Advance could reduce both annual energy consumption and cost.
While many advancements have been in improving its efficiency, the refrigerator still consumes considerable amounts of energy each year.
“Energy efficiency of a normal refrigerator is affected by the heat-insulating property of the thermal barriers of the freezer. This is due to its low inner temperature,” explained Jingyu Cao at the University of Science and Technology of China. “There is a significant difference in temperature between the freezer of a traditional refrigerator and ambient air temperature and the normal thermal barrier of the freezer causes considerable cold loss.”
Cao and his team hypothesized that using part of the cold loss to cool the fresh food compartment could be a promising solution in improving the efficiency of the refrigerator. They describe their findings in the Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy, from AIP Publishing.
“The evaporating temperature of the refrigeration cycle depends only on the freezer temperature and appropriate reduction of the evaporator area in the fresh food compartment will not decrease the overall efficiency,” explained Cao.
“Most families need one or two refrigerators and they are always on 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. That wastes a lot of energy. Even if we can save a little energy, that helps the human race be more energy-efficient,” said Cao.
Cao and his team are not the first scientists to attempt to improve the efficiency of household refrigeration. Extensive experiments by many different scientists have looked at various parts of the refrigerator to improve energy consumption, but a definitive solution has not yet been found. In Cao’s study, a novel refrigerator with a loop thermosyphon is put forward to decrease the heat transfer between the freezer and ambient air.
“One of the surprises was how much energy we saved. The energy-saving ratio of the improved walls got close to 30 percent — more than we had expected. This technology even works in hot climates like the desert.”
Although Cao’s study is currently based on theoretical calculation, the results are promising. “It has great potential to be popularized as a sustainable energy technology or applied in the renewable energy field, considering its significant energy-saving effect, simple structure and low cost,” said Cao.
The Latest on: Sustainable energy technology
via Google News
The Latest on: Sustainable energy technology
- Zions Bancorporation to Build Technology Campus in Midvale, Utah With a Focus on Sustainability and Cost Efficiencyon May 27, 2020 at 7:00 am
Zions Bancorporation, N.A. (NASDAQ: ZION) today announced that it will build a 400,000-square-foot technology campus in Midvale, Utah, on the former Sharon Steel Mill Environmental Protection Agency ...
- Cadenza Innovation Founder Explores Battery Technology's Critical Role in the Clean Energy Transitionon May 27, 2020 at 6:00 am
WILTON, Conn., May 27, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Cadenza Innovation, the award-winning lithium-ion (Li-ion) battery technology company, today announced that Founder and CEO Dr. Christina Lampe-Onnerud ...
- IEA World Energy Report: Global energy investment could fall by $400 billion this yearon May 27, 2020 at 5:19 am
The coronavirus pandemic may have slashed global carbon emissions but a historic slump in global energy investment this year could threaten climate goals in the longer term, according to a new report.
- Energy investment on pace for record decline, IEA analysis sayson May 27, 2020 at 5:16 am
Global energy investment could sink to its lowest level in history due to fallout from the coronavirus pandemic, the International Energy Agency said in an annual report Wednesday.
- Investing In The Power Grid’s Sustainable Future With Lithium-Ion Batterieson May 27, 2020 at 4:12 am
At the institutional level, major universities and corporations are slowly divesting their stake in fossil fuels, while at the retail level more investors are drawn to clean technology companies and ...
- Energy Management Systems Market to Reach $48,901.1 Million by 2026; High Demand for Novel Products to Boost Growth: Fortune Business Insights(TM)on May 27, 2020 at 3:22 am
The global energy management systems market is likely to gain momentum from the increasing adoption of efficient energy management solutions by numerous industries and organizations. This information ...
- IEA says the coronavirus crisis has set in motion the largest drop of global energy investment in historyon May 27, 2020 at 2:00 am
The IEA warned the economic impact of the health crisis could have "serious" implications for energy security and clean energy transitions.
- Biggest drop in global energy investment everon May 27, 2020 at 1:01 am
The coronavirus crisis been "staggering in both its scale and swiftness," warned the IEA in its annual World Energy Investment report, stating global energy investment will tumble by 20% - or ...
- Alliant Energy announces six new solar projects in Wisconsinon May 26, 2020 at 8:49 pm
Alliant Energy (LNT) announces plans to acquire and advance 675 megawatts (MW) of solar in mostly rural areas in six Wisconsin counties: Grant, Jefferson, Richland, Rock, Sheboygan and Wood. The ...
- Kontrol Energy to Obtain CE Certification for Its Building Automation Technologyon May 26, 2020 at 11:52 am
TORONTO, ON / ACCESSWIRE / May 26, 2020 / Kontrol Energy Corp. ( CSE:KNR)( OTCQB:KNRLF)( FSE:1K8) (“Kontrol” or “Company”) announces that following the successful completion of UL certification for ...
via Bing News