A research team led by Tohoku University in Japan has developed new materials for supercapacitors with higher voltage and better stability than other materials. Their research was recently published in the journal Energy and Environmental Science.
Supercapacitors are rechargeable energy storage devices with a broad range of applications, from machinery to smart meters. They offer many advantages over batteries, including faster charging and longer lifespans, but they are not so good at storing lots of energy.
Scientists have long been looking for high-performance materials for supercapacitors that can meet the requirements for energy-intensive applications such as cars. “It is very challenging to find materials which can both operate at high-voltage and remain stable under harsh conditions,” says Hirotomo Nishihara, materials scientist at Tohoku University and co-author of the paper.
Nishihara and his colleagues collaborated with the supercapacitor production company TOC Capacitor Co. to develop a new material that exhibits extraordinarily high stability under conditions of high voltage and high temperature.
Conventionally, activated carbons are used for the electrodes in capacitors, but these are limited by low voltage in single cells, the building blocks that make up capacitors. This means that a large number of cells must be stacked together to achieve the required voltage. Crucially, the new material has higher single-cell voltage, reducing the stacking number and allowing devices to be more compact.
The new material is a sheet made from a continuous three-dimensional framework of graphene mesosponge, a carbon-based material containing nanoscale pores. A key feature of the materials is that it is seamless – it contains a very small amount of carbon edges, the sites where corrosion reactions originate, and this makes it extremely stable.
The researchers investigated the physical properties of their new material using electron microscopy and a range of physical tests, including X-ray diffraction and vibrational spectroscopy techniques. They also tested commercial graphene-based materials, including single-walled carbon nanotubes, reduced graphene oxides, and 3D graphene, using activated carbons as a benchmark for comparison.
They showed that the material had excellent stability at high temperatures of 60 °C and high voltage of 3.5 volts in a conventional organic electrolyte. Significantly, it showed ultra-high stability at 25°C and 4.4 volts – 2.7 times higher than conventional activated carbons and other graphene-based materials. “This is a world record for voltage stability of carbon materials in a symmetric supercapacitor,” says Nishihara.
The new material paves the way for development of highly durable, high-voltage supercapacitors that could be used for many applications, including motor vehicles.
Learn more: New materials for high-voltage supercapacitors
The Latest on: Supercapacitors
via Google News
The Latest on: Supercapacitors
- Global Supercapacitor Market Estimated to Reach a Value of $3.5 Billion by 2025 with a CAGR of 20% - ResearchAndMarkets.comon January 30, 2020 at 6:45 am
The "Supercapacitor Market Report: Trends, Forecast and Competitive Analysis" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The supercapacitor market is forecast to reach $3.5 billion by ...
- Can advancements in 4G/5G communications combined with strides in energy efficiency in smart devices accelerate the IoT revolution?on January 29, 2020 at 2:45 pm
Housed in 20mm x 20mm x 0.4mm packages, the components in Murata’s DMH series of ultra-thin supercapacitors each exhibit 35mF capacitance across an operational temperature range of -40°C to 85°C. They ...
- Supercapacitor Market Study, 2014-2025 - Promising Opportunities in the Transportation, Industrial, Consumer Electronics, and Energy Industrieson January 28, 2020 at 8:07 am
The "Supercapacitor Market Report: Trends, Forecast and Competitive Analysis" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
- $3.5Bn Supercapacitor Market by End-use Industry, Product Type, Voltage Type, and Region - Forecast to 2025on January 28, 2020 at 3:39 am
Dublin, Jan. 28, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The "Supercapacitor Market Report: Trends, Forecast and Competitive Analysis" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The global ...
- New Graphene supercapacitor will boost energy in defence applicationson January 24, 2020 at 8:31 pm
Supercapacitors, also known as ultra-capacitors are electrochemical devices used for the storage of electrical energy, whose popularity is growing rapidly. The activated carbon is an expensive ...
- Nanoelectrode design from microminiaturized honeycomb monolith with ultrathin and stiff nanoscaffold for high-energy micro-supercapacitorson January 15, 2020 at 7:29 am
Downsizing the cell size of honeycomb monoliths to nanoscale would offer high freedom of nanostructure design beyond their capability for broad applications in different fields. However, the ...
- New technology for pre-replenishing lithium for lithium ion supercapacitorson January 14, 2020 at 7:06 am
Lithium nitride is a well-known positive pre-lithiation additive that can be used to compensate for the irreversible lithium loss that occurs on the negative side during the first charge, thereby ...
- Nanoscale Advances Lead to Big Power for Supercapacitorson January 9, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Supercapacitors store charge when electrolyte ions collect on high-surface-area electrodes. • High-performance supercapacitors’ fast energy uptake and discharge can complement and prolong ...
- Global Graphene Supercapacitors Market 2024 : Capacity and Commercial Production Date, Manufacturing Plants Distributionon January 7, 2020 at 10:30 pm
Jan 08, 2020 (The Expresswire) -- Global Graphene Supercapacitors market report Provides a quantitative analysis of the current trends and estimations to identify the prevailing market opportunities.
- Supercapacitors Market Latest Advancement And New Upcoming Trends To 2029on January 7, 2020 at 10:26 pm
Jan 08, 2020 (WiredRelease via COMTEX) -- A recent market research analysis titled, Supercapacitors Market offers insightful information to the clients escalating their basic leadership size ...
via Bing News