About 2.5 billion gallons of produced water, a byproduct from the oil refinery and extraction process, is generated each day in the United States.
Handling that water is a major challenge in the oil refinery industry, particularly because it is deemed unusable for household and commercial use by the Environmental Protection Agency because of remaining contaminants. Several commercial treatments are available, but they are expensive, do not remove all traces of contaminants from water and can be energy-intensive.
Now, Purdue University researchers have developed a process to remove nearly all traces of oil in produced water. The process uses activated charcoal foam and subjects it to solar light to produce heat and purify the water. The foam absorbs the oil contaminants from the water.
The Purdue process was presented during the annual conference for the Produced Water Society in February.
“This is a simple, clean and inexpensive treatment process,” said Ashreet Mishra, a graduate research assistant at the Purdue University Northwest Water Institute. “I have seen in my home country of India how people suffer for the want of pure water, and we, as researchers, need to do as much as we can to help.”
The Purdue team’s process also meets all EPA standards for clean water from industrial sources and had a total organic carbon of 7.5 milligrams per liter. Mishra said another advantage is that the oil absorbed by the foam can be recovered efficiently. The Purdue researchers were able to recover up to 95 percent of the oil that was absorbed.
“This is the first-of-its kind method to do this purification in a single step simultaneously via a perforated foam,” Mishra said. “Our process is able to address the cost and energy aspects of the problem.”
Mishra said the Purdue process could be integrated with existing disposal systems to purify a large amount of water and reduce the current stress on water grids.
The Latest on: Removing oil from water
via Google News
The Latest on: Removing oil from water
- Black Friday beauty deals 2020: Offers from Boots, Fenty, Urban Decay, Huda Beauty and moreon November 29, 2020 at 2:00 am
Calling all beauty-lovers, Black Friday 2020 is finally here, and it’s time to bag a bargain across thousands of your favourite brands. Perhaps you’re looking to restock your favourite skincare stash, ...
- Trump Administration Moves Ahead on Removing Bird Protectionson November 27, 2020 at 12:05 pm
The Trump administration moved forward Friday on removing long-standing federal protection for the nation's birds, over objections from former federal officials and many scientists that billions more ...
- Innovative Carbon Capture Solutions Proposed To Help Achieve Net-Zero Worldon November 25, 2020 at 6:40 pm
Increasingly, climate experts are saying that the world must achieve net-zero emissions – by removing all manmade greenhouse gases from the atmosphere – in order to stave off the worst effects of ...
- How You Can Easily Remove Sticker Residue From Tough Surfaceson November 24, 2020 at 7:39 am
I’m not sure when it happened or who’s to blame, but at some point in time, stickers started appearing everywhere. And now, every single item purchased—tools, books, wine bottles, furniture, frying ...
- Our 10 best Thanksgiving recipes from the past 20 yearson November 24, 2020 at 3:44 am
We dug through The Press Democrat archives to offer up Thanksgiving recipes that rise to the top with their bold and unforgettable flavors.
- DEC: Oil spilled into Bronx River contained, didn’t affect drinking wateron November 21, 2020 at 5:29 pm
The state Department of Environmental Conservation says an oil spill that reached the Bronx River has been contained and didn’t affect local drinking water.
- US Coast Guard Manages Oil Cleanup from Sunken Tugboat in St. Croixon November 18, 2020 at 1:11 pm
The US Coast Guard responded to reports of an abandoned tugboat that was sinking in the harbor of an industrial park on the island of St. Croix in the US Virgin Islands. Coast Guard pollution teams ...
- The Best Cleansing Oil For Keeping Skin Clear and Hydrated, According to Dermson November 13, 2020 at 4:01 pm
To help you navigate the decision, we asked derms to weigh in on what, exactly, you should be looking for in an oil-based face wash. Read on for everything you need to know about adding one into ...
- 10 Best Micellar Waters To Remove Makeup and Cleanse Your Skinon October 27, 2020 at 6:28 pm
If you have oily skin, you're probably thinking that a micellar water won't be enough to remove your makeup and ... like a magnet to suck up dirt, excess oil, and makeup to leave your skin matte ...
- Nearly 21 tons of oily debris collected from Delaware Bay oil spill, culprit still unknownon October 23, 2020 at 4:52 pm
“We are combing the beaches and, shovel by shovel, removing the tar ... us take the cleanup onto the water,” Garvin said. Earlier in the week, DNREC said the oil was a "heavy fuel oil" likely ...
via Bing News