Advance could reduce both annual energy consumption and cost.
While many advancements have been in improving its efficiency, the refrigerator still consumes considerable amounts of energy each year.
“Energy efficiency of a normal refrigerator is affected by the heat-insulating property of the thermal barriers of the freezer. This is due to its low inner temperature,” explained Jingyu Cao at the University of Science and Technology of China. “There is a significant difference in temperature between the freezer of a traditional refrigerator and ambient air temperature and the normal thermal barrier of the freezer causes considerable cold loss.”
Cao and his team hypothesized that using part of the cold loss to cool the fresh food compartment could be a promising solution in improving the efficiency of the refrigerator. They describe their findings in the Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy, from AIP Publishing.
“The evaporating temperature of the refrigeration cycle depends only on the freezer temperature and appropriate reduction of the evaporator area in the fresh food compartment will not decrease the overall efficiency,” explained Cao.
“Most families need one or two refrigerators and they are always on 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. That wastes a lot of energy. Even if we can save a little energy, that helps the human race be more energy-efficient,” said Cao.
Cao and his team are not the first scientists to attempt to improve the efficiency of household refrigeration. Extensive experiments by many different scientists have looked at various parts of the refrigerator to improve energy consumption, but a definitive solution has not yet been found. In Cao’s study, a novel refrigerator with a loop thermosyphon is put forward to decrease the heat transfer between the freezer and ambient air.
“One of the surprises was how much energy we saved. The energy-saving ratio of the improved walls got close to 30 percent — more than we had expected. This technology even works in hot climates like the desert.”
Although Cao’s study is currently based on theoretical calculation, the results are promising. “It has great potential to be popularized as a sustainable energy technology or applied in the renewable energy field, considering its significant energy-saving effect, simple structure and low cost,” said Cao.
The Latest on: Sustainable energy technology
via Google News
The Latest on: Sustainable energy technology
- Forum Energy Technologies Inc (FET) Q2 2020 Earnings Call Transcripton August 7, 2020 at 4:49 pm
Good morning, everyone, and welcome to Forum Energy Technologies Second Quarter 2020 Earnings Conference Call. With me today are Cris Gaut, Forum's Chairman and Chief Executive Officer; and Neal Lux, ...
- Clearway Energy, Inc (CWEN) Q2 2020 Earnings Call Transcripton August 7, 2020 at 2:11 pm
Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for standing by and welcome to the Clearway Energy, Inc. second quarter 2020 earnings conference call. [Operator Instructions] After the speakers' presentation, there ...
- Are Artificial Surf Parks Sustainable?on August 7, 2020 at 1:19 pm
Constructing a surf park is an incredibly resource-intensive undertaking even if everything is done “right.” The cost of constructing a wave pool (including the surrounding facility) falls in the ...
- Geothermal project in England secures funding to help pilot lithium-extraction technologyon August 7, 2020 at 11:44 am
Cornish Lithium's work is centered around the extraction of lithium from geothermal brines. A £4 million ($5.23 million) project in southwest England has secured funding to help pilot the extraction ...
- New DOE grant to develop catalysts for renewable energy generationon August 7, 2020 at 9:19 am
A new DOE grant led by Wayne State University aims to address the need for new catalysts used for renewable energy generation and storage.
- Sustainable Finance Sees Big-Tech Boom After Record Google Dealon August 7, 2020 at 8:10 am
Technology giants may join the rush to sustainable finance after this week’s record bond sale from Google parent Alphabet Inc. Issuance aligns with growing investor focus on social and environmental ...
- Energy Harvesting System Market Size, Share, Key Drivers and Top Manufacturers Forecast Till 2026 | Fortune Business Insightson August 6, 2020 at 11:31 pm
The global energy harvesting system market is projected to gain impetus from the increasing adoption of renewable ...
- Hannon Armstrong Sustainable Infrastructure Capital, Inc. (HASI) CEO Jeff Eckel on Q2 2020 Results - Earnings Call Transcripton August 6, 2020 at 8:41 pm
Q2 2020 Earnings Conference Call August 06, 2020 5:00 PM ET Company Participants Chad Reed - Vice President Investor Relations & ESG Jeff Eckel - Chairman & Chief Executive Officer Jeff Lipson - Chief ...
- Global Gas Industry Set to Resume Growth Post-Pandemic, Adopt Low-Carbon Technologies for Long-Term Growthon August 6, 2020 at 5:49 am
After growing by more than 2% in 2019, global gas use is set to fall by around 4% in 2020, as the Covid-19 pandemic reduces energy consumption across the global economies. However, the resulting low ...
- Asia Pacific Waste to Energy Market Size to Witness Huge Growth by 2025on August 5, 2020 at 10:56 pm
Selbyville, Delaware According to the research report titled 'Asia Pacific Waste to Energy Market Analysis, 2020', available with Market Study Report LLC, Asia-Pacific waste to energy market is ...
via Bing News