Advance could reduce both annual energy consumption and cost.
While many advancements have been in improving its efficiency, the refrigerator still consumes considerable amounts of energy each year.
“Energy efficiency of a normal refrigerator is affected by the heat-insulating property of the thermal barriers of the freezer. This is due to its low inner temperature,” explained Jingyu Cao at the University of Science and Technology of China. “There is a significant difference in temperature between the freezer of a traditional refrigerator and ambient air temperature and the normal thermal barrier of the freezer causes considerable cold loss.”
Cao and his team hypothesized that using part of the cold loss to cool the fresh food compartment could be a promising solution in improving the efficiency of the refrigerator. They describe their findings in the Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy, from AIP Publishing.
“The evaporating temperature of the refrigeration cycle depends only on the freezer temperature and appropriate reduction of the evaporator area in the fresh food compartment will not decrease the overall efficiency,” explained Cao.
“Most families need one or two refrigerators and they are always on 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. That wastes a lot of energy. Even if we can save a little energy, that helps the human race be more energy-efficient,” said Cao.
Cao and his team are not the first scientists to attempt to improve the efficiency of household refrigeration. Extensive experiments by many different scientists have looked at various parts of the refrigerator to improve energy consumption, but a definitive solution has not yet been found. In Cao’s study, a novel refrigerator with a loop thermosyphon is put forward to decrease the heat transfer between the freezer and ambient air.
“One of the surprises was how much energy we saved. The energy-saving ratio of the improved walls got close to 30 percent — more than we had expected. This technology even works in hot climates like the desert.”
Although Cao’s study is currently based on theoretical calculation, the results are promising. “It has great potential to be popularized as a sustainable energy technology or applied in the renewable energy field, considering its significant energy-saving effect, simple structure and low cost,” said Cao.
The Latest on: Sustainable energy technology
via Google News
The Latest on: Sustainable energy technology
- How this energy CEO is working to bring sustainable power to local businesseson May 29, 2020 at 7:18 am
Here's how #OUC's top exec wants to help charge up #Orlando firms. What local utility service does your #business use most? @OUCreliableone @oucthereliableone #Florida #energy #power #businessnews #lo ...
- Breakthrough at the ITER Fusion Reactor Paves Way for Energy Source That May Alter the Course of Civilization | Opinionon May 29, 2020 at 5:03 am
The ITER project, in construction in France, should light up in fifteen years and generate energy from the nuclear fusion reactions that occur in the Sun and the stars. From a scientific and ...
- The Path To The Covid Recovery Is Paved With Renewable Energyon May 29, 2020 at 12:13 am
Social entrepreneur Harish Hande reflects on the democratizing role of sustainable energy in the COVID recovery.
- The World’s Most Influential Energy Model Needs a Climate Updateon May 28, 2020 at 10:30 pm
The International Energy Agency marginalizes key climate goals in its research, according to an open letter from dozens of investors, business leaders, researchers and climate policy advocates. The ...
- Those Who Purchased China Titans Energy Technology Group (HKG:2188) Shares Five Years Ago Have A 73% Loss To Show For Iton May 28, 2020 at 8:24 pm
Some stocks are best avoided. We really hate to see fellow investors lose their hard-earned money. Spare a thought ...
- Neutrinovoltaics Produce Energy Even When Photovoltaics Failon May 28, 2020 at 5:08 pm
Combined with the non-visible spectrums that come from other stars, ethereal particles like Neutrinos bombard us from all directions throughout every moment of the day. Neutrino Energy Group scientist ...
- COVID-19 intensifies the urgency to expand sustainable energy solutions worldwideon May 27, 2020 at 9:11 pm
Despite accelerated progress over the past decade, the world will fall short of ensuring universal access to affordable, reliable, sustainable, and modern energy by 2030 unless efforts are scaled up ...
- IEA says the coronavirus crisis has set in motion the largest drop of global energy investment in historyon May 27, 2020 at 11:24 am
The IEA warned the economic impact of the health crisis could have "serious" implications for energy security and clean energy transitions.
- Why the Math Doesn’t Work for Chesapeake Energyon May 27, 2020 at 9:23 am
If you want to get a clear idea of what is awaiting Chesapeake Energy (NYSE:CHK), you only need to look at Hertz Gl ...
- Cadenza Innovation Founder Explores Battery Technology's Critical Role in the Clean Energy Transitionon May 27, 2020 at 6:00 am
WILTON, Conn., May 27, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Cadenza Innovation, the award-winning lithium-ion (Li-ion) battery technology company, today announced that Founder and CEO Dr. Christina Lampe-Onnerud ...
via Bing News