Hiding an object from heat-sensing cameras could be useful for military and technology applications as well as for research.
Efforts to develop such a method have been underway for decades with varying degrees of success. Now, researchers report in ACS Nano that they have fabricated an inexpensive, easy-to-produce film that makes objects completely invisible to infrared detectors.
Several prior systems have been developed to mask the difference in temperature between an object and its surroundings. But each of these alternatives has weaknesses, such as difficulty in making the devices, the need for a power supply, the use of rigid materials or the addition of thick and heavy thermal blankets that can lead to heat buildup. Xuetong Zhang and colleagues wanted to find a better way.
The researchers fabricated an aerogel film made of DuPont™ Kevlar® fibers. By itself, the aerogel turned out to be a good thermal insulator, but the researchers enhanced its capabilities by coating its fibers with polyethylene glycol (PEG) and a protective waterproof layer. PEG stores heat when it melts and releases heat when it solidifies. In simulated sunlight, the composite film covering an object soaked up heat from the sun while only slowly increasing in temperature, just like the surroundings, making the object invisible to a thermal camera. When the light was turned off to simulate night, the coating gradually surrendered its stored heat energy to match the surroundings. Without the coating, the object heated up or cooled off much faster than its environment, making it visible. In a second type of application, a combined structure consisting of aerogel films and the PEG composite film could hide hot targets from a thermal camera. The researchers say their film performs comparably to other stealth films but is simpler and cheaper to make.
Learn more: Now you see heat, now you don’t
The Latest on: Stealth films
via Google News
The Latest on: Stealth films
- First F-35C Stealth Fighter Pilots Have Graduated Top Gunon June 24, 2020 at 7:57 am
This is the first time that TOPGUN students graduated from the program using a syllabus that was developed from the ground up specifically for the F-35C integrated operations.
- Master the Katana in Ghost of Tsushima – launches July 17th on PS4on June 24, 2020 at 2:42 am
Next month the highly anticipated game Ghost of Tsushima will be launching exclusively on the PlayStation 4. Offering a single player stealth action ...
- Disjunction hands-on preview: Hardboiled stealthon June 18, 2020 at 9:05 am
Ape Tribe Games' Disjunction throws players into a cyberpunk world as a detective on a case and where stealth is just as viable as going in guns blazing.
- Desperados 3 Is A Modern Stealth Masterpieceon June 17, 2020 at 7:25 pm
I can’t speak highly enough of Desperados 3. It’s almost the perfect stealth experience, tense but not terrifying, empowering but not easy.
- Black Ops (Movie Review)on June 16, 2020 at 7:36 am
Arrow in the Head's The Iceman reviews Black Ops. Starring Samantha Schnitzler, Bentley Kalu, Toby Osmond, and Shayne Ward.
- The super-thin 17-inch GS75 Stealth from MSI is the ultimate portable laptop powerhouseon June 16, 2020 at 3:57 am
SPONSORED REVIEW MSI’s GS75 Stealth laptop is a special beast, and MSI knows it. Eschewing the familiar black and red livery for diamond-cut, gold edging, dragon logo and hinge details, the GS75 looks ...
- Serial Cleaners is a Stealth Action Crime Story, Launches for Consoles and PC in 2021 - Newson June 14, 2020 at 5:41 am
Draw Distance has announced single-player stealth action crime story, Serial Cleaners, for the Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, [...] ...
- Serial Cleaners Is Stealth Action For PS4 And Possibly PS5on June 13, 2020 at 4:19 pm
Draw Distance has announced Serial Cleaners for PS4 and possibly PS5, with a brand new trailer showcaing the stealth action of the series.
- Strongsville comic book creator has high hopes for superhero Stealth Hammeron June 12, 2020 at 11:58 am
Ryan Drost, a Strongsville resident with ties to the professional comic book community, continues his efforts to introduce the world to a new superhero, Stealth Hammer.
- An Underrated Stealth Game Is Now Completely Free To Downloadon June 12, 2020 at 11:15 am
An often overlooked and underrated stealth title is now completely free to download, and it's well worth checking out if you've never played it.
via Bing News