Computational analysis of epigenetic patterns facilitates diagnosis of unknown hereditary disorders
A new sophisticated computational model, developed by scientists at Lawson Health Research Institute, is bringing an innovative method of diagnosing rare hereditary conditions.
Genome-wide testing of DNA methylation, a mechanism of the epigenome, has been shown to facilitate the diagnosis of previously unsolved cases of neurodevelopmental or congenital abnormalities. The epigenome is any process that can change the expression of a gene without changing the gene sequence.
The latest in a series of research publications around the theme of epigenomic testing applied the new pattern recognition model to DNA samples of 965 patients with neurodevelopmental and congenital anomalies that did not have a definitive diagnosis despite extensive clinical genetic testing. Their DNA, acquired through blood samples, was examined using the new model, and dozens of new cases were resolved.
Current testing of patients who present with neurodevelopmental and congenital anomalies leaves a number of cases undiagnosed or unexplained. “Many families spend years going through repeated testing and assessments, in search of a diagnosis. This process is hard on patients and families, and is a great cost to our health care system,” explains Dr. Bekim Sadikovic, Associate Scientist at Lawson, and Head of the Molecular Genetics Division in the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, London Health Sciences Centre (LHSC).
While currently there are limited treatment options associated with many of these conditions, providing a specific diagnosis can help physicians better predict the course of the disease, allowing for better planning and support for the patient. This research highlights the value of epigenomic testing in the routine assessment of neurodevelopmental and congenital disorders.
From this research, LHSC will be the first site in the world to offer this type of genetic testing. “We are excited to make this testing accessible to local patients, and across the world. Our lab has partnered and licensed this technology to Greenwood Genetics Laboratories in the United States and Amsterdam University Medical Centre Laboratories in the European Union”, says Dr. Sadikovic. 100 per cent of revenue will be funneled back to support local testing for patients and ongoing research.
Learn more: Research leads to new molecular diagnostic tool
The Latest on: Molecular diagnostic tool
via Google News
The Latest on: Molecular diagnostic tool
- New Segment of Innovations to Focus on Breakthrough Biomedical Technologies on April 17, 2019 at 4:00 am
Ltd. (Credo Biomedical), a molecular diagnostic company from ... you no longer need to make tradeoffs between diagnostic tool performance and cost." Audiences will be educated about the importance ... […]
- Infectious Disease Diagnostics Market Growth Rate, Trending Factors and Industry Size 2026 on April 17, 2019 at 2:37 am
These companies are taking efforts to develop and commercialize cost effective tools for the infectious disease ... However, these test are expected to replace by molecular techniques in future. ... […]
- Molecular Diagnostics Market: Industry Size, Segments Overview, Business outlook, Trends, Global Forecast 2025 on April 17, 2019 at 1:51 am
Compared with conventional culture-based techniques, molecular diagnostic approaches provide substantially ... of data with Stratview Research’s internal database and statistical tools. More than ... […]
- Bruker and the Translational Metabolic Lab At Radboud University Announce the Establishment of A Joint Center of Excellence for Translational Omics on April 16, 2019 at 10:17 am
Our research infrastructure consists of 18 Technology Centers and 3 research institutes: the Radboud Institute for Molecular Life Sciences ... themes each aiming to develop tools for individualizing ... […]
- Seven Bridges Selected by DDL Diagnostic Laboratory to Streamline Next-Generation Sequencing Analysis Workflow Development on April 11, 2019 at 8:30 am
DDL, a state-of-the-art laboratory specializing in molecular diagnostic testing and assay ... with DDL's current pipeline management tool. By utilizing the Seven Bridges Platform on the back ... […]
- Asia-Pacific In Vitro Diagnostics Market: Industry Size, Segments Overview, Business outlook, Trends, Global Forecast 2023 on April 11, 2019 at 5:17 am
Besides POC, Molecular diagnostic is also gaining focus and would be one of ... Validation and triangulation of data with Stratview Research’s internal database and statistical tools. • More than ... […]
- Life Molecular Imaging Applauds the Publication of the IDEAS Study Aim… on April 8, 2019 at 7:17 am
Life Molecular Imaging’s (LMI ... The Aim I results of the IDEAS Study further support the need for a precise diagnostic tool in the clinical routine and add to the growing body of evidence to support ... […]
- Promising diagnostic, prognostic tools for onset and progression of ALS on April 5, 2019 at 5:42 am
Research led by these investigators and published online in Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences by Springer ... in retinal ganglion neurons can be explored as diagnostic and prognostic tools for the ... […]
- QIAGEN And LabCorp Launch Collaboration To Provide Day-One Access For Patients To Innovative Companion Diagnostics At The Time Of Drug Approvals on April 5, 2019 at 1:18 am
LabCorp is the latest company to join the program, and its expertise in the commercial use of companion diagnostics will help a broader range of patients gain access to innovative tools for precision ... […]
- Molecular Diagnostics Market in-Depth Analysis with Key Players BioMérieux, DiaSorin, Grifols, Qiagen on April 4, 2019 at 10:01 pm
The forecast is analyzed based on the volume and revenue of this market. The tools used for analyzing the Global Molecular Diagnostics Market research report include SWOT analysis. For Early Buyers | ... […]
via Bing News