Computational analysis of epigenetic patterns facilitates diagnosis of unknown hereditary disorders
A new sophisticated computational model, developed by scientists at Lawson Health Research Institute, is bringing an innovative method of diagnosing rare hereditary conditions.
Genome-wide testing of DNA methylation, a mechanism of the epigenome, has been shown to facilitate the diagnosis of previously unsolved cases of neurodevelopmental or congenital abnormalities. The epigenome is any process that can change the expression of a gene without changing the gene sequence.
The latest in a series of research publications around the theme of epigenomic testing applied the new pattern recognition model to DNA samples of 965 patients with neurodevelopmental and congenital anomalies that did not have a definitive diagnosis despite extensive clinical genetic testing. Their DNA, acquired through blood samples, was examined using the new model, and dozens of new cases were resolved.
Current testing of patients who present with neurodevelopmental and congenital anomalies leaves a number of cases undiagnosed or unexplained. “Many families spend years going through repeated testing and assessments, in search of a diagnosis. This process is hard on patients and families, and is a great cost to our health care system,” explains Dr. Bekim Sadikovic, Associate Scientist at Lawson, and Head of the Molecular Genetics Division in the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, London Health Sciences Centre (LHSC).
While currently there are limited treatment options associated with many of these conditions, providing a specific diagnosis can help physicians better predict the course of the disease, allowing for better planning and support for the patient. This research highlights the value of epigenomic testing in the routine assessment of neurodevelopmental and congenital disorders.
From this research, LHSC will be the first site in the world to offer this type of genetic testing. “We are excited to make this testing accessible to local patients, and across the world. Our lab has partnered and licensed this technology to Greenwood Genetics Laboratories in the United States and Amsterdam University Medical Centre Laboratories in the European Union”, says Dr. Sadikovic. 100 per cent of revenue will be funneled back to support local testing for patients and ongoing research.
Learn more: Research leads to new molecular diagnostic tool
The Latest on: Molecular diagnostic tool
via Google News
The Latest on: Molecular diagnostic tool
- Molecular Diagnostics Market Size, Share and Growth Analysis to surpass a $21,716.83 million valuation by 2026on November 26, 2020 at 4:00 pm
The global molecular diagnostics market size was valued at $12,134.69 million in 2019 and is projected to reach $21,716.83 million by 2026, registering a CAGR of 8.67% from 2020 to 2026. Request a ...
- Fact.MR Report: What Is the Impact of Coronavirus on PCR and Real-Time PCR Molecular Diagnostics Market Growth?on November 25, 2020 at 9:02 am
The PCR and real-time PCR molecular diagnostics market reached a valuation of US$ 2 Bn in 2019 growing at a very strong rate through 2030. The coronavirus pandemic is expected to bolster demand in the ...
- Global Companion Animal Diagnostics Market 2020-2026 - Rising Demand for Fully Automated and Semi-Automated Diagnostic Testson November 25, 2020 at 7:45 am
The "Companion Animal Diagnostics Market By animal Type, By Application, By Technology, By End User, By Geography" report has been added ...
- Point of Care Molecular Diagnostics Market Global Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Growth, Opportunities and Market Forecast 2020 to 2027on November 23, 2020 at 5:12 am
The Global Point of Care Molecular Diagnostics Market is estimated to value over USD 1.7 billion by 2027 end at ...
- Join our Conference on Molecular Imaging and Clinical PET–CT, Begins Tuesday Onlineon November 20, 2020 at 11:05 am
In the IAEA’s last conference of the year, medical imaging will take the virtual centre stage. The-CT in the Era of Theranostics (IPET-2020) will take place Tuesday to Thursday, 24-26 November. The ...
- PCR and Real-time PCR Molecular Diagnostics Market Driven by Advancements in Oncology Diagnostics: Fact.MRon November 20, 2020 at 1:42 am
PCR and real-time PCR molecular diagnostics service providers are investing in research towards antimicrobial resistance genes to anticipate the growing threat of antibiotic resistant microbes.
- Global Companion Animal Diagnostics Market 2020-2026 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon November 18, 2020 at 7:41 am
The Companion Animal Diagnostics Market is growing at a CAGR of 8.82% during the forecast period of 2020-2026. “Companion Animal Diagnostics Market By animal Type, By Application, By Technology, By ...
- Oncocyte Presents New Data on Its DetermaIO™ Test at Association for Molecular Pathology (AMP) 2020 Conferenceon November 18, 2020 at 5:20 am
Data demonstratethat DetermaIO™ can be run successfully using limitedtissue fromsmall biopsy specimens, overcoming the significant challenges ...
- Insights on the PCR & Real-time PCR Molecular Diagnostics Global Market to 2030 - Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic - ResearchAndMarkets.comon November 17, 2020 at 9:53 am
Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2020 - 2030" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
- Co-Diagnostics, Inc. Receives CE Markings for "ABC" and SARS-CoV-2 2-Gene Multiplex Testson November 17, 2020 at 3:30 am
Diagnostics, Inc., a molecular diagnostics company with a unique, patented platform for the development of molecular diagnostic tests, announced today that its Logix Smart™ ABC and its Logix Smart™ ...
via Bing News