A new and extremely sensitive method of measuring ultrasound could revolutionise everything from medical devices to unmanned vehicles.
Researchers at The University of Queensland have combined modern nanofabrication* and nanophotonics* techniques to build the ultraprecise ultrasound sensors on a silicon chip.
“This is a major step forward, since accurate ultrasound measurement is critical for a range of applications,” he said.
“Ultrasound is used for medical ultrasound, often to examine pregnant women, as well as for high resolution biomedical imaging to detect tumours and other anomalies.
“It’s also commonly used for spatial applications, like in the sonar imaging of underwater objects or in the navigation of unmanned aerial vehicles.
“Improving these applications requires smaller, higher precision sensors and, with this new technique, that’s exactly what we’ve been able to develop.”
The technology is so sensitive that it can hear, for the first time, the miniscule random forces from surrounding air molecules.
“We’ve developed a near perfect ultrasound detector, hitting the limits of what the technology is capable of achieving,” Professor Bowen said.
“We’re now able to measure ultrasound waves that apply tiny forces – comparable to the gravitational force on a virus – and we can do this with sensors smaller than a millimetre across.”
Research leader Dr Sahar Basiri-Esfahani, now at Swansea University, said the accuracy of the technology could change how scientists understand biology.
“We’ll soon have the ability to listen to the sound emitted by living bacteria and cells,” she said.
“This could fundamentally improve our understanding of how these small biological systems function.
“A deeper understanding of these biological systems may lead to new treatments, so we’re looking forward to seeing what future applications emerge.”
Learn more: Ultra ultrasound to revolutionise technology
The Latest on: Ultra ultrasound
via Google News
The Latest on: Ultra ultrasound
- Avante Ultrasound Aligning East & West Coast Operations on May 22, 2019 at 11:13 am
Ultra Solutions' location in Ontario, Calif. has become Avante Ultrasound's west coast operations center, and Global Medical Imaging has relocated nearby to the new, consolidated Avante Health ... […]
- Ultrasound Scanners Market to Skyrocket with AI, Cloud, and Portable and Ultra-portable Systems on May 22, 2019 at 5:03 am
Cart-based systems to dominate the portable segments in revenue shares and create growth opportunities, finds Frost & Sullivan SANTA CLARA, California, May 22, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- The mature, yet ... […]
- Postdoctoral Researcher on Integrated Circuit Design for Wireless Ultrasound Power Delivery for Deep Medical Implants on May 14, 2019 at 3:19 am
Ultra-sound is a very interesting technique for medical implants because it is not absorbed as much as RF by tissue, while ultrasound transducers can be made very small and even integrated into a chip ... […]
- High intimal flap mobility assessed by intravascular ultrasound is associated with better short-term results after TEVAR in chronic aortic dissection on May 13, 2019 at 2:22 am
Intravascular ultrasound (IVUS) allows real-time assessment 11 and provides ... The stent-graft delivery system was advanced over an ultra stiff 0.035 in guide wire (Meier Back-Up, Boston Scientific, ... […]
- Ultra-sound Footage Shows Chinese Twin Sisters Literally Fighting Since They Were in the Womb on May 9, 2019 at 5:11 pm
The pair went viral after a video from their mom’s ultrasound scan showed them in an apparent scuffle inside the womb. Their mother, 26-year-old Wang Lu, was 18 weeks pregnant when the footage ... […]
- Pro-lifers broadcast ultrasound during Times Square protest on May 4, 2019 at 7:48 pm
About 400 pro-lifers took to Times Square Saturday afternoon in a protest that included a 4D ultrasound broadcast on a big screen ... that was recently passed here [and] for people to see an ultra ... […]
- Global Ultrasound Market for Established and Emerging Clinical Applications, Forecast to 2023 on April 24, 2019 at 1:31 pm
This research service presents an analysis of the global ultrasound market.It provides an in-depth analysis of the current trends, market size, revenue forecast, market penetration, market ... […]
- Ultrasounds Lack Ultra Security, Research Shows on March 7, 2019 at 6:54 pm
Ultrasound technology using an outdated operating system is vulnerable to attack, according to new research from Check Point. In a video demonstration, researchers revealed that connected ultrasound ... […]
- Sonoscanner wins public tender for the French Army with the Ultraportable U-Lite ultrasound scanner on February 25, 2019 at 7:30 am
Paris, February 25, 2019 - The Sonoscanner ultra-portable U-Lite ultrasound scanner has just won the public tender of the French Army in the face of fierce international competition, including 5 major ... […]
via Bing News