Vaccines have saved millions of lives, but nobody likes getting a shot. That’s why scientists are trying to develop oral vaccines for infectious diseases.
But to be effective, the vaccine must survive digestion and reach immune cells within the intestinal wall. Now, researchers reporting in the ACS journal Nano Letters have developed oral vaccines powered by micromotors that target the mucus layer of the intestine.
In addition to avoiding needles, oral vaccines can generate a broader immune response by stimulating immune cells within the mucus layer of the intestine to produce a special class of antibody called immunoglobulin A (IgA). Joseph Wang, Liangfang Zhang and colleagues wondered if they could use magnesium particles as tiny motors to deliver an oral vaccine against the bacterial pathogen Staphylococcus aureus. When coated over most of their surfaces with titanium dioxide, magnesium microparticles use water as fuel to generate hydrogen bubbles that power their propulsion.
To develop the oral vaccine, the researchers coated magnesium micromotors with red blood cell membranes that displayed the Staphylococcal ?-toxin, along with a layer of chitosan to help them stick to the intestinal mucus. Then, they added an enteric coating that protects drugs from the acidic conditions of the stomach. When given orally to mice, the micromotors safely passed through the stomach, and then the enteric coating dissolved, activating the motors. Imaging of mice that had been given the vaccine showed that the micromotors accumulated in the intestinal wall much better than non-motorized particles. The micromotors also stimulated the production of about ten times more IgA antibodies against the Staphylococcal ?-toxin than the static particles.
Learn more: Micromotors deliver oral vaccines
The Latest on: Oral vaccines
via Google News
The Latest on: Oral vaccines
- Animal Vaccines Market share research by applications and regions on April 17, 2019 at 4:57 am
With various technological advances, parasitic vaccines market will witness tremendous growth in the future. Make Inquiry about this report @ https://www.gminsights.com/inquiry-before-buying/3117 Oral ... […]
- Vaxart Doses First Patient in Randomized Cohort of Bivalent Norovirus Vaccine Phase 1b Clinical Trial on April 16, 2019 at 1:01 pm
SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Vaxart, Inc., a clinical-stage biotechnology company developing oral recombinant vaccines that are administered by tablet rather than by injection, today ... […]
- Promising malaria vaccine to be tested in first large field trial on April 16, 2019 at 12:58 pm
That poses challenges for mass vaccination campaigns because it is a more complex procedure than those typically used for other vaccines, where jabs penetrate the skin or muscles, or oral vaccines. ... […]
- Dating after 40? The millions who are should get the HPV vaccine on April 16, 2019 at 1:55 am
women and men aged 27 through 45 finally have the opportunity to obtain Gardasil 9 (the latest version of the vaccine) protect ourselves from nine of the 200 strains of human papilloma virus, some of ... […]
- 3D visualisation of hepatitis B vaccine in the oral delivery vehicle SBA-15 on April 15, 2019 at 2:18 am
Developing a technology that enables oral vaccines to work efficiently remains a considerable effort since a number of difficulties must be addressed. The key objective being to ensure the safe ... […]
- From vaccines to radiology, medical changes have mostly been for the better on April 14, 2019 at 7:00 pm
The human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine can potentially prevent up to 90 percent of cervical cancers in women as well as oral and anal cancers in both men and women. • Minimally invasive surgery — When ... […]
- Oral sex and oral cancer on April 13, 2019 at 10:35 pm
But there are vaccines that can stop these health problems ... and when engaging in oral sex, this also holds true for oral infections. Having sex with a partner who has had multiple sex partners ... […]
- The HPV vaccine is important for preteens and teenagers. What about older women? on April 13, 2019 at 10:00 am
She’s also wondering whether she is a candidate for the vaccine that protects against nine strains of the human papilloma virus (HPV) — a virus that causes most cervical, oral and anal cancer. Ten ... […]
- Fast rollout of cholera vaccines for people in need in Mozambique on April 10, 2019 at 11:21 pm
The oral cholera vaccine is one of the vital measures that can help save lives and stop the spread of this terrible disease during an outbreak.” The oral cholera vaccines, donated by Gavi from ... […]
- Global Oral Vaccines Market 2019 Vaxart, Immunitor, PaxVax, Prokarium, Probiomed, Bionaturis, MICROSYNBIOTIX on April 9, 2019 at 3:06 pm
The Global Oral Vaccines Market 2018 Research Report is an extensive Oral Vaccines Market research report contains an introduction on new trends that can guide the businesses performing in the Oral ... […]
via Bing News