are being diagnosed with depression before they leave the hospital with their newborns, according to a U.S. study that suggests screening women at childbirth could help ... […]
- British Study: Male Postnatal Depression Under-recognized, Under-appreciated on May 17, 2019 at 6:58 am
A new study from the UK shows that signs of postnatal depression in men is frequently not recognized. Researchers found that observers generally believed males were suffering from stress or tiredness. ... […]
- Danny Rose: Club Wanted to See I Was Not Crazy After Opening Up on Depression on May 17, 2019 at 3:02 am
Tottenham Hotspur left-back Danny Rose has revealed a club interested in him last summer wanted to check he was "not crazy" after he spoke publicly about suffering from depression. Rose opened up ... […]
- Chesapeake veteran, paralyzed and with cancer, overcomes his depression with help from loved ones on May 16, 2019 at 1:04 pm
Curtis Worsley has an infectious smile and a can-do attitude. He's a multi-talented performer who used to sing on the Spirit of Norfolk dinner cruise ship. He has a dream of running his own bakery ... […]
- New nasal spray can help treat depression, may be covered by insurance on May 16, 2019 at 5:50 am
HOUSTON - Ketamine is a common anesthesia drug that has been found helpful for people suffering from migraines, chronic pain and treatment-resistant depression. The biggest downside is it's very ... […]
via Bing News