Researchers from North Carolina State University have developed an algorithm that could give pig farms advance notice of porcine epidemic diarrhea virus (PEDV) outbreaks. The proof-of-concept algorithm has potential for use in real-time prediction of other disease outbreaks in food animals.
PEDV is a virus that causes high mortality rates in preweaned piglets. The virus emerged in the U.S. in 2013 and by 2014 had infected approximately 50 percent of breeding herds. PEDV is transmitted by contact with contaminated fecal matter.
Gustavo Machado, assistant professor of population health and pathobiology at NC State and corresponding author of a paper describing the work, developed a pipeline utilizing machine-learning techniques to create an algorithm capable of predicting PEDV outbreaks in space and time.
Machado, with colleagues from the University of Minnesota and Brazil’s Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, used weekly farm-level incidence data from sow farms to create the model. The data included all pig movement types, hog density, and environmental and weather factors such as vegetation, wind speed, temperature and precipitation.
The researchers looked at “neighborhoods” that were defined as a 10-kilometer radius around sow farms. They fed the model information about outbreaks, animal movements into each neighborhood and the environmental characteristics inside each neighborhood. Ultimately, their model was able to predict PEDV outbreaks with approximately 80 percent accuracy.
The most important risk factor for predicting PEDV spread was pig movement into and through the 10 km neighborhood, although neighborhood environment – including slope and vegetation – also influenced risk.
“This proof-of-concept model identified the PEDV spread bottleneck in North Carolina and allowed us to rank infection risk factors in order of importance,” Machado says. “As we get more data from other farm sites across the U.S., we expect the model’s accuracy to increase. Our end goal is to have near real-time risk predictions so that farmers and veterinarians can provide preventative care to high-risk areas and make decisions based on data.”
Next steps for the researchers include improving the model to predict a wider range of diseases and expanding it to include other industries, such as poultry.
The Latest on: Machine learning predictions
via Google News
The Latest on: Machine learning predictions
- AI with CTA may predict adverse events vs. other prediction scoreson June 25, 2019 at 7:50 am
Coronary CTA assessed by machine learning was able to better distinguish patients who had an adverse event compared with the Coronary Artery Disease Reporting and Data System, or CAD-RADS, and other ... […]
- Retina Launches AI, Machine Learning Tool For E-commerce Companieson June 25, 2019 at 5:52 am
Los Angeles-based Retina, a startup which develops machine learning and artificial intelligence software ... software to help Dollar Shave Club with its customer lifetime value predictions. Retina is ... […]
- The 3 Stages of Machine Learning in IoT-Enabled Asset Optimizationon June 24, 2019 at 5:05 am
He also develops machine learning models in serverless architecture to generate real-time predictions and enhance data processing efficiency. Sathish runs the School of AI, Seattle and holds an MS ... […]
- Ag-Analytics and LSU AgCenter Partnership Brings AI and Machine Learning to Yield Predictionson June 20, 2019 at 2:27 pm
The Ag-Analytics cloud platform makes big data and machine learning applications in agriculture a reality for universities by securely connecting farmers with researchers and extension. ITHACA, N ... […]
- Researchers develop 'vaccine' against attacks on machine learningon June 20, 2019 at 6:34 am
Algorithms 'learn' from the data they are trained on to create a machine learning model that can perform a given task effectively without needing specific instructions, such as making predictions ... […]
- CSIRO's Data61 develops 'vaccine' against attacks on machine learningon June 19, 2019 at 2:00 pm
algorithms "learn" from the data they are trained on to create a machine learning model that can perform a given task effectively without needing specific instructions. An example is making ... […]
- Machine Learning Chip Market Forecast 2019 Outlook, Overview and Analysis Report to 2025on June 19, 2019 at 9:00 am
This data is used to take better decisions and make predictions in applications, such as stock trading, medicals, machine load forecasting, and others. For instance, many media sites depend on machine ... […]
- Google Leverages BigQuery and Machine Learning Templates for Predictive Marketing Analyticson June 19, 2019 at 4:19 am
data aggregation and transformation (for feature and label creation), machine learning model creation, and surfacing predictions from the model on a dashboard. Marketing News: Adobe's Marketo ... […]
- Predicting the Young’s Modulus of Silicate Glasses using High-Throughput Molecular Dynamics Simulations and Machine Learningon June 19, 2019 at 2:38 am
Here, as an alternative route, we combine machine learning with high-throughput molecular dynamics simulations to predict the Young’s modulus of silicate glasses. We demonstrate that this combined ... […]
- Combined network analysis and machine learning allows the prediction of metabolic pathways from tomato metabolomics dataon June 18, 2019 at 11:16 pm
The identification and understanding of metabolic pathways is a key aspect in crop improvement and drug design. The common approach for their detection is based on gene annotation and ontology. ... […]
via Bing News