Advance could reduce both annual energy consumption and cost.
While many advancements have been in improving its efficiency, the refrigerator still consumes considerable amounts of energy each year.
“Energy efficiency of a normal refrigerator is affected by the heat-insulating property of the thermal barriers of the freezer. This is due to its low inner temperature,” explained Jingyu Cao at the University of Science and Technology of China. “There is a significant difference in temperature between the freezer of a traditional refrigerator and ambient air temperature and the normal thermal barrier of the freezer causes considerable cold loss.”
Cao and his team hypothesized that using part of the cold loss to cool the fresh food compartment could be a promising solution in improving the efficiency of the refrigerator. They describe their findings in the Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy, from AIP Publishing.
“The evaporating temperature of the refrigeration cycle depends only on the freezer temperature and appropriate reduction of the evaporator area in the fresh food compartment will not decrease the overall efficiency,” explained Cao.
“Most families need one or two refrigerators and they are always on 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. That wastes a lot of energy. Even if we can save a little energy, that helps the human race be more energy-efficient,” said Cao.
Cao and his team are not the first scientists to attempt to improve the efficiency of household refrigeration. Extensive experiments by many different scientists have looked at various parts of the refrigerator to improve energy consumption, but a definitive solution has not yet been found. In Cao’s study, a novel refrigerator with a loop thermosyphon is put forward to decrease the heat transfer between the freezer and ambient air.
“One of the surprises was how much energy we saved. The energy-saving ratio of the improved walls got close to 30 percent — more than we had expected. This technology even works in hot climates like the desert.”
Although Cao’s study is currently based on theoretical calculation, the results are promising. “It has great potential to be popularized as a sustainable energy technology or applied in the renewable energy field, considering its significant energy-saving effect, simple structure and low cost,” said Cao.
The Latest on: Sustainable energy technology
via Google News
The Latest on: Sustainable energy technology
- Canada Invests in Clean Mining Technology in Quebec Cityon August 10, 2020 at 8:19 am
Canada's mining and minerals industry is important to communities across the country. Developing Canada's natural resources in more sustainable and responsible ways drives our economy, reduces our ...
- Breakthrough technology purifies water using the power of sunlighton August 10, 2020 at 8:05 am
A research team, led by Australia's Monash University, has been able to transform brackish water and seawater into safe, clean drinking water in less than 30 minutes using metal-organic frameworks ...
- EPRI and GTI Launch Initiative to Accelerate Low-Carbon Energy Technologieson August 10, 2020 at 7:00 am
PRNewswire/ -- The Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) and Gas Technology Institute (GTI) are embarking on a five-year initiative to accelerate ...
- Plummeting Renewable Energy, Battery Prices Mean China Could Hit 62% Clean Power And Cut Costs 11% By 2030on August 10, 2020 at 4:16 am
Plummeting renewable energy and battery prices mean China, the world's biggest greenhouse gas emitter, can hit 62% clean power by 2030 - 11% cheaper than business-as-usual.
- Forum Energy Technologies, Inc. (FET) CEO Cris Gaut on Q2 2020 Results - Earnings Call Transcripton August 9, 2020 at 1:36 pm
Q2 2020 Earnings Conference Call August 7, 2020 10:00 AM ET Company Participants Cris Gaut - Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Lyle Williams - Chief Financial Officer Neal Lux - Executive Vice ...
- Forum Energy Technologies Inc (FET) Q2 2020 Earnings Call Transcripton August 7, 2020 at 4:49 pm
Good morning, everyone, and welcome to Forum Energy Technologies Second Quarter 2020 Earnings Conference Call. With me today are Cris Gaut, Forum's Chairman and Chief Executive Officer; and Neal Lux, ...
- Geothermal project in England secures funding to help pilot lithium-extraction technologyon August 7, 2020 at 11:44 am
Cornish Lithium's work is centered around the extraction of lithium from geothermal brines. A £4 million ($5.23 million) project in southwest England has secured funding to help pilot the extraction ...
- New DOE grant to develop catalysts for renewable energy generationon August 7, 2020 at 9:19 am
A new DOE grant led by Wayne State University aims to address the need for new catalysts used for renewable energy generation and storage.
- Sustainable Finance Sees Big-Tech Boom After Record Google Dealon August 7, 2020 at 8:10 am
Technology giants may join the rush to sustainable finance after this week’s record bond sale from Google parent Alphabet Inc. Issuance aligns with growing investor focus on social and environmental ...
- Blockchain Startup EVShare Participates in $20M Renewables Project Funded by California Energy Commissionon August 7, 2020 at 6:00 am
The project is built on Bitcoin-powered smart contract platform RSK and its RSK Infrastructure Framework (RIF) technologies. LOS ANGELES, CA / ACCESSWIRE / August 7, 2020 / EVShare, a blockchain-based ...
via Bing News