Hiding an object from heat-sensing cameras could be useful for military and technology applications as well as for research.
Efforts to develop such a method have been underway for decades with varying degrees of success. Now, researchers report in ACS Nano that they have fabricated an inexpensive, easy-to-produce film that makes objects completely invisible to infrared detectors.
Several prior systems have been developed to mask the difference in temperature between an object and its surroundings. But each of these alternatives has weaknesses, such as difficulty in making the devices, the need for a power supply, the use of rigid materials or the addition of thick and heavy thermal blankets that can lead to heat buildup. Xuetong Zhang and colleagues wanted to find a better way.
The researchers fabricated an aerogel film made of DuPont™ Kevlar® fibers. By itself, the aerogel turned out to be a good thermal insulator, but the researchers enhanced its capabilities by coating its fibers with polyethylene glycol (PEG) and a protective waterproof layer. PEG stores heat when it melts and releases heat when it solidifies. In simulated sunlight, the composite film covering an object soaked up heat from the sun while only slowly increasing in temperature, just like the surroundings, making the object invisible to a thermal camera. When the light was turned off to simulate night, the coating gradually surrendered its stored heat energy to match the surroundings. Without the coating, the object heated up or cooled off much faster than its environment, making it visible. In a second type of application, a combined structure consisting of aerogel films and the PEG composite film could hide hot targets from a thermal camera. The researchers say their film performs comparably to other stealth films but is simpler and cheaper to make.
Learn more: Now you see heat, now you don’t
The Latest on: Stealth films
via Google News
The Latest on: Stealth films
- New Spider-Man: Far From Home spot focuses on Spidey's many costume changes on June 18, 2019 at 8:37 am
The spot doesn’t name each suit, like the Iron Spider or Stealth suit, instead just going "Original, New, Newer and Newest". As we saw from the last full trailer, it seems Peter is rocking the Iron ... […]
- Race is on to bring broadband to outer boroughs on June 18, 2019 at 4:00 am
That kind of speed is enough to stream movies on Netflix but not enough to manage the ... Shrihari Pandit founded Stealth Communications in 1995 to provide internet services for Manhattan offices. Six ... […]
- A new 'Spider-Man: Far From Home' TV spot shows off Tom Holland's comics-inspired wardrobe on June 17, 2019 at 6:00 pm
First, the newer suit is Spider-Man’s new Stealth Suit, which is a gift from Nick Fury (Samuel ... Last week I reported for Deseret News that the film is expected to make more than $150 million, ... […]
- The 30 best horror movies that will haunt you long after the credits roll on June 17, 2019 at 12:21 pm
The best horror movies stealth into that shadowy bit in the back of your brain that never gets dusted and lurk there until you’ve turned off the light. Then, and only then do these monsters come out ... […]
- Ace Parenthood With The Must-Have Flipz® Ja-HACK-et™ Designed To Hack Summertime Movie Snacking on June 17, 2019 at 6:08 am
Equipped with six secret pockets, this custom jacket is specifically designed to help parents everywhere hack one of their favorite times to snack - at the movies - with simplicity and stealth. ... […]
- SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME TV Spot Puts The Spotlight On The Wall-Crawler's Four Different Suits on June 17, 2019 at 3:10 am
There's the classic red and blue suit from Homecoming, his Iron Spider armour, the new stealth costume, and the Advanced suit ... different year in Peter Parker's high school life going from film to ... […]
- A U.S. Air Force F-22 Raptor Totally Flew Underneath an Iranian F-4 Phantom on June 15, 2019 at 1:31 pm
It would be interesting to know how the Raptors managed to remain in stealth. Did the pilots use ... A happy ending worthy of an action movie. ... […]
- Spider-Man: Far From Home Chinese Posters Are the Film's Best Promos Yet on June 13, 2019 at 4:01 pm
A trio of Chinese banners for the film have made their way online, which showcase two new looks at Peter Parker's (Tom Holland) black-and-red suit, the Iron Spider suit, and his "stealth suit". ... […]
- Stealth Experience Espire 1: VR Operative Dated for August Launch on June 10, 2019 at 6:58 pm
Hoping to become the definitive VR stealth videogame, Espire 1: VR Operative puts you in the role of a drone operator, not some little flying device to film scenic views but a fully remote-controlled ... […]
- ‘Endgame’ Writer Reveals Iron Man Almost Time Traveled to the Worst MCU Movie on June 8, 2019 at 5:04 pm
“So that sent Tony to Asgard, and he had an invisible stealth suit, and he fought Heimdall ... ‘Why don’t we go in to Avengers? It’s the biggest movie, it’s the most fun, let’s go,'” he added. Though ... […]
via Bing News